Check your account email address ×

today (in real life) I saw.... ?

13 minutes ago, HSR said:

When I was a little kid a guy in town had one that nobody could get to run right. My dad was a cop but got his mechanics license in trade school in London and worked as a mech. there and figured it out for him. 

My dad did a few. He is pretty good electrical guy.  Guys find him from all over to get these tops working right. 

E6A6D252-EA0C-4F00-BC50-93AF641CF6E1.png

DF80D727-3373-4924-A0E3-A487E0D65226.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

My dad did a few. He is pretty good electrical guy.  Guys find him from all over to get these tops working right. 

E6A6D252-EA0C-4F00-BC50-93AF641CF6E1.png

DF80D727-3373-4924-A0E3-A487E0D65226.jpeg

Thats pretty cool :thumbsup:

Just now, Deephaven said:

As for cool things in real life.  Stood for the semifinals right past the finish line and saw a new track record happen at BIR.

NsYAxJQ.png

I used to follow drag racing in my late teens when I worked at a friend's greenhouse. He was a former drag racer from the 60s. He also had a speed shop in NY before he and his wife moved to NH and started the greenhouse business. Anyway we went to the NHRA, race in St Pea, Quebec (I think that was the name of the town). It was right after Eddy Hill broke the 300mph mark. I think that they were still running the full 1320 back then. Isn't it 1000 feet now?

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

I used to follow drag racing in my late teens when I worked at a friend's greenhouse. He was a former drag racer from the 60s. He also had a speed shop in NY before he and his wife moved to NH and started the greenhouse business. Anyway we went to the NHRA, race in St Pea, Quebec (I think that was the name of the town). It was right after Eddy Hill broke the 300mph mark. I think that they were still running the full 1320 back then. Isn't it 1000 feet now?

I just looked it up. It was after Hill made the fastest run in history at the time and the speed was around 285mph.  There was a lot of excitement at the time thinking that they might go faster in Quebec with the cooler temps. I don't recall if they did or didn't. My memory from the race was being in the pits with my boss talking about the old days with Big Daddy himself. Fun times :bc:

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

That run was over 300mph in the 1/8th...

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Those things are finicky fuckers.

Yes they are, every Jag is, it's kinda weird how cars flow into the shop,  today it's vintage jag day. Not planned at all, just 3 old girls roll in today all different owners..

IMG_20230823_134721499_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230823_134737767_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the day there was a group of about 15 guys ,older than me that went to Brainerd every year for the races. They said the mudfling in the camp area was crazy until one truck rear-ended another in the mud hole with a guy sitting in the tailgate. He was Cotton Hill after that and end of that tradition.

26 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

people are frugal... and dumb

i have people call me, say they are looking at a camper to pull with the 1500. i ask what the weight is empty, they say 7k. i tell them i would not be doing that. they always refer to the published weights. i explain that it doesn't mean that you should be near those limits. you need room for fuel, kids, dog, firewood, tools, etc. i end the conversation with recommending lt tires. none of them want to hear about new tires on a new truck. the ones that listen are shocked by the difference

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just looked it up. It was after Hill made the fastest run in history at the time and the speed was around 285mph.  There was a lot of excitement at the time thinking that they might go faster in Quebec with the cooler temps. I don't recall if they did or didn't. My memory from the race was being in the pits with my boss talking about the old days with Big Daddy himself. Fun times :bc:

dad and I spent a lot of time at Union Grove dragstrip in the 70s and 80s.  met Garlits and Shirley Muldowney, Don the Snake Prudhomme, Force, etc. in the pits.  Garlits was our favorite, we stopped at his museum near Ocala once to see all the swamp rats and his collection.  he was walking around the museum chatting with folks, signed my T-shirt ( with the canopy and airplane tire/nose) and let me sit in Swamp Rat 1.  good times, makes me miss the good times with my dad.

11 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i have people call me, say they are looking at a camper to pull with the 1500. i ask what the weight is empty, they say 7k. i tell them i would not be doing that. they always refer to the published weights. i explain that it doesn't mean that you should be near those limits. you need room for fuel, kids, dog, firewood, tools, etc. i end the conversation with recommending lt tires. none of them want to hear about new tires on a new truck. the ones that listen are shocked by the difference

absolutely, you can lead a horse to water but... 

here's one I heard of recently, lady buys a new 1/2t gm 2.7 with composite leafs... and wanted to add a fifth wheel plate to tow her... you already guessed it. 

