Check your account email address ×

Is it too early to start talking about sleds?

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Rips on 600's for years on end.

Buys 600 Polaris.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think he bought an 800 didn't he?  

Yeah...he was fucking with everybody at first saying it was a 600 the little prankster. 

15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ever try a pre studded?  Like ice ripper?  I had one on my Doo at first.  Worked fairly well and no tear outs at all.  Just not enough traction as the full studs.

I've never been of cobra.  My buddy has tried two now and they are a mess compared to my rippys by the end of the season.  We do zero off trail though so I think they are better for that stuff.

The tear outs on my 09 Turbo were from riding the rocks on the north shore did the damage below, so for 2010 I put a 136 Ice Ripper on it and then proceeded to fry those little bastards off riding powder snow on the paved section of H58 through the Lake Superior National Seashore.

Riding with one of the locals and we were just barreling on a road close to the lake in early December that had a foot or so of fresh LE snow on top of the pavement, it was full lock power slides with the throttle clamped through the curves for like 40 miles, those poor studs never stood a chance :lol: I pulled what was left of them out after that weekend, Anler has been using the Ice Ripper on his Doo with success.

Back in mid March 1998 I was up in NW QC and we hit a quarter mile wide river crossing that was all glare ice, it would have sucked dirty ass to be without studs on that day.

The Cobra track was great off trail, the Turbo tank surprised the hell out of me with how well it walked out of deep snow.

Christmas Party 12-19-08 036.jpg

Edited by Mileage Psycho

I like the prestudded track as well. I didn't think I would but it surprised me. Gets it done on the icy corners without all the additional rotating weight.

32 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ever try a pre studded?  Like ice ripper?  I had one on my Doo at first.  Worked fairly well and no tear outs at all.  Just not enough traction as the full studs.

I've never been a fan of cobra.  My buddy has tried two now and they are a mess compared to my rippys by the end of the season.  We do zero off trail though so I think they are better for that stuff.

yeah for a strict trail track the cobra is not the way to go it is deff designed as a soft snow single ply track to be used on hard pack as a secondary use . it is built so the scoops fold back if under to much load so they don't trench out in the soft like rip saw will.

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah for a strict trail track the cobra is not the way to go it is deff designed as a soft snow single ply track to be used on hard pack as a secondary use . it is built so the scoops fold back if under to much load so they don't trench out in the soft like rip saw will.

Yeah, he's shredded the one that came on his RXC.  We picked up a rip 2 last year at Haydays.  We'll be sticking that on soon.  

I use to get 2 or 3 new tracks a yr depending on how many sleds I had from a bud who was in charge of building the 1 offs for the factory and race teams for camoplast . he would give me the protos to run for a season to give my 2 cents .

he loved that job now stuck building tracks for tractors lol .waiting on his 30 yr mark

I met this guy in clam lake at a restaurant I had my trailer with 3 covered sleds on it backed up to the window we shot the shit over lunch.

2 days latter there are a ton of sleds parked trail side so we pass a bunch and pull over also to take 5. a guy yells hey you from MN .

the guy recognized the stud pattern in the snow . we road together the rest of that trip and did many trips together after that.

IDK who you are that is dedication and attention to detail of your job . he said it was not one of the usual patterns ? It still amazes me    

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I've never been a fan of cobra.  My buddy has tried two now and they are a mess compared to my rippys by the end of the season.  We do zero off trail though so I think they are better for that stuff.

1.6 ice cobra, the studs stiffen up the lugs so the track really works on the trail and off..

FOT85C2.jpg

Edited by Rigid1
  • Like 1

Anyone know who makes an aftermarket crankshaft for the Doos? Rebuilding this 500SS and the crank snout is grey in color and the pork chops have a letter "O" cast into it. Doesn't look stock to me :dunno: 

11 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Anyone know who makes an aftermarket crankshaft for the Doos? Rebuilding this 500SS and the crank snout is grey in color and the pork chops have a letter "O" cast into it. Doesn't look stock to me :dunno: 

The Crank Shop in Vermont would be your best bet I think.

4 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

The Crank Shop in Vermont would be your best bet I think.

Oh they get lots of my $$$ :lol: but pretty sure it's not from them. I think it's a SPI piece...not Straightline Performnce but the SPI pistons company. There's a shop local here, MCB Performance, who sells a whole rebuild kit cranks and all. I think maybe it's from there. They are next on my call list

11 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Those SBA's in the Axys are sweet rides.

only way i will go would be an axys one

37 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

1.6 ice cobra, the studs stiffen up the lugs so the track really works on the trail and off..

FOT85C2.jpg

only issue i have with mine is it's a soft track,  with 5k on the 16 it looks worse than the 9000 mile predator i had on my 05 and worse than the 6k+ i had on my 1.75 on the 12

Just now, Skidooski said:

Oh they get lots of my $$$ :lol: but pretty sure it's not from them. I think it's a SPI piece...not Straightline Performnce but the SPI pistons company. There's a shop local here, MCB Performance, who sells a whole rebuild kit cranks and all. I think maybe it's from there. They are next on my call list

10-4

1 minute ago, FAT DAVE said:

10-4

I towed this 500SS back out of the woods with my etec 800 and then the damn etec wouldn't start for a couple hours. It had Spark, fuel and air but would not start. I'm thinking I need another brand for a while like a good Cat or Polaris :lol: 

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

only way i will go would be an axys one

only issue i have with mine is it's a soft track,  with 5k on the 16 it looks worse than the 9000 mile predator i had on my 05 and worse than the 6k+ i had on my 1.75 on the 12

I was only able to get 3k on the ice cobra track, but it held up great, I was a 90% trail rider then (being on a yamaha you dont venture off much) but the track looked as new when I sold the sled..

You will love the Axys SBA, my buddy has a 11SBA and another has a 17.. man let me tell you, what a difference.. both still struggle in the twisties, but the axys version is by far 50% easier to ride in them.. If I get a second sled, I think that would be it..

11 hours ago, Anler said:

I'm getting sick of reading all of your moronic political posts. Doo 850 and poo axys are about the only sleds worth discussing. Discuss...

Uh......Nope.

img.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I towed this 500SS back out of the woods with my etec 800 and then the damn etec wouldn't start for a couple hours. It had Spark, fuel and air but would not start. I'm thinking I need another brand for a while like a good Cat or Polaris :lol: 

Thats sounds like an ecm going bad.

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I towed my buddies sled out of the woods, sat there trying to get it started for an hour after I unhooked from him..I had spark, fuel, obviously air.. Pushed it in the trailer brought it to work the next day, let it defrost, still would not fire a day later.. called my dealer, he said hold it wide open and start it... FUCKING FIRED RIGHT UP!!