Check your account email address ×

***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

16 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Evening from my happy place...

20200515_204000.jpg

20200515_203955.jpg

Oh yea, that is a very happy place no doubt.  The evening sun sets right in front of your place.  So cool.

10 minutes ago, irv said:

I'm looking forward to that big time! Hopefully next weekends weather co-operates. 

IMG_1361 (Large).JPG

That is a Happy Place too.  Lake life is a blessed life.  Hard to imagine life not living on a lake.  

25933_330091204137_8071797_n.jpg?_nc_cat

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Oh yea, that is a very happy place no doubt.  The evening sun sets right in front of your place.  So cool.

That is a Happy Place too.  Lake life is a blessed life.  Hard to imagine life not living on a lake.  

25933_330091204137_8071797_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Love the view.

2 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Love the view.

Thanks.  The view is better in winter with no leaves on the trees but summer is so green.  Our lake is fairly small.  About 500 acres.  Almost 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide.  No public access and no business, bars or restaurants on the lake.  It's connected by creeks to 5 other lakes in a chain.  Some of those lakes have bars, restaurants and marinas.  Back when we first bought the place in the 80's I could ride my jetski to and from the bar.  Now there are roads and culverts and subdivisions that make it a little more difficult.  Hahaha

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thanks.  The view is better in winter with no leaves on the trees but summer is so green.  Our lake is fairly small.  About 500 acres.  Almost 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide.  No public access and no business, bars or restaurants on the lake.  It's connected by creeks to 5 other lakes in a chain.  Some of those lakes have bars, restaurants and marinas.  Back when we first bought the place in the 80's I could ride my jetski to and from the bar.  Now there are roads and culverts and subdivisions that make it a little more difficult.  Hahaha

Our lake is about 400 acres with only 18 cabin and homes. The rest of the land is state forest. I

We are only 6 miles from one of the most popular chains of lakes in the state but you wouldn't know.

2 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Our lake is about 400 acres with only 18 cabin and homes. The rest of the land is state forest. I

We are only 6 miles from one of the most popular chains of lakes in the state but you wouldn't know.

Being just off the beaten path is very nice.  Our lake is probably closer to 400 acres than it is to 500.  This lake is very shallow, probably 10' average depth  Lots of 4'-5' deep stuff with the riverbed at 42' max.  It warms up super fast.  And freezes fast in the winter.  We bought our old place in 1987.  There were 8 full time residents on the lake at the time and about 10 recreational cabins.  There are 50 homes on the lake now and basically no cabins. Almost all of the properties are from 2 to 5 acres in size.  We are only 4 miles from town so not secluded at all.  The town is basically built around Wasilla Lake which is 2 lakes down river from us.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I’ve seen plenty of videos of jet boats jumping roads. Stop being a puss.:lol:

• Haha 1

Went to a state park today. Parking lots full. Tons of people there. Nobody wearing masks. Bunch of big picnics going on. It was nice to get my wife and daughter outside and away from crazy people. Just 30 miles south of us feels like being in another state, with the exception of not being able to eat in a restaurant. Pritz sucks signs everywhere.

30DE749D-9F94-4CAC-AE1A-52682DC13EF1.jpeg

C18A3D47-78BE-4A6D-AF7C-E9132951E4B7.jpeg

DE467D34-C8A7-42E0-AACA-625398690E22.jpeg

9039E16E-45CD-4CE7-81A3-59E668287B31.jpeg

F3D56F50-02B7-4BB3-B58C-345EF6D9DEE7.jpeg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

More fun on the lake planned again today. These kids cant get enough of the lake life. 

5E546BD0-A1B0-443E-8D07-0DDFC6488FA1.jpeg

That's what it's all about. I consider myself very fortunate to have spent a lot of time on the lake during my childhood. As an adult I took it for granted and used the lake mostly in the winter as a way to access the snowmobile trails. There were a few summers that I never dipped my toe in the lake where we lived. Enjoy it Tom :bc:  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Opening day in our county trails the other day, I’ve never seen it so busy.  Tough to get a parking spot at the staging area. 

B585238E-9ECF-4A51-BE4A-F3B17697DF18.jpeg

274B2857-4305-49CE-9F30-54B672D3A34D.jpeg

F63DC4E9-D098-4BA7-A09D-2CAC4F2BB985.png

Cool stuff man. Looks like fun. 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Cool stuff man. Looks like fun. 

Pretty lucky to have these tracts in my area.  Permit is $80 season, and the rider is permitted not the machine.  Enforcement was active on Saturday, one cop with one of the club’s directors, I don’t think anyone got charged though (need plate,permit, and insurance). 

19 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It's the same around here. All the parking areas are packed and the trails are like grand central

What a gong show eh!  This is my closest go to spot, and it’s normally not busy, even on a weekend. Hopefully it calms down a bit. Will see what it’s like during the week. 

