Check your account email address ×

Main Riding area?

Around home in Central Wisconsin it's hit and miss for riding.  Main riding area is from Lakewood Wisconsin North and all of the UP.

We have a place East of Eagle River, another friend has a place in Conover and a 3rd has a place by Mercer so we've got a couple home bases.

Also have some rides late in the year where we Motel or ABB up in the UP.

Being retired and most of the guys I ride with are self employed or own a small business we normally ride Wednesday through Friday and head home.  Nice schedule 

• Like 3

Same "hit and miss" situation where I'm at, living in SE Minny.  When it's good though, it's great because we can shoot across the Mississippi River (Lake Pepin) and ride in Wisconsin with ease.  Outside of local riding, we have options in Sawyer and Bayfield Counties.  And we've been doing a backpack trip from Lake Namakagan to Copper Harbor the past few years.  I wish I could live the life you guys do, riding during the week and being retired, but I have a few more years to go!

• Like 2

I start every ride by loading up sleds and hauling them somewhere that I can actually ride.  I screwed up when we were looking at homes and ended up in a dead zone.  Back then, it didn't seem like a big deal, but I ride a lot more now. 

I'd probably ride a little more in MN if I wasn't already hauling somewhere.  I've rode some nice MN stuff, but I don't like the speed limit.

I guess my main area is the Western U.P. and it is my primary base.  I could probably do a guide business on the west side.  I ride the dickens out of that area and do occasional day trips into sconny land.  I used to ride a lot more Northern Wisconsin and usually bought passes for both states on the first trip each season.  Getting there by trail is a bigger hassle now.  In fact, I don't think I have a Wisconsin permit on any current sleds.  I miss the old main corridor trail.  It was fun riding Wisconsin more often.  The trails are quite different.

Bla Bla Bla, I guess that was a bit of rambling.

The Western UP.  That's my final answer. :D

• Like 3

Northern Minnesota.  As a kid growing up in extreme Southern Minnie, I learned how to ride fence lines and ditches, because that’s where the snow was, and there wasn’t such a thing as a “trail”.  After having ridden Grand Rapids and north for several years now, I’m at home here and love it.  I can see myself branching out over time, but this will keep me occupied for at least a few more years.

Until the photo shoot trip (sorry to keep bringing that up), I’d never considered out west and never understood why people went out of their way to go.  My cousin’s son died in an avalanche out there and I didn’t want any part of that.  After the trip, and as soon as I landed back in Minnesota, I wanted to go back.  So, that might be a bucket list kind of place, but I’ll put on the most miles riding out my front yard - the trail starts a quarter mile from here.

And, to Bontz’s point, I’ve always considered SE MN and especially the Mississippi River valley to be absolutely one of my favorite areas to ride “back home”.  When it was good, it was very, VERY good.  Unfortunately, I often had to wait quite a few years in between and that part sucked.  It would be nice to try the east side of the river this next winter.

• Like 1

This past year I mostly rode around home.  It'd been years since we really had good local snow.  The only bummer with local is that I have to cross Lake Minnetonka to get anywhere which is usually cold and boring as shit...but being able to ride to lunch during the work week is killer.

When trailering, it always depends on snow cover but NE, SE, around Brainerd & DL are the areas I spend most of my time on in MN.  Outside of Hayward in WI.

• Like 1

I’ll go pretty much anywhere the snow is - as has been pointed out, last year was really good here south of the Twin Cities for quite a while.  Our club does a number of trips, and I’m out there most every week somewhere.  I’ve done some amazing backpack trips all over the state of MN and western WI.  Not sure I can actually pick a favorite, but up in northern MN on the “big” trails are definitely at the top of my list.  Very common for me to take 4-5 days with one crew riding out of a given location, then ride a few days myself, then hook up with another crew for 4-5 days all in the same “trip” racking up 1500-2000 miles.  

• Like 3

• Gold Member

Western or northern Maine mainly. I’ll ride local if the snow conditions allow it alone though so shorter rides at night usually my buds won’t ride NH anymore. Preliminary planning on doing the gaspe this year with the crew for the first time so that should be fun trip.

Mainly western/west central MN here.

Only 2 long weekend trips and a couple day trips due to the amount of snow this year.

Couple races this year too.

When we travel, Park Rapids or Ashland. 

If SE MN and the Black Hills have snow this next winter, I think we'll do a trip or two to each.

Depending on racing for next winter, maybe a bunch of local riding?

Se mn I call home and can ride right out of garage but unfortunately last few years old man winter has not been cooperating!!may get one or two weekends of riding!!

