Check your account email address ×

Random Photo Thread

13 hours ago, Kivalo said:

This boat has wifi and it ain't great but it works. Pretty sweet!

I'm always interested in the motors in those giant tugs.  My nephew graduated Maine Maritime and works on big tankers now.  Its crazy some of the systems and just how huge everything is.

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm always interested in the motors in those giant tugs.  My nephew graduated Maine Maritime and works on big tankers now.  Its crazy some of the systems and just how huge everything is.

We have Cat 399's but we think our shafts were poorly ballenced because they shake above 750rpms. Where does nephew sail? Does he do a regular route?

7 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Starlink?

Shit works everywhere.

Not yet! We have been trying to get the company to spring for it tho. We have KVH and it does work but it's too slow to stream anything.

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

We have Cat 399's but we think our shafts were poorly ballenced because they shake above 750rpms. Where does nephew sail? Does he do a regular route?

Not yet! We have been trying to get the company to spring for it tho. We have KVH and it does work but it's too slow to stream anything.

He’s been on a couple tankers and other kinds of boats whose function or name escapes me.  He’s already been around the world and he’s only 25.  I forget, you did mention those big cats thought you might have been on a different boat. :bc:  Is that the one you guys put fresh cutlass bearings on?  Drivetrain vibrations would drive me nuts.  A buddy had a bad one in his 48’ Viking that he has been going through.  My boat has twin 12 liter 715 hp Volvos, which are silly fun.  Spent a couple hrs this weekend getting more of the leds working again.  Boat is coming around.  

56738D76-07FB-4706-8A35-0A8299E03086.jpeg

BD767187-EA6A-4F04-80AB-C75C1B9AE17F.jpeg

• Like 4

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

He’s been on a couple tankers and other kinds of boats whose function or name escapes me.  He’s already been around the world and he’s only 25.  I forget, you did mention those big cats thought you might have been on a different boat. :bc:  Is that the one you guys put fresh cutlass bearings on?  Drivetrain vibrations would drive me nuts.  A buddy had a bad one in his 48’ Viking that he has been going through.  My boat has twin 12 liter 715 hp Volvos, which are silly fun.  Spent a couple hrs this weekend getting more of the leds working again.  Boat is coming around.  

56738D76-07FB-4706-8A35-0A8299E03086.jpeg

BD767187-EA6A-4F04-80AB-C75C1B9AE17F.jpeg

Yeah this is the same boat, it's been a whole bunch of issues but she's getting her sea legs now. Fucking thing rides like a cork without fuel tho. We've been in the ditch for most of the 7 days we've been at sea and its been a darn shit show of things being tossed around. We need another 40k in fuel to settle her out but we also gotta bring her over the yukon river bar. Can't do both I'm afraid.  

Is your nephew deck or engineer? Engineering guys have way more options shore side.  :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

Yeah this is the same boat, it's been a whole bunch of issues but she's getting her sea legs now. Fucking thing rides like a cork without fuel tho. We've been in the ditch for most of the 7 days we've been at sea and its been a darn shit show of things being tossed around. We need another 40k in fuel to settle her out but we also gotta bring her over the yukon river bar. Can't do both I'm afraid.  

Is your nephew deck or engineer? Engineering guys have way more options shore side.  :bc:

Thats crazy, and big big power I bet.  My brother and I followed a big ass tug towing a barge up the intercoastal a few years back, just amazing watching those things.  Whats diesel going for out that way, do you know?  It got down to $3.49/gal here for a bit, but is creeping back up close to 4 bucks again.

Nephew is an engineer from what I gather.  He bitches about the job, but it pays really well.  He's down inside the boat working on various systems and trying to work his way up.  I don't know the different titles, but you probably do.  :bc: 

Edited by DriftBusta

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Sael said:

Photos my Father took on Ektachrome of training with the 10th Mountain during WWII.  Except for the hair I got on a few it’s pretty amazing quality for almost 80 year old slides.

011.thumb.jpeg.0c942b6f5e3dff24fc353dfea6b0f67c.jpeg017.thumb.jpeg.9ad87630abb4ad3116fb18d1d4393044.jpeg013.thumb.jpeg.8b08ad9b8b5be6777495f7cac7b6ee98.jpeg018.thumb.jpeg.671452f1487413d660af2107bbd93cd3.jpeg015.thumb.jpeg.2a40317d423b169f933f0a842b7a9d8f.jpeg014.thumb.jpeg.9c260a3788dcd95927d8c7a3070eadaa.jpeg010.thumb.jpeg.495810e10fc220ce2177f2c8a2f96c6c.jpeg

Amazing shots…thank you for sharing.👊🏻🇺🇸

• Like 2

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Thats crazy, and big big power I bet.  My brother and I followed a big ass tug towing a barge up the intercoastal a few years back, just amazing watching those things.  Whats diesel going for out that way, do you know?  It got down to $3.49/gal here for a bit, but is creeping back up close to 4 bucks again.

Nephew is an engineer from what I gather.  He bitches about the job, but it pays really well.  He's down inside the boat working on various systems and trying to work his way up.  I don't know the different titles, but you probably do.  :bc: 

Engineer is the way to go for a young guy. He can transition to a multitude of shore side positions when he's ready,deck crew not so much. He's got a bright future ahead of him. :bc:

You know given that I deliver fuel you'd think I know the price but I ha e no idea.  I know in Alaska its more expensive in general but in western Alaska it's much much more expensive. 

We are headed to Nunivak late tonight and then the Yukon River after that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Engineer is the way to go for a young guy. He can transition to a multitude of shore side positions when he's ready,deck crew not so much. He's got a bright future ahead of him. :bc:

You know given that I deliver fuel you'd think I know the price but I ha e no idea.  I know in Alaska its more expensive in general but in western Alaska it's much much more expensive. 

He's a pretty smart kid.  25 and already owns a 2 family and a place up north.  Gets girls at will but has no commitments. And he's a cheapskate.  So he'll go far.  :lol: 

Nice.  Safe travels  :bc: 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

That Yukon must be a sumbitch to navigate…isn’t it constantly changing with shifting sandbars?

• Gold Member
6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That Yukon must be a sumbitch to navigate…isn’t it constantly changing with shifting sandbars?

Yep! We usually send a sounding skiff ahead of us for the first trip up or until someone gets a good trackline for the season. I've been stuck for a few hours in the Yukon more than once. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Yep! We usually send a sounding skiff ahead of us for the first trip up or until someone gets a good trackline for the season. I've been stuck for a few hours in the Yukon more than once. 

I can't even imagine running a boat that big and heavy aground.  :lol: 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I can't even imagine running a boat that big and heavy aground.  :lol: 

Well I better not be cause this one ain't built for it! We got 2 ATB's that are purpose built to go dry. Those can touch up to a mud bar every now and again and still be ok.

• Like 1