10 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

What a gong show eh!  This is my closest go to spot, and it’s normally not busy, even on a weekend. Hopefully it calms down a bit. Will see what it’s like during the week. 

The trails opened on Tues and we started seeing atvs/sxs and dirt bikes. Fri,Sat and yesterday it was crazy. It's been quiet today so maybe they're all tired lol

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

More fun on the lake planned again today. These kids cant get enough of the lake life. 

5E546BD0-A1B0-443E-8D07-0DDFC6488FA1.jpeg

D8CE4FD1-69B5-4BF4-8D2E-CD6CF30771B6.jpeg

02361932-D5A3-4C0C-9F57-88CC8132A47A.jpeg

775E1C62-4570-4838-9E29-046EE7AB1510.jpeg

38DF9FE1-5CBB-48A6-A68D-3B8356B553E6.jpeg

A71FE18F-AA3E-4278-942E-17E9587B795F.jpeg

Looks awesome tom, beautiful area. Imma have to visit soon.

3 minutes ago, s pump said:

Looks awesome tom, beautiful area. Imma have to visit soon.

June and July is fishing season.  Probably the best months to visit.  The busiest months to visit no doubt.  Hahaha

1 hour ago, ckf said:

That's what it's all about. I consider myself very fortunate to have spent a lot of time on the lake during my childhood. As an adult I took it for granted and used the lake mostly in the winter as a way to access the snowmobile trails. There were a few summers that I never dipped my toe in the lake where we lived. Enjoy it Tom :bc:  

The little guy on the tube is my 5 year old grandson.  I taught him how to swim last year when he was 4.  He has snorkeling gear and can swim completely under the Toon from one side to the other.  He was so excited to tube this year.  Right off the bat he tried to stand up and surf the tube.  Fell off a few times and wasn't even bothered by bobbing by himself in the water for a few minutes.  Hardest working little kid I have ever been around.  Every day he says to me: Grandpa, whats on your list today. What do we need to get done?

0ED4FD04-707B-4F2E-B528-E72DCA90872F.jpeg

6F74A92A-F3A5-401E-AC0F-8F1E5A1B1967.jpeg

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The little guy on the tube is my 5 year old grandson.  I taught him how to swim last year when he was 4.  He has snorkeling gear and can swim completely under the Toon from one side to the other.  He was so excited to tube this year.  Right off the bat he tried to stand up and surf the tube.  Fell off a few times and wasn't even bothered by bobbing by himself in the water for a few minutes.  Hardest working little kid I have ever been around.  Every day he says to me: Grandpa, whats on your list today. What do we need to get done?

6F74A92A-F3A5-401E-AC0F-8F1E5A1B1967.jpeg

Great stuff, Tom. Starting them young is the only way to go.

Off topic, but what do you recommend for a starting boat battery? I am leaning toward a dedicated Marine starting battery like an Interstate instead of a deep cycle or dual purpose one. My boat currently has 2 batteries but I only use the one for starting, nothing more. My other battery runs the radio, lights, fish finder and trolling motor.

I like this one, and I assume it would be cheaper than a deep cycle anyways? It exceeds the required CCA and CA of my engine and is the proper size.  https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/24m-hd?productLine=marine&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

Would appreciate your thoughts. :bc:

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Off topic, but what do you recommend for a starting boat battery? I am leaning toward a dedicated Marine starting battery like an Interstate instead of a deep cycle or dual purpose one. My boat currently has 2 batteries but I only use the one for starting, nothing more. My other battery runs the radio, lights, fish finder and trolling motor.

I like this one, and I assume it would be cheaper than a deep cycle anyways? It exceeds the required CCA and CA of my engine and is the proper size.  https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/24m-hd?productLine=marine&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

I have dual marine batteries in the Toon.  They are Duracell Group 27 marine batteries I got from Batteries Plus. Not fancy or expensive  They are separated by a standard Perko marine battery isolation switch.  Outboard is connected to one and all the stereo and electronics are connected to the other.  I don't think the outboard really needs a marine deep cycle battery but I like the lug style terminal connections of a marine battery.  

8501dp-2_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, irv said:

That group 24 battery should be perfect for your outboard.  

14 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

That group 24 battery should be perfect for your outboard.  

Thanks, Tom. That is what I am thinking as well. Going to try and grab one tomorrow or at least order it if they don't have one in stock? :bc:

Eastbound and down....  St Lawrence & Atlantic leaving Island Pond and headed to Maine.  The train travels 4 nights a week between IP and Yarmouth, ME. During the days it leaves Island Pond and travels to wherever it's destination is in Quebec.  A lot of empty cars on the westbound trip. Eastbound loads are mostly wood products and propane during the winter months.

20200520-20200520-DJI_0160-HDR.jpg

• Like 1