Check your account email address ×

Vilas county leaders discuss winter trails access for snowmobiles, ATV/UTVs

18 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I guess it depends on the area. Here the trails are mostly atv trails all summer and there's very little swampy areas. 

We used to have some ATV trails in our area and that crowd couldn't help themselves.  Couldn't act like they have been in public before and now we have 0 miles of ATV trails.  

I just can't see it working here too well.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We used to have some ATV trails in our area and that crowd couldn't help themselves.  Couldn't act like they have been in public before and now we have 0 miles of ATV trails.  

I just can't see it working here too well.

I don't see them any worse than idiots on sleds. Up here you can ride on trails between 5 or 6 counties. Seems to work out fine, actually see more atvs up here now than sleds. The tough part would be getting the word out on when the can and can't ride in the winter. 

6 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I don't see them any worse than idiots on sleds. Up here you can ride on trails between 5 or 6 counties. Seems to work out fine, actually see more atvs up here now than sleds. The tough part would be getting the word out on when the can and can't ride in the winter. 

Around here the sledders don't really do much anymore.  Some trespassing, but don't really tear shit up.  

The quad and SxS group spins donuts in city parks, tear up the trails between the lakeshore road and easier ice access, tear up yards trying to ditch bang, etc.  It is mainly the dumbasses that gave up on sleds and moved on to the wheeled shit.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Around here the sledders don't really do much anymore.  Some trespassing, but don't really tear shit up.  

The quad and SxS group spins donuts in city parks, tear up the trails between the lakeshore road and easier ice access, tear up yards trying to ditch bang, etc.  It is mainly the dumbasses that gave up on sleds and moved on to the wheeled shit.

I see alot of the atv ditch banging going on in mn. Hardly ever in wi or mi. Does mn let them ride on the co rds? I know up in finland/ grand Marais area there's alot of logging roads that say no atv on them which i found odd

21 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I see alot of the atv ditch banging going on in mn. Hardly ever in wi or mi. Does mn let them ride on the co rds? I know up in finland/ grand Marais area there's alot of logging roads that say no atv on them which i found odd

Yes, Many local governments have opened up riding on county and twp roads to atv traffic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Yes, Many local governments have opened up riding on county and twp roads to atv traffic.

That's where the majority of the traffic happens around here .... county/back roads.  There's a handful of "Minimum Maintenance Road" types of trails to connect from one county road to another, but very few if any ATV/UTV trails that go off road around here.  And it's probably a good thing because it'd piss off most of the farmers/land owners I think.  Personally, I'm all for road use.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That's where the majority of the traffic happens around here .... county/back roads.  There's a handful of "Minimum Maintenance Road" types of trails to connect from one county road to another, but very few if any ATV/UTV trails that go off road around here.  And it's probably a good thing because it'd piss off most of the farmers/land owners I think.  Personally, I'm all for road use.

There is quite a bit here as well even though we have a fair amount of trails. I think it's a good thing and obviously easier than trying to develop dedicated atv trails in an area with lots of private land. I live on a state highway and it's crazy how many run right down the highway on the weekends.

3 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

.... I live on a state highway and it's crazy how many run right down the highway on the weekends.

Really?  Is it just a small stretch where they connect from one back road to another, and have to use the highway for a short run to get there?  That's the only way we can run on state highways here.  Unless it's literally designated for UTV use (which only seems to happen if there's some sort of construction/detour going on).

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Usually it's a liability issue. Are the logging roads active still?

15 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Really?  Is it just a small stretch where they connect from one back road to another, and have to use the highway for a short run to get there?  That's the only way we can run on state highways here.  Unless it's literally designated for UTV use (which only seems to happen if there's some sort of construction/detour going on).

No, I think it's people that are headed back towards the lake from Red Top or the soo line. Not legal at all.

1 minute ago, Sled_Hed said:

No, I think it's people that are headed back towards the lake from Red Top or the soo line. Not legal at all.

I'm surprised the LEO's aren't all over that and using it as a huge money grab.  Maybe the LEO's up your way have common sense though, and know it helps generate business revenue.

16 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm surprised the LEO's aren't all over that and using it as a huge money grab.  Maybe the LEO's up your way have common sense though, and know it helps generate business revenue.

Yeah I'm a little surprised as well. It doesn't really bug me until it's a group of 6 riding the shoulder with a huge dust cloud .

1 minute ago, Sled_Hed said:

Yeah I'm a little surprised as well. It doesn't really bug me until it's a group of 6 riding the shoulder with a huge dust cloud .

Ugh ... yeah, that would piss me off as well.  The fact just about all of those things will do 60mph, I don't get why they wouldn't just stay on the pavement.  Not only do they kick up dust (and gravel towards anyone behind them), that ain't safe at all with one set of tires on the pavement and the other set on the shoulder.  

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Usually it's a liability issue. Are the logging roads active still?

They're always active in mn wi and mi. There's 10s of  thousands of miles of logging roads between the 3 States that are legal to drive cars and a t v s and sleds on

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

, I think it's people that are headed back towards the lake from Red Top or the soo line. Not legal at all.

Do they run atvs on the red top trails in winter or is it sled only?

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Leo's from my experience only hang around when there's been a complaint.

20 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Do they run atvs on the red top trails in winter or is it sled only?

I think there is like 20 trails other than regular forest roads open to winter atv use. Nemadji and General Andrew's forest are the closest ones to this area.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Leo's from my experience only hang around when there's been a complaint.

THIS.  And when drivers start doing stupid shit. (causes complaints). If you just drive normal and stay close to speed limit posted they could care less. Plenty of off duty/ even the local sheriff in my area in the UP ride them a lot. Just be smart on them/ don't act a fool. On another note heading up for a week of wood cutting and riding side by side in March. Going to switch out tracks and put wheels back on buddies side by side for some late winter/spring riding. We cant ride sleds so?  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Most are open now but nobody has taken signs down.

Cook opened all roads and even gunflint road!