Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

10 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

Yes I should have said measurable. Maybe I’ll buy 2 shock dynos and run a black ano and kashima QS3R on them side by side for an hour wide open and record temps and oil cleanliness at the end. Bet there’s no or almost no difference and that’s at an extreme condition. Vince VanSlyke talks about there being negligible performance difference between the two on Gunners podcast and he’s part of the people selling it.

Interesting that that’s not what your argument was, here’s more kashima bodies with chrome shafts though.

IMG_2975.png

You should be able to measure the different on a quality shock dyno.

I'm fairly certain the coating is mainly on their for marketing, but also