Check your account email address ×

if I were retired, I'd honestly have to ask myself if I deserve it.

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Living the dream collecting OAS,CPP,savings,investments and whatever I can get from the government trough. I'm not proud!

FB_IMG_1659614821510.jpg

Good for you George. I will have several streams of income as well, SS being a small part of it. Pensions, 401k. I’m a saver so i’m not worried at all about it. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01951

Social Security benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments for approximately 70 million Americans will increase by 8.7% in 2023. This is the annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). By law, federal benefits increase when the cost of living rises, as measured by the Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) 

no i can't honestly say I don't if it affects future generations. 

suck on that lemon 🍋

SS is a huge Ponzi scheme fuck job.   I'll never get back nearly what I kick in.  I'll take every dime they give me. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Living the dream collecting OAS,CPP,savings,investments and whatever I can get from the government trough. I'm not proud!

FB_IMG_1659614821510.jpg

Yep....with what I pay and have paid in I'm taking every single dime I legally can. 

14 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Good for you George. I will have several streams of income as well, SS being a small part of it. Pensions, 401k. I’m a saver so i’m not worried at all about it. 

We got 2 pensions paying out presently, have another kick in in about 2 years, then both taking SS at 62. 6 figures in the 401ks.

I am slightly above a low grade moron, and seemed to pull off this retirement thing pretty well. Have a hard time not seeing anyone else do it, especially when the company I worked for is begging anyone  and everyone to come work for them.

$41.20 per hour when you hit top rate, immediate full benefits, up to 6 weeks vaca a year, but no.... need that SS increase to live on....

• Like 1

uh oh, I seemed to have riled up the boomers.  :lol:

I wonder how many people that are actually 'working' in 2023 will get an 8.7% cola from their employers with no strings attached?  I'm certainly not anticipating one. 

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I wonder how many people that are actually 'working' in 2023 will get an 8.7% cola from their employers with no strings attached?  I'm certainly not anticipating one. 

All the boomers here seem relatively content. No riling at all. :) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dsupercat said:

If you need to rely on SS and are not disabled, or lost your savings because of an unplanned disease you didn't plan your career or savings very well.

Right. You keep thinking that. 

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

We got 2 pensions paying out presently, have another kick in in about 2 years, then both taking SS at 62. 6 figures in the 401ks.

I am slightly above a low grade moron, and seemed to pull off this retirement thing pretty well. Have a hard time not seeing anyone else do it, especially when the company I worked for is begging anyone  and everyone to come work for them.

$41.20 per hour when you hit top rate, immediate full benefits, up to 6 weeks vaca a year, but no.... need that SS increase to live on....

Well, last I checked, I nearly make that as it is and UPS is always bragging that they’re hiring yet I don’t see hardly any of them there dream jobs you so speak of, coming up a whole bunch. It’s usually load these trucks for $18/hr and stfu. 

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Doubtful I will either and while I make a decent living, they hired less skilled people into my department last year for 12% more than what I’m making. So, they have a decision to make or I’ll make mine. Their loss, my gain. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

SS is a huge Ponzi scheme fuck job.   I'll never get back nearly what I kick in.  I'll take every dime they give me. 

It's the best safety net that society has come up with. Those that either were unable or unwilling to prepare for the days when they could no longer work would need support anyway. So either way, you're going pay. 

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Max amount of income that is taxable is going up huge for 2023.  Somebody making 160k a year they are paying almost $20k into the program.  Everybody putting in deserves every bit they get.  Need to raise the retirement age as everybody is living longer.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/cbb.html

Actually last few years living longer has gone down: 

The CDC's estimates show that life expectancy at birth in the U.S. decreased to 77 years in 2020, down 1.8 years from 78.8 years in 2019.

1 minute ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Right. You keep thinking that. 

Well, last I checked, I nearly make that as it is and UPS is always bragging that they’re hiring yet I don’t see hardly any of them there dream jobs you so speak of, coming up a whole bunch. It’s usually load these trucks for $18/hr and stfu. 

Doubtful I will either and while I make a decent living, they hired less skilled people into my department last year for 12% more than what I’m making. So, they have a decision to make or I’ll make mine. Their loss, my gain. 

You one of those guys who walks into a party and demands a blowjob, or do you go in and take the time necessary to ensure one?

You start there and within' a year or 2 you are driving. A lot of people like my father in law, back in the day, told me to deep six the part time job and get a full time one. He finally figured it out when his Postmaster brother gave him the skinny.

Not to mention, after a few weeks of that part time work, you get full health, dental, etc insurance. How many part time jobs can save you over $1k a month in insurance?

$18 an hour is awesome when you figure in the whole package.

Kick in the ass is I am making more per week/month than I did at work.. :lol:

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It's the best safety net that society has come up with. Those that either were unable or unwilling to prepare for the days when they could no longer work would need support anyway. So either way, you're going pay. 

