Check your account email address ×

Should cars have built-in speed limits? Some think it’s time

Maybe in town but out on highway I'd say no.Lots of questions would have to be answered before that ever happens!!like by how much over would they consider limiting?Hell im sure there would be a way to bypass!!

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Might as well put it into motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats and jetskis at the same time

Yes brother, praise the lord!

That would save me a whack of cash because I'd never buy a new vehicle or toy again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Voodoo said:

Yes brother, praise the lord!

That would save me a whack of cash because I'd never buy a new vehicle or toy again.

THIS!!  NO WAY I would want to be speed limited, not matter the Speed Limit. 

Except as @X2700 pointed out for in towns, I really do follow those, one kid comes running out from behind a car.... yuck...

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

They should probably recommend seniors 62 up have to retake driving test yearly before they waste time mandating speed restrictions in cars. Old folks are far more deadly behind the wheel.

And then again every year after turning 70.  Lots in that group need help getting their vehicles up to the speed limit.

• Like 1

They're trying to limit semi trucks to 60- 65 mph too. I hope they do, and every truck going down the interstate stays bumper to bumper in the right lane and never let anyone else on the road. Put a sticker on the trailer saying thank the government for this traffic jam

• Like 1

most cars/trucks in the US are limited due to the speed rating of the tires they are originally equipped with. 

or are we talking about somehow mandating potential top speed via electronics? 

cops, if they're even around don't seem to pull people over for speeding like they used to, or for shit done to their vehicles which we used to get pulled over all the fucking time in the 80's and 90's. 

electronic limitation to 10mph over the posted top speed on any road on newer vehicles wouldn't bother me one bit... because I drive older stuff.   I'm on the highway five days a week with the cruise set at 72 in the 65... and at times getting passed like I'm standing still.  then there's others that come flying up in the left lane and suddenly start slowing down and tucking in behind me... @EvilBird knows why.  :roflcrying:

:)

• Haha 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

most cars/trucks in the US are limited due to the speed rating of the tires they are originally equipped with. 

or are we talking about somehow mandating potential top speed via electronics? 

cops, if they're even around don't seem to pull people over for speeding like they used to, or for shit done to their vehicles which we used to get pulled over all the fucking time in the 80's and 90's. 

electronic limitation to 10mph over the posted top speed on any road on newer vehicles wouldn't bother me one bit... because I drive older stuff.   I'm on the highway five days a week with the cruise set at 72 in the 65... and at times getting passed like I'm standing still.  then there's others that come flying up in the left lane and suddenly start slowing down and tucking in behind me... @EvilBird knows why.  :roflcrying:

:)

On the bold, yeah, FOR SURE.  Ever since none of them want the conflict they were looking for before GF.

6 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

They should probably recommend seniors 62 up have to retake driving test yearly before they waste time mandating speed restrictions in cars. Old folks are far more deadly behind the wheel.

FUCK YES to this proposal

if you can't WALK or SEE how the fuck can you safely drive a 5000lb wrecking ball?  not to mention REMEMBER... FUCK THOSE BOOMERS!!!!

:roflcrying:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

it started during Covid... 

Rodney King got a slightly worse beating than @f7ben from the cops. 

Covid driving was THE BEST - NOBODY on the road, knocked off over an hour on my drive to/from the Cities to Point and then again back.

• Like 1

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Nope, but people need to start being ticked for riding in the passing lane

Most likely they are the ones that would be in favor of limiting vehicle speeds, that's what they are already trying to do. 

Besides those who are simply not paying attention.  Which is a whole other discussion...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Yeah, sure! Let’s have some more government mandates! The worst drivers I see on the road are young females, and Asians.  No clue of their surroundings or how to drive in general. The young females are usually looking at their phones while they’re driving.  Young males aren’t much better, 16 to 21. More balls than brains.

Just now, X2700 said:

My kind of speed limit!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

It was glorious on our vacation this summer.  Everything west of ND was 80 Freeway, and 70 on the 2 lane roads - pretty close to where I cruise normally.

• Like 2

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah, sure! Let’s have some more government mandates! The worst drivers I see on the road are young females, and Asians.  No clue of their surroundings or how to drive in general. The young females are usually looking at their phones while they’re driving.  Young males aren’t much better, 16 to 21. More balls than brains.

I think statistics show seniors have the highest risk of being involved in an accident maybe it was kids 21 under but they had a lower rate of actual drivers on the road since most kids can’t afford a car.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

THIS!!  NO WAY I would want to be speed limited, not matter the Speed Limit. 

Except as @X2700 pointed out for in towns, I really do follow those, one kid comes running out from behind a car.... yuck...

Yep, I always travel safe thru the village. It's respect. Not for cops but for the people living and working there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

They're trying to limit semi trucks to 60- 65 mph too. I hope they do, and every truck going down the interstate stays bumper to bumper in the right lane and never let anyone else on the road. Put a sticker on the trailer saying thank the government for this traffic jam

Ontario it’s already done, years ago.

105 km/h,  65 mph