Check your account email address ×

Winter In Michigan

5 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Headed to North Eastern Quebec on Saturday for a 10 day saddle bagger. Thankfully it's been cold and snowy up that far.

Got only 600 kms on our groomer so far this year,  but her next trip may be to the shed for the summer.

We normally have a decent month and a half with another couple weeks on either end depending on water problems.

Been a fucked up year for warm. Some of the swampy stuff has yet to freeze and we are starting from worse than scratch if we can open again.

Whereabouts? We took the ferry and launched out of Forestville a few weeks back, rode up around Mt. Valin.  Beautiful country.

17 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The other thing is that with The Kee being out of action more sledders are going to head to the Central and Eastern UP as they still have halfway decent trail conditions….going to be a shitsnow!🥴

Two different groups of riders there though. Most everyone that usually rides the lower will at least go to the central/eastern UP during bad conditions in the lower. Typically most riders in the western UP are from Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. 

I am currently 7 hours north of SSM and I can tell you that it was almost 50 up here Tuesday afternoon and rained from late Tuesday until mid day yesterday. Then, at noon yesterday it was in the mid 30s. By 2 pm it was 12 and by 5 pm it was 4 with -12 wind chills. The rain turned to blowing snow around 1 and went until about 10 pm. 

Just a crazy ass winter. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yikes!

Had to get out and help someone pull a trailer back over the metal divider hump one time on a windy night. My hat disappeared the instant I got out of the truck and into that wind. 

• Like 1

we had the usual december burst at tug hill that i missed. then zero january except the very end, one ride. 2 back to back rides feb 1 and 3 . took today off weeks ago to go midweek. i'm still off and it's going to be 60 today. long range has some snow in it but we were not in a position for ANY loss . and we are sill losing. mud and ticks in mid feb is a bad sign for summer

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Whereabouts? We took the ferry and launched out of Forestville a few weeks back, rode up around Mt. Valin.  Beautiful country.

Temiscaming, Chapais, 93 and 83 loop. Did Gaspe last year. Booked this trip mid summer. Seems wise now as most places are long booked up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Temiscaming, Chapais, 93 and 83 loop. Did Gaspe last year. Booked this trip mid summer. Seems wise now as most places are long booked up.

Gotcha.  :bc:  I've been as far north as Chibougamou, but not over by Temiscaming.  Thats kind of northWESTERN though, no?  Should be incredible riding.

8 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Gets a little crazy crossing the bridge sometimes   :o

https://www.facebook.com/amber.litten.5/videos/706795490990702

The video appears to be gone???

This Video Isn't Available Anymore
The link may be broken or the video may have been removed.
You can explore more videos or try logging into facebook.com and then visiting the link again.

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

The video appears to be gone???

This Video Isn't Available Anymore
The link may be broken or the video may have been removed.
You can explore more videos or try logging into facebook.com and then visiting the link again.

Check this out. It was just a tarp that blew off.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/02/video-seemingly-showing-trailer-blowing-off-mackinac-bridge-isnt-what-it-appears.html

Edited by nascarmike
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nascarmike said:

From the link below, I've had a few pucker moments crossing that bridge in high winds......

All suspension bridges are designed to move to accommodate wind, change in temperature, and weight. It is possible that the deck at center span could move as much as 35 feet (east or west) due to high winds. This would only happen under severe wind conditions. The deck would not swing or “sway” but rather move slowly in one direction based on the force and direction of the wind. After the wind subsides, the weight of the vehicles crossing would slowly move it back into center position.

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/history/the-mighty-mac/

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

From the link below, I've had a few pucker moments crossing that bridge in high winds......

All suspension bridges are designed to move to accommodate wind, change in temperature, and weight. It is possible that the deck at center span could move as much as 35 feet (east or west) due to high winds. This would only happen under severe wind conditions. The deck would not swing or “sway” but rather move slowly in one direction based on the force and direction of the wind. After the wind subsides, the weight of the vehicles crossing would slowly move it back into center position.

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/history/the-mighty-mac/

• Like 1