2002-2008 spent most weekends riding out of presque isle into up.many rides up to lake of clouds,houghton and copper harbor.

Been riding out of stone lake Wi since 92.tons of crazy memories!

Now spend most of my winters on the north shore.

mainly silver bay up to grand portage.

places I’d like to get to yet are the black hills and voyageurs national park and northwest angle.

have been lucky enough to ride brooks lake togowotee area for a week several years ago.

everybody needs to get at least one ride out there!!!

like to get out east for a ride!!

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 9:59 AM, mnstang said:

I've ridden all over and feel pretty fortunate to have a nice honey hole of diverse trails right off my property.  Some of the very best riding imo.

Rode some of that for the first time last winter and it was great.

• Like 1

Used to be able to consistently ride from my house in SE MN, not so much anymore. Majority of riding now is out of my buddy's place near Stone Lake WI. Done the western UP many times and now we just prefer northern WI. Did have a trip to the Black Hills in 1995 that was a blast, but haven't been out riding since. Wife and I hope to find a place in northern WI in the next few years to have a base of operations for riding and fishing.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 10:08 PM, 800renegaderider said:

Western or northern Maine mainly. I’ll ride local if the snow conditions allow it alone though so shorter rides at night usually my buds won’t ride NH anymore. Preliminary planning on doing the gaspe this year with the crew for the first time so that should be fun trip.

x2.  Been getting back into Quebec a lot more too last couple years since the covid restrictions are gone.  Basing out of Lake Parlin this year, and just scored this 5 br 5 ba camp for 6 of us.    All kinds of riding, untracked logging roads, back country, groomed trails, saddlebaggers, right from camp.   Lake right there for bonfires, cookouts, etc.. We leave all our stuff right at camp and then just commute back and forth from CT, works mint, not having to drag our shit back and forth.  Think we're gonna call it Trump Tower  :lol: 

mini-lodge1-1.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

x2.  Been getting back into Quebec a lot more too last couple years since the covid restrictions are gone.  Basing out of Lake Parlin this year, and just scored this 5 br 5 ba camp for 6 of us.    All kinds of riding, untracked logging roads, back country, groomed trails, saddlebaggers, right from camp.   Lake right there for bonfires, cookouts, etc.. We leave all our stuff right at camp and then just commute back and forth from CT, works mint, not having to drag our shit back and forth.  Think we're gonna call it Trump Tower  :lol: 

mini-lodge1-1.jpg

Guys in our local club do the same thing in Northern WI.  Found a seasonal home that the owner rents out in the winter and they rent it from January until the end of March.  Keep there sleds and gear there.  Last year was the third year they rented it and planning on renting it this year again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Guys in our local club do the same thing in Northern WI.  Found a seasonal home that the owner rents out in the winter and they rent it from January until the end of March.  Keep there sleds and gear there.  Last year was the third year they rented it and planning on renting it this year again.

We have been doing it now for about 10 years, had a really nice four bedroom house that was part of a place called Sky Lodge. They ended up donating it to a bunch of granola munchers. Who are running an environmental studies college out of the facilities. They wanted to double the rent so we have been bouncing around at several places since. Some nice, some dumps. So we are pretty psyched about this place, I think it was Joes personal house who owns the lake Parlin lodge.  It was a great gas, stop and lunch dinner place for years, but he closed it up a couple years ago and now it just does weddings and parties out of it in the summertime.  One of our buddies even has keys to the groomer, so we will probably get into some shenanigans with that this winter, if nothing else groom own personal trails. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

We have been doing it now for about 10 years, had a really nice four bedroom house that was part of a place called Sky Lodge. They ended up donating it to a bunch of granola munchers. Who are running an environmental studies college out of the facilities. They wanted to double the rent so we have been bouncing around at several places since. Some nice, some dumps. So we are pretty psyched about this place, I think it was Joes personal house who owns the lake Parlin lodge.  It was a great gas, stop and lunch dinner place for years, but he closed it up a couple years ago and now it just does weddings and parties out of it in the summertime.  One of our buddies even has keys to the groomer, so we will probably get into some shenanigans with that this winter, if nothing else groom own personal trails. :lol: 

When we have enough snow around home I also help with the grooming.  We park the groomers by the Presidents farm about 1/2 mile off the trail so we also groom to his shop.  The trial is marked as private trail and groomer access trail.  It's surprising how many people end up in his shop's yard looking for the trail.  More than a couple times people have followed us in be it riding or grooming only to be told it's not the trail. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

mini-lodge1-1.jpg

Looks nice 👍. That’s a good location to use to love parlin lodge for lunch stops.