Check your account email address ×

I ain't riding bitches.

19 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

We had a guy lost from our group on the night ride in that cold, 2 guys went back looking for him, I stayed with the wives, it took them 1-1/2 hours to find him, I was ready to torch a sled to prevent the girls & myself from freezing to Death while we waited, none of us knew exactly where we were never having rode there before, the lost guy had the only map and he was drunk..LOL.. When everyone was finally together we were all frozen silly so we rode illegally down a road till we came to a bar which was not on any trail, they were very happy to see our group show up and treated us unbelievingly well as we all warmed up at their fireplace and ate Prime Rib..

And lived happily ever after :lol: 

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Coldest we rode was in 1982 Eagle River area, 47 below, lots of sleds were out, more sleds in the bars though.

We were out in -43f and I have zero interest in riding in that shit unless absolutely necessary.  We were saddlebagging so it actually was.  Screw your layers in that stuff, heavy insulated imo.  My Reima gear was heavy and bulky but warmer than my high zoot Klim.  Right now, it’s -15 with a -45f ish chill factor.  I ain’t riding today.

16 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

We were out in -43f and I have zero interest in riding in that shit unless absolutely necessary.  We were saddlebagging so it actually was.  Screw your layers in that stuff, heavy insulated imo.  My Reima gear was heavy and bulky but warmer than my high zoot Klim.  Right now, it’s -15 with a -45f ish chill factor.  I ain’t riding today.

That was the only time we went "up North" that season so we were determined and rode everyday, my 1972 GMC truck wouldn't start but it was stick shift so another guy in our group pulled my truck till it finally fired.. we stayed at a friends cabin on Pretty Lake, no insulation and only a free standing oil space heater, I should find the pics and post them, only 3 of us didn't get frostbite, I was 1 of the Lucky ones.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, ckf said:

Anything below -10 sucks IMO.

That's were I kind of draw the line.   Rode plenty in -20 F and lower and it gets pretty tough.  When the electric shield can no longer keep up its time to park the sleds.  

Edited by Highmark

The ride back after dinner last night was -20F, with my current setup I have a leak that hits me right below my chin, I stopped to warm it up before I got the bite, the wife was all good.

My boys went to the bar across the lake while we were out to dinner, the one guy has the bite on both sides of his neck.

Early this morning.

IMG_5877.PNG

39 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's were I kind of draw the line.   Rode plenty in -20 F and lower and it gets pretty tough.  When the electric shield can no longer keep up its time to park the sleds.  

BV2S FTW no need to even plug it in.  I'm amazed by that helmet I actually got the elec shield and never plugged it in once last year.  I did string my plug to the battery on the new sled just in case i needed it this year as there was one day my riding partner had issues with ice fog but i was wearing my MX.

27 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

BV2S FTW no need to even plug it in.  I'm amazed by that helmet I actually got the elec shield and never plugged it in once last year.  I did string my plug to the battery on the new sled just in case i needed it this year as there was one day my riding partner had issues with ice fog but i was wearing my MX.

Just can't get over that spaceman look.  :lol:  You know gotta look cool.  :lol:  

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Just can't get over that spaceman look.  :lol:  You know gotta look cool.  :lol:  

i fought buying one for years,  I always yanked the breath box out of helmets because i didn't like the claustrophobic feeling but i finally broke down and got one and overall love it.  terrible on offtrail days when your gonna work up a sweat but trail riding once it gets down close to zero is really almost perfect.  if they made it from carbon fiber and made the mask about 1/2 inch deeper so my nose didn't touch it would be perfect.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i fought buying one for years,  I always yanked the breath box out of helmets because i didn't like the claustrophobic feeling but i finally broke down and got one and overall love it.  terrible on offtrail days when your gonna work up a sweat but trail riding once it gets down close to zero is really almost perfect.  if they made it from carbon fiber and made the mask about 1/2 inch deeper so my nose didn't touch it would be perfect.  

I have a Doo Mod 3 helmet and it's great for fog/ice.   I don't need an electric shield but it pushed into my chin and I fucking hate it.  

I've been wearing sno-cross style helmets since 96 but when it gets down in temps I go to a shielded helmet.  

I remember on a trip in 96 to the mountains and not many people were even wearing them out there then.  

54 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Ice fog and freezing rain are a pita with bv2s...i have an electric shield...but it doesn't work very good.

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Ice fog and freezing rain are a pita with bv2s...i have an electric shield...but it doesn't work very good.

they really are with any helmet that has a bigger shield as the ice starts stacking up and is hard for the electric to keep up,  at  that point i prefer a set of goggles that i can press on and break it up then use the glove scraper. 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

they really are with any helmet that has a bigger shield as the ice starts stacking up and is hard for the electric to keep up,  at  that point i prefer a set of goggles that i can press on and break it up then use the glove scraper. 

My old HJC's always stayed clear. :dunno:

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

One of the guys in our group rode at -40 for lows for a week on a chibougamou trip a few years back. Had to drag his yamaha in a garage every morning to start it. Did -30 once and it wasn't too bad with a tall windshield, but honestly below 0 I'd rather be grooming in a heated cab anyways. :lol::bc:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

We had a guy lost from our group on the night ride in that cold, 2 guys went back looking for him, I stayed with the wives, it took them 1-1/2 hours to find him, I was ready to torch a sled to prevent the girls & myself from freezing to Death while we waited, none of us knew exactly where we were never having rode there before, the lost guy had the only map and he was drunk..LOL.. When everyone was finally together we were all frozen silly so we rode illegally down a road till we came to a bar which was not on any trail, they were very happy to see our group show up and treated us unbelievingly well as we all warmed up at their fireplace and ate Prime Rib..

That's a fantastic way to finish a saga like that one :lol:  :bc:     We rode 18 miles down the road one night in a blizzard as we simple didn't have enough fuel left to make it going through the woods .   There was 8 or 10 inches on the road since the last plow had come through .  One sled made it 8 miles and flamed out due to lack of fuel .  By the time we made it back with the truck to retrieve it , the plow had come by and punted it into the snowbank :lol: