Does your state/prov have a speed limit?

Is there a snowmobile speed limit in your state or province? Is it enforced? 

NH has a state wide speed limit of 45 mph. Fish and Game gives you 10 mph and wont ticket you unless you are going 56 mph or above. Here in VT the only speed limit is on state and federal land where the speed limit is 35 mph.

Yes, I think it is 50 in MN.  I ride where it is weakly enforced because there is no need for it.  30-60 mph are average speeds on my trails.  I personally have not seen much enforcement at all in MN.  Our LEO's are pretty lax because of tourism (they "get it").  I do know they sit by the lake and bar trail heads looking for the "drunkies".

Just what I've seen anyway.  :dunno:

Ontario is 50 km per hour. Enforcement I have found is for the most part sparse and tends to be in the more populous busier trails. Many are such you can't get up to the speed limit. It also depends on the officer you come across, how far over the limit and the attitude of the rider whether you will be ticketed or not.

After coming out of a winding trail through the trees we hit a wide open field. We weren't excessive but were about 75 kph according to the radar. We were stopped and the officer told us that since we had our license ownership insurance and trail permit he was just going to caution us to watch our speed. There were two others however that were giving his partner a whole bunch of attitude about not having real criminals to catch etc.

They were apparently not so lucky. They were going faster than us. I don't know by how much but they did receive multiple tickets that day. The speed would have been one and they were likely missing some of the necessary documents.

• Like 1

Its 50kph on trails in ON but loosely enforced.  Normally checks are for paperwork.

This past summer was the first time I came across OPP on the ATV trails.  Just asked if we had everything, did not actually check.  Oh and if we had any alcohol, yes at 10am.

• Like 1

I always tried to keep it at 55 -60 mph in NH because I didn't want a ticket.. The fine wasn't the problem. Up until a few years ago if you got a ticket you were required to attend a Fish & Game "bad boys" class the next fall. If you failed to show up you couldn't register your sled. I think that's the reason @Sal Rosenberg stopped riding NH.

4 hours ago, ckf said:

50 kph seems slow. What is that like 30 mph?

Yup... primary reason is to keep the insurance premiums for the Ontario Federation of Snow Mobile Clubs affordable I believe. Some of the trails through the bush don't come close to being able to ride at 50 and there isn't any speed limit on the lakes.

Just now, 02sled said:

Yup... primary reason is to keep the insurance premiums for the Ontario Federation of Snow Mobile Clubs affordable I believe. Some of the trails through the bush don't come close to being able to ride at 50 and there isn't any speed limit on the lakes.

Same in NH. Vermont on the other hand has a speed limit of 50mph on lakes.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Same in NH. Vermont on the other hand has a speed limit of 50mph on lakes.

The lakes aren't considered actual trails therefore no speed limit. You get hurt or killed on the ice, no snowmobile club to sue.

7 hours ago, ckf said:

50 kph seems slow. What is that like 30 mph?

It,s not only slow. It is very  painful, and a dumb limit, set by the OFSC to keep their trail insurance costs down.

If they enforced that speed limit aggressively, our total group would get out of sledding, never to return.

What a waste of OPP resources here in Ontario, that have to monitor and enforce 50 KPH trail speeds.

I can understand having that limit near towns and cities, but out in the middle of a one mile long field, I don,t think so.

We don,t  snowmobile to go out bird watching, we love to travel the trails, shoot the breeze during stops, and have some nice meals in different clubhouses or restaurants.

At 50 KMH, we could pack a lunch and eat it while driving with 1 hand.

We tried driving at 50 kph one day for about an hour, and we were all going crazy, waiting for  the time to be up to get back to our normal pace.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, favoritos said:

Snowmobiles are banned in our county.  It is stupid.

There is a reason why I ride the UP.

I also love the fact that most areas up there just let you ride.  Speed limits suck.

Banned :lol: must be leftards 

• Like 1

Many things in our world make no sense.

Snowmobiles here are banned here because they are so dangerous to the environment and people.>:(  Whatever.

But,this same county is working with city officials to build housing and retail on a hazardous waste site.

The peeps running the show are not Leftards.  I have another term.  Not posting that one.:salute:  They just don't do their research and find out the truth.

It is a bummer. 

No speed limit in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, 55 mph at night in Wisconsin, 50 mph in Minnesota, 50 kph in Ontario, 70 kph in Quebec.

I've been stopped in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ontario. 

The Wisconsin stop was leaving the Derby after Friday Night Thunder about 10:30 PM a few years ago heading up towards Land O, just north of the ER the trail kicks you on a 20 MPH road, Yamagoon and one of my Nook buds hammered it up, over the hill were the LEO's along with two squads that came up from behind...I'm thinking ohh fuck here we go with with police wanting to kiss us :lol: Good news is they only asked me and LACAT for ID as they only had the other two on radar, so after the ID check LACAT and I were free to go so we rode a mile or so into the woods on a -30F night waiting and hoping the boys didn't have any other issues beside speeding and they did not, just $275.00 speeding tickets :lol: 

The Ontario stop was a warning by the OPP just south of Chapleau along highway 129, went through a STOP speed trap just west of Timmins on the 101 back in 2002, other than that most of Northern Ontario is hold it to the bar until you get close to town.

Minnesota was a warning on the Soo line near Remer.

On 11/19/2016 at 7:29 PM, Ez ryder said:

I live in a democrat strong hold what do u think?

of course my state government is looking out for my best interest and enforcing with fines    

I think it's a great state to ride in, northwestern MN is all hold it to the bar riding as is all of it heading up and over to Voyageurs and the Range.

32 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I think it's a great state to ride in, northwestern MN is all hold it to the bar riding as is all of it heading up and over to Voyageurs and the Range.

The maximum speed limit for a snowmobile in Minnesota is 50 mph.I think Polaris helped craft that law to try to lvl the playing field

and yes I have been popped a few times most around my house on the lake but 1 time in Hackensack  . I plan on a few more in my day also. good thing is they don't go on your driving record it is a MN DNR citation for the most part.  

Edited by Ez ryder

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 11/23/2016 at 10:57 PM, Ez ryder said:

The maximum speed limit for a snowmobile in Minnesota is 50 mph.I think Polaris helped craft that law to try to lvl the playing field

and yes I have been popped a few times most around my house on the lake but 1 time in Hackensack  . I plan on a few more in my day also. good thing is they don't go on your driving record it is a MN DNR citation for the most part.  

Its the same in Ontario. The ticket is $110 regardless of speed and it doesn't count against your driver's license.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2016 at 5:41 PM, Frostynuts said:

It,s not only slow. It is very  painful, and a dumb limit, set by the OFSC to keep their trail insurance costs down.

If they enforced that speed limit aggressively, our total group would get out of sledding, never to return.

What a waste of OPP resources here in Ontario, that have to monitor and enforce 50 KPH trail speeds.

I can understand having that limit near towns and cities, but out in the middle of a one mile long field, I don,t think so.

We don,t  snowmobile to go out bird watching, we love to travel the trails, shoot the breeze during stops, and have some nice meals in different clubhouses or restaurants.

At 50 KMH, we could pack a lunch and eat it while driving with 1 hand.

We tried driving at 50 kph one day for about an hour, and we were all going crazy, waiting for  the time to be up to get back to our normal pace.

The speed limit is actually set by the MSVA aka motorized snow vehicle act which is a government law.

Some jurisdictions actually have speed limits on lakes.

Edited by soupkid