34 minutes ago, ckf said:

The pieces are starting to come together...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

dad and I spent a lot of time at Union Grove dragstrip in the 70s and 80s.  met Garlits and Shirley Muldowney, Don the Snake Prudhomme, Force, etc. in the pits.  Garlits was our favorite, we stopped at his museum near Ocala once to see all the swamp rats and his collection.  he was walking around the museum chatting with folks, signed my T-shirt ( with the canopy and airplane tire/nose) and let me sit in Swamp Rat 1.  good times, makes me miss the good times with my dad.

absolutely, you can lead a horse to water but... 

here's one I heard of recently, lady buys a new 1/2t gm 2.7 with composite leafs... and wanted to add a fifth wheel plate to tow her... you already guessed it. 

that's another one. 2.7 4 banger, yes it states big hp and torque numbers. but do you want it to be bouncing off the rev limiter? another thing in gm is the transmission. go easy on those 6 speeds...

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Garlits was super nice. It wasn't just to us because my boss knew him from the past. He was a regular guy to everyone that stopped by his pits.

It's great that you have those memories of your dad :bc:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

The pieces are starting to come together...

3 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

shit that puzzle is finished 

:bigfinger:

I had a bunch of good memories from working for Don and Dianne.  It wasn't just the greenhouse. They also grew veggies for their farm stand and several grocery stores. Right now we would probably be picking the best corn of the season. At least with what he grew, Silver Queen. Next month we would be out in the fields digging up and potting the mum's that were grown in the fields. We also grew some in the greenhouses over the summer, but the field mum's were much bigger.

Don was as straight as an arrow. There was no talk of devil's lettuce back then :lol: 

8 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

that's another one. 2.7 4 banger, yes it states big hp and torque numbers. but do you want it to be bouncing off the rev limiter? another thing in gm is the transmission. go easy on those 6 speeds...

yep

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

Garlits was super nice. It wasn't just to us because my boss knew him from the past. He was a regular guy to everyone that stopped by his pits.

It's great that you have those memories of your dad :bc:

he sold a LOT of merch by being so likeable as well. 

I still have the T-shirt and kept all the family photo albums with loads of racing pics from the era. after he passed.  Pretty sure I have a pic or two of Paul Newman at Elkhart Lake in one of them.  

• Like 2

Back on topic. It's mid 70's here today and I saw a lady walking a chihuahua with her parka and a toque on. Mind you she wears it most of the year. Kids call her the Toque lady, she's really weird.:lol:

Just now, HSR said:

Back on topic. It's mid 70's here today and I saw a lady walking a chihuahua with her parka and a toque on. Mind you she wears it most of the year. Kids call her the Toque lady, she's really weird.:lol:

A buddy is up there west of you fishing in the Sioux Narrows, and he said he didn't bring enough clothes... Was only in the 50's yesterday!

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

A buddy is up there west of you fishing in the Sioux Narrows, and he said he didn't bring enough clothes... Was only in the 50's yesterday!

It was damn cool the last few mornings. You can feel the season changing. On the lake would be cold for sure.

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

:bigfinger:

I had a bunch of good memories from working for Don and Dianne.  It wasn't just the greenhouse. They also grew veggies for their farm stand and several grocery stores. Right now we would probably be picking the best corn of the season. At least with what he grew, Silver Queen. Next month we would be out in the fields digging up and potting the mum's that were grown in the fields. We also grew some in the greenhouses over the summer, but the field mum's were much bigger.

Don was as straight as an arrow. There was no talk of devil's lettuce back then :lol: 

Sounds like great memories! :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HSR said:

I don't know what's allowed down there but I see a lot of b-trains up here where guys pull the boat hooked to the camper. Finally saw one set up pulled over this year. It's only allowed in specific set ups but guys just use anything.

You allowed a trailer behind a fifth wheel type trailer in Ontario.

No bumper pull, then another trailer...I wanted to do that, but it's a hard no.

Still don't need a special class of licence if it recreational.

Edited by Voodoo

Was in Costco today and followed too many silver/grey/no haired folks pushing carts at well below the posted speed limit.

Also the "stay in the right lane unless passing" rule was constantly violated.

Fun to watch from a distance but not so much when you get boxed in for an extended period of time and there is no escape!:thumbsdown:

• Haha 1

Saw a guy walking down the street with a huge man bun held in place by a bright green clip or something.  Seagulls must have thought it was food cause they were dive bombing the shit out of him.  Either that or the seagulls hate man buns more than I.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

2 weeks ago I saw karma with out having to wait. We were moving a 6.7 stuck in limp mode. Slowly going down side of road, beacon on ,truck behind me with flashers on . Dude with NY plates comes up behind us . Plenty of room to pass. Nope, he layer on the horn ,was flashing his headlights  ,he finally grew a set and passed. Flipping me off . 

We get on main road and stay in breakdown lane. A minute later truck comes out of limp mode . Drive up the hill and on the other side is NY buddy,pulled over for speeding I assume 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member

Daughter and I doing the go karts early today so we had the inside line the kart in front cuts over we hit its rear and spin them out. She thought it was hilarious screaming faster the whole time. Definitely a future speed demon like her dad 😂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1