Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

To Palu's point, you're not going to really notice a difference, especially on coil-over shocks. As he said, there's likely a much larger benefit of Kashima on FLOAT shocks due to stiction at the air sleeve inherent in the design of those shocks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Arctic cat fucked up then. Should I file a warranty claim?

of course, there's a dealership in Norman County you should call right away this morning.

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I got shafted in 2 ways on this trip. One the shafts weren’t coated and two the fucker came home on a rope. Sled had like 300 miles when it came home on a rope 

IMG_3465.png

I recall seeing pictures of the inside of the engine.  

Greg's probably spent more time riding a Procross on a rope here than anyone else.  It's awesome when they just overheat constantly but don't actually blow up.:lol:

9 hours ago, Palu49 said:

I’m sure it does have some negligible performance advantages but the biggest one is gold looks a lot cooler and “higher end” than black.

bling... they should put some rhinestones on them as well. 

there's one person getting the shaft in this thread...

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

There was no bulk head damage in that photo. Fucking engine wouldn’t run. 800 ctech reliability 

show em the internals

9 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

More like, idiot not breaking it in properly. Just a hunch.

how long does it take to break in a sled under 50 mph, most of the season?  

asking for a friend... 

I go out for a couple of beers, and wing wed, and I miss out on page after page of the site moron being, clueless, wrong, and saying stupid shit...

12 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Yes, but I really wanna hear your explanation of how it isn’t.

12 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

They are way more fluid on compression and rebound. Tested it. Just for you. You do have to take the coil spring off. Guessing you probably would leave it on. 

12 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

It is a shaft coating.

Shafts are coated in chrome...

FWIW the piston has a Teflon band around it, that slides in the bore of the shock body.

Original selling point of the coating was to reduce the seal stiction on float shocks.  Main selling point today, is it looks cool

The heat is generated by a shock comes from working the piston through the oil..  Its a conservation of energy deal, the energy absorbed by the shock ABSORBER, has to go someplace, so its turned into heat.

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, krom said:

I go out for a couple of beers, and wing wed, and I miss out on page after page of the site moron being, clueless, wrong, and saying stupid shit...

Shafts are coated in chrome...

FWIW the piston has a Teflon band around it, that slides in the bore of the shock body.

Original selling point of the coating was to reduce the seal stiction on float shocks.  Main selling point today, is it looks cool

The heat is generated by a shock comes from working the piston through the oil..  Its a conservation of energy deal, the energy absorbed by the shock ABSORBER, has to go someplace, so its turned into heat.

You must be listening to the mechanics as you're mopping up the shop. For a janitor, you sure have things figured out. Someday if you work hard and study you'll be smart like jim

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jonlafon1 said:

Well im not to surprised its over revving with the stock weights.. Very seldom does Cat put enough weight in the clutches stock.. Are you running everything stock on your sled?  And clutch work or exhaust or any mods? If not its time for some adjustable weights maybe?  I never even ran the stock weights in my RXC.. Matter fact I sold them.. I have some stuff done to both clutches and I knew right off I would over rev based on those changes.  Hence the adjustable weights from day one.. I believe we want these catalyst to run 7950 RPM WFO?

Mine is 100% box stock other than skis, studs, a windshield and stickers removed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

More like, idiot not breaking it in properly. Just a hunch.

Stator went out. What is the proper brake in procedure on a stator? I would like to know so I get more than 300 miles out of it. 

• Thanks 1

Well im not to surprised its over revving with the stock weights.. Very seldom does Cat put enough weight in the clutches stock.. Are you running everything stock on your sled?  And clutch work or exhaust or any mods? If not its time for some adjustable weights maybe?  I never even ran the stock weights in my RXC.. Matter fact I sold them.. I have some stuff done to both clutches and I knew right off I would over rev based on those changes.  Hence the adjustable weights from day one.. I believe we want these catalyst to run 7950 RPM WFO?

I've heard it is higher than that for target rpm 

I believe we are seeing very few Kashima shocks is because FOX had a hard time providing them?  The last couple years sleds were late to customers because Cat was waiting on FOX/kashima coated shocks? Can anyone tell the difference? Doubt it very highly..  Maybe some big time pro racers can but the average guy riding down the trail > not a chance..   

Anything with the coating had to be funneled through a single facility way outside the borders of North America.  Quite a few bigger players in the bike market started offering the coating.  We'll leave it at that.

Lot's of debate about the topic.  In my situation, they were beneficial.  I'm not a heavy rider.  The shocks start moving easier with my weight on the sled.  I am able to adjust the settings and use full travel easier.  Riding buds are big guys and that feature didn't add much for them.  Honestly, it may even be a detriment.  They rarely ever adjust a thing.  If their sleds bottom out, they crank up spring pressure.  With easier moving shocks, they would over spring the suspensions.

Most of the stock shock packages work quite well for bigger guys especially if they don't like adjusting.  Let's be honest, most people prefer a set it and forget it configuration.  I also like that way of setup and riding if it's an option.  With some shock setups it wasn't easy.  Suspension travel becomes a game of all or nothing with lighter riders and shocks that don't like to start moving.  I'd set the spring pressure so I could get the suspension moving and then it would be prone to bottoming quickly.  That scenario is a PIA for an aggressive rider that likes a good setup.  I spent a lot of effort with some stock shocks getting them valved for my riding.  I could adjust the RR coated shocks without tearing them apart and revalving.  Settings didn't fall into the all or nothing category of suspension travel.  That was a big deal for me.  Way less time spent dinking around with getting the shocks to work right and settings that were actually incremental.

I shot for 8150-8200 on my 17 but according to D&Ds dyno these are dropping off pretty hard at 7900 on torque. What helix is in that sled @Not greg b I don’t have the parts list handy but I’m pretty sure the RXC has a super steep stock helix

36 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Care to share?

Just what I've read from people who are tuning in the field or mountains.  I know I saw a d&d dyno that showed it max at 7900 although they only ran it to 8k.  I've seen guys posting who are doing clutching that say they like it higher like 8100-8200 take it for what it's worth.  I haven't rode mine yet so this isn't first hand.  But, dynos aren't the end all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I shot for 8150-8200 on my 17 but according to D&Ds dyno these are dropping off pretty hard at 7900 on torque. What helix is in that sled @Not greg b I don’t have the parts list handy but I’m pretty sure the RXC has a super steep stock helix

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-0748-048-cam-driven-48s-eri2-w-brg

7 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Just what I've read from people who are tuning in the field or mountains.  I know I saw a d&d dyno that showed it max at 7900 although they only ran it to 8k.  I've seen guys posting who are doing clutching that say they like it higher like 8100-8200 take it for what it's worth.  I haven't rode mine yet so this isn't first hand.  But, dynos aren't the end all.

Im shooting for 8000 max on mine

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yup... 56/49 helix with 180/240 spring.  

Ill be honest I don't fully understand these helixes on the BOSS.. I was thinking this link is for a straight 48?  

Just now, jonlafon1 said:

Ill be honest I don't fully understand these helixes on the BOSS.. I was thinking this link is for a straight 48?  

M uses the 48 

Pn 0748-048

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I will let you know for sure tomorrow.. Im opening up the secondary tonight.. 

1 minute ago, jonlafon1 said:

I will let you know for sure tomorrow.. Im opening up the secondary tonight.. 

either the manual is wrong or the parts catalog is wrong... :dunno: