Check your account email address ×

Vilas county leaders discuss winter trails access for snowmobiles, ATV/UTVs

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

I wish we could ban them completely. Just look behind you and see the damage. 

You better get used to sharing because that’s the way things are going to go. See all the unsold sleds at the dealers? They require actual snow to sell machines. The UTV crowd isn’t going to sit idly by looking  at unused trails for a dying sport in the Midwest. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I got my sxs ready to run over Wisconsin residents like sled dogs in Alaska 

IMG_4028.jpeg

Your going to need some energy stickers on that.  Stat   Looks like you got a few before the lift! passenger headlight 

Edited by jonlafon1

3 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Your going to need some energy stickers on that.  Stat   Looks like you got a few before the lift! passenger headlight 

I have a custom Wisconsin made monster sticker to put on the windshield 

• Like 1

Just now, racinfarmer said:

The real question is, do you have a "Locally Hated" sticker for it?

I will have one once I run over people with my ass dragging sxs. I went vintage. 

I am also saving up for 20 inch dual stacks. This thing rolls more coal than a 30 year old Cummins. I have this 4.8 liter gasser at the perfect angle for burning all the oil and getting great coal.

• Haha 1

but seriously... what's going to happen the first time the ORV crowd finds a mud hole on a trail running through private property?  that crowd just can't help themselves from making it worse and bigger.  for the most part snowmobile trails have very minimal impact on people's private property... except for the jackwads who can't manage to stay inside the orange markers.  as I see the issue, ORV's on snowmobile trails has the potential to get more snowmobile trails closed.  on a separate note, I've encountered a few ATVs here in the winter and they seem to ride straight down the middle and leave nothing but f'ng ruts in their wake.

hope Vilas county gets this one right and if this is because the bars, restraunts and lodging establishments are suffering... McDonald's is hiring. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Need to take a good look how things are going in sawyer county this winter.

a lot of sawyer county atv trails are not snowmobile trails though.a good mix.

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Horrible idea to have shared trails. I will say one thing I noticed up here in quebec is there are atv trails all over the place some even running along right next to the sled trails. They have their own separate trails they can ride all year long and not go on and fuck up the sled trails. It seems like a pretty good set up to me obviously more work making two separate trails but that’s the atv guys problem to deal with if they want to ride all year.

• Like 1

The real problem is you guys don’t get enough snow. No one drives SXS on our trails because the snow is too deep and they get stuck. No one rides ATVs on our trails because they are too cold to ride comfortably. See the issue? You guys lack both snow and cold. You’ll be sharing trails before the end of this decade. 

30 minutes ago, AK440 said:

The real problem is you guys don’t get enough snow. No one drives SXS on our trails because the snow is too deep and they get stuck. No one rides ATVs on our trails because they are too cold to ride comfortably. See the issue? You guys lack both snow and cold. You’ll be sharing trails before the end of this decade. 

You ever ride in one with tracks and a fully enclosed cab?  You would change your post if you ever did. What do you care if we have to do this sharing of trails? Your in Alaska.  Spend some time in a fully cabbed with tracks its fricken awesome. Besides the slower speeds. Great for drinking beer and enjoying some winter scenery and they don't get stuck ever unless your really a fuck up. Your just trolling anyways. 

6 hours ago, X2700 said:

Need to take a good look how things are going in sawyer county this winter.

a lot of sawyer county atv trails are not snowmobile trails though.a good mix.

Yep, between Sawyer and Bayfield counties ... those two seem to make it work.  I'm still not a huge fan of the Tuscobia being a shared access trail, but meh.  We've been able to get by with that for this long, we can keep it going I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yep, between Sawyer and Bayfield counties ... those two seem to make it work.  I'm still not a huge fan of the Tuscobia being a shared access trail, but meh.  We've been able to get by with that for this long, we can keep it going I guess.

True.. I remember years ago I was riding and they had a fat tire bike race the FULL length of that trail.. It was when those bikes first came out? 20 years ago. We just slowed down for them. Actually stopped and chatted with one of the racers. Interesting for sure.. These guys were just giving it all out drenched in sweat pedaling through a shit load of sugar snow late afternoon. :backpeddle:.  It was okay but I sure as hell would not want to be one pedaling and get shucked by a sled.  Most were decent about slowing down for the fat tire bikes.

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Tuscobia was the first place I rode my 'new to me' sled several years back one afternoon thanks to a tip from @XCR1250

It was very 'rocky' but better than nothing... 

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Tuscobia was the first place I rode my 'new to me' sled several years back one afternoon thanks to a tip from @XCR1250

Great place to set the rings on a new one!   Unless your following "the book" break in procedure with ZR6000RR.  

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the Tuscobia can definitely have it's share of rocks but then you get years like last season, or even the prior year or two, and it was great.  Boring as hell since it's mostly straight and go like hell ... then stop ... then go like hell ... stop, etc.  But it serves the purpose for where we lodge (near Ojibwa).

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

They have rebuilt Tuscobia with new material and plowed out any bigger rocks, pretty nice now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Yeah, the Tuscobia can definitely have it's share of rocks but then you get years like last season, or even the prior year or two, and it was great.  Boring as hell since it's mostly straight and go like hell ... then stop ... then go like hell ... stop, etc.  But it serves the purpose for where we lodge (near Ojibwa).

I mentioned a friend has a Log Cabin on the 9 mile loop, very cheap to rent, lots of room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

They have rebuilt Tuscobia with new material and plowed out any bigger rocks, pretty nice now.

nice... I threw the original skis and carbides straight into the attic after that trip.  :lolz:

• Haha 1