Check your account email address ×

Official 2018-2019 sledding post

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Where was that?

We started up just outside of Sudbury and rode to Gowganda. 250 kms with nowhere to stop for fuel/warm up. All the older sleds had to use up their spare fuel and the dummies were running along at 70-80 mph which made the windchill 60-70 below. Three or four ended up with frostbite

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We started up just outside of Sudbury and rode to Gowganda. 250 kms with nowhere to stop for fuel/warm up. All the older sleds had to use up their spare fuel and the dummies were running along at 70-80 mph which made the windchill 60-70 below. Three or four ended up with frostbite

That is cold....windchill is a worthless citiot term though...means nothing 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That is cold....windchill is a worthless citiot term though...means nothing 

You've never gotten a draft in your helmet or elsewhere that caused a bit of frostbite? If it wasn't for that windchill, you wouldn't have gotten frostbite  :news:

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

You've never gotten a draft in your helmet or elsewhere that caused a bit of frostbite? If it wasn't for that windchill, you wouldn't have gotten frostbite  :news:

Totally false

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Totally false

OK, explain how I got frostbite on my upper cheek in an hour at 0°f? wearing one of those 1st gen Ski Doo modular helmets? I could have been outside well over an hour in calm conditions with nothing covering the same area without getting frostbite.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

OK, explain how I got frostbite on my upper cheek in an hour at 0°f? wearing one of those 1st gen Ski Doo modular helmets? I could have been outside well over an hour in calm conditions with nothing covering the same area without getting frostbite.

Air moving over skin will wick heat away quicker. This is 3rd grade thermal dynamics. We dont need some useless gay made up "feels like" number to tell us this.

What if you were riding your sled...at 59mph with a 58mph wind at your back??? Would the gay ass windchill be 1??? Lolz 

Just now, f7ben said:

Air moving over skin will wick heat away quicker. This is 3rd grade thermal dynamics. We dont need some useless gay made up "feels like" number to tell us this.

What if you were riding your sled...at 59mph with a 58mph wind at your back??? Would the gay ass windchill be 1??? Lolz 

Isn't that wind chill?  Agreed on the numbers part, but that doesn't mean that wind doesn't make you feel colder.

Just now, ckf said:

Isn't that wind chill?  Agreed on the numbers part, but that doesn't mean that wind doesn't make you feel colder.

Yes....it is wind chill. Expressing it as a function of "feels like" is my issue.

Park a car outside in -10f weather. It matters very little how hard the wind blows. The car will be -10f in short order and that is as cold as it will get.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Do we use "wind warm" in summer months when its 105f out with a 20mph wind? Does it "feel like" 125f out then lol

Actually these blowhard weather people started doing that with humidity a yr or so ago. Its pathetic.A simple " you are going to sweat your balls off " will suffice.

Just now, f7ben said:

Yes....it is wind chill. Expressing it as a function of "feels like" is my issue.

Park a car outside in -10f weather. It matters very little how hard the wind blows. The car will be -10f in short order and that is as cold as it will get.

:iagree:   It only effects the human skin, not inanimate objects.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ckf said:

:iagree:   It only effects the human skin, not inanimate objects.

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:bigfinger:

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

This

Of course we have numbnuts putting in his 2 cents above ya. 

:ben:

:lol:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Do we use "wind warm" in summer months when its 105f out with a 20mph wind? Does it "feel like" 125f out then lol

LOL!! I think we're more concerned with wind chill because it hurts exposed skin, wind warm doesn't. :lmao:

3 hours ago, ckf said:

I remember when we had Lazer helmets, when it got down around -20f we would duct tape around the face shield before we went out for the days ride.

Lazer-Snowmobile-Helmet-By-Cross-Belgium

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildboer said:

I remember when we had Lazer helmets, when it got down around -20f we would duct tape around the face shield before we went out for the days ride.

Lazer-Snowmobile-Helmet-By-Cross-Belgium

I had a Lazer helmet back in the 90's. What a piece of crap compared to the newer stuff :bc:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

They do, it's called heat index. 

• Like 1