Check your account email address ×

how hot this weekend?

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

68 in my office all day today.  :rockernana:

Yeah I was in 70 degree controlled temp most of the day.....way too humid outside.  But will be working outside in it the rest of week low to mid 90's and stifling humidity.  Funny thing is we did not have one 90 degree day the whole month of August...very unusual for this area.

3 minutes ago, X2700 said:

103 Sunday afternoon when we got of river in red wing!!

it was even hot on river!!

water level just above record low!!

here’s something we don’t see every day on the river!!

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

wtf is that?

Viking cruise ship!!

looks like it came up from New Orleans.

they have like 22 day cruises.looks made for river.rookie captain was turning it around just down river from redwing bridge.sheriff held us back till he turned around.I’d be worried sticking that thing on a sand bar!!

river is low!!my Jetski rubbed bottom in a spot we run on back channel!!!have to keep speed up to make it through couple hundred foot section!!

when my speedometer stops working I know I’m pushing it!!😁

Edited by X2700

28 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Viking cruise ship!!

looks like it came up from New Orleans.

they have like 22 day cruises.looks made for river.rookie captain was turning it around just down river from redwing bridge.sheriff held us back till he turned around.I’d be worried sticking that thing on a sand bar!!

river is low!!my Jetski rubbed bottom in a spot we run on back channel!!!have to keep speed up to make it through couple hundred foot section!!

when my speedometer stops working I know I’m pushing it!!😁

wow, had no idea those were even used here in the states. 

2 hours ago, X2700 said:

103 Sunday afternoon when we got of river in red wing!!

it was even hot on river!!

water level just above record low!!

here’s something we don’t see every day on the river!!

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

People down my way are not happy about that boat.   Rumor has it they are keeping the river levels lower than normal for that boat to have enough clearance under a few bridges.  Low water levels for extended periods change the river in way it otherwise wouldn't.  For example a side channel which use to be the most popular in my area has filled in and now can't be used.   We use to anchor in it since 2000 and it always had enough water even at levels lower than this. 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

People down my way are not happy about that boat.   Rumor has it they are keeping the river levels lower than normal for that boat to have enough clearance under a few bridges.  Low water levels for extended periods change the river in way it otherwise wouldn't.  For example a side channel which use to be the most popular in my area has filled in and now can't be used.   We use to anchor in it since 2000 and it always had enough water even at levels lower than this. 

Really surprised they are running that big of a boat on the river!!

A lot of the spots that normally have boats sitting at we’re empty this weekend.

Don’t  think they can get to them due to water levels.

26 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Really surprised they are running that big of a boat on the river!!

A lot of the spots that normally have boats sitting at we’re empty this weekend.

Don’t  think they can get to them due to water levels.

No doubt the lack of rainfall has contributed.   The upper Mississippi river basin has been this dry before and never filled in those side channels.  Its not low water but low water for long periods of time that seem to have the most impact.   Low water means slower water in them and that fills them in.    

22 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Hard to believe we had record crests this spring!!

we have not had significant rain since first of may!!

Lots of snow will do that.

I think I've dumped over an inch of rain from my little plastic yard rain gauge ONCE - All summer.  Been a few 1/2-3/4, but certainly not like we should have had.

Oh well, if this pans out like last year, we'll be riding from the garage again this winter!  (Insert wishful thinking here)

• Like 3