Sure....doesn't mean its still not a Ponzi fuck job.  Wife and I would have close to $2 mil into the system already at a mild 6% rate of return and we are only 52.  By the time I'm full retirement age it will be over $5 mil.   Won't see a fraction of that back. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Sure....doesn't mean its still not a Ponzi fuck job.  Wife and I would have close to $2 mil into the system already at a mild 6% rate of return and we are only 52.  By the time I'm full retirement age it will be over $5 mil.   Won't see a fraction of that back. 

The world is an imperfect place. 

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

You one of those guys who walks into a party and demands a blowjob, or do you go in and take the time necessary to ensure one?

You start there and within' a year or 2 you are driving. A lot of people like my father in law, back in the day, told me to deep six the part time job and get a full time one. He finally figured it out when his Postmaster brother gave him the skinny.

Not to mention, after a few weeks of that part time work, you get full health, dental, etc insurance. How many part time jobs can save you over $1k a month in insurance?

$18 an hour is awesome when you figure in the whole package.

Kick in the ass is I am making more per week/month than I did at work.. :lol:

For some schmo coming in out of high school, even these days, that’s sort of a slap in the face but not horrible. There are still no guarantees and most times the part time peeps get the boot after said company is done with them. 

When you figure it out that some people not only know what their worth, but can actually back it up, then maybe you’ll understand that there is a reason why those unskilled jobs lay vacant. Don’t even start trying to tell me that delivering packages is a skilled labor job either. It’s a necessary one and without question, I applaud anyone that’s willing to do manual labor on a daily basis. That doesn’t make it skilled labor. 

3 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

For some schmo coming in out of high school, even these days, that’s sort of a slap in the face but not horrible. There are still no guarantees and most times the part time peeps get the boot after said company is done with them. 

When you figure it out that some people not only know what their worth, but can actually back it up, then maybe you’ll understand that there is a reason why those unskilled jobs lay vacant. Don’t even start trying to tell me that delivering packages is a skilled labor job either. It’s a necessary one and without question, I applaud anyone that’s willing to do manual labor on a daily basis. That doesn’t make it skilled labor. 

And God knows, when it comes to feeding your family and providing for their health and well being, not to mention their well being into retirement, that it being 'skilled' or 'unskilled' is immaterial, and says so much more about your opinion of people as opposed to the job.

Who broke out the Skilled/unskilled issue? Does that make the $1,600+ per week spend different?

Do the insurance benefits break down under S/U?

You're whole argument screams "Fuckers make too much money, and that bugs me."

2 hours ago, Snake said:

And God knows, when it comes to feeding your family and providing for their health and well being, not to mention their well being into retirement, that it being 'skilled' or 'unskilled' is immaterial, and says so much more about your opinion of people as opposed to the job.

Who broke out the Skilled/unskilled issue? Does that make the $1,600+ per week spend different?

Do the insurance benefits break down under S/U?

You're whole argument screams "Fuckers make too much money, and that bugs me."

So people who are not afraid to put in a hard days work and still provide everything their family’s needs, even if it isn’t the highest paying job in the area because they don’t work for a union, are somehow beneath people like you? My father always had a saying, “The world needs ditch diggers too.” 

Look, when you have to actually gain a life skill more than the one that it takes just to get your ass to and from your daily job (like driving a vehicle), and it doesn’t take a union putting a gun to a company’s head to get paid through the nose for it, you let me know. Union labor in my field makes less and have the same benefits. They also get the mindless work because they don’t have to have the same skill set that I do. Why? Because the UAW says so, that’s why. Nothing more, nothing less. 

See unskilled union people always think that I have some sort of chip on my shoulder over your money, benefits, etc. Furtherest thing from the truth. I actually feel a bit sorry for unskilled union labor because if the rug was ever pulled out from under them, they would be starting all over again. Some of us have a skill that will last a lifetime of good pay/benefits. Even union skilled laborers. 

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Exactly. I don’t know why anyone would slave unloading trucks at ups for the “awesome 18hr” in hopes you last long enough to maybe get a decent job there. People see this that’s why they can’t get help or if they do they don’t last. You can apprentice in a trade like electrician, plumber, mechanic, hvac whatever and make that same pay to start and have way more earnings potential down the road once your skill is perfected. The guys I worked with there didn’t call it Us People Slaves for nothing 😂 glad I quit and learned a trade make a hell of a lot more.

38 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Exactly. I don’t know why anyone would slave unloading trucks at ups for the “awesome 18hr” in hopes you last long enough to maybe get a decent job there. People see this that’s why they can’t get help or if they do they don’t last. You can apprentice in a trade like electrician, plumber, mechanic, hvac whatever and make that same pay to start and have way more earnings potential down the road once your skill is perfected. The guys I worked with there didn’t call it Us People Slaves for nothing 😂 glad I quit and learned a trade make a hell of a lot more.

I have never worked for UPS. 

SS is just tip money.

Back in 74 I got profit sharing and it was changed to a 401K in 84. I maxed out every year for the next 30+ years and got matching.

We bought investment properties and a second home. All were sold over the last 5 years. 

Anyone can do that if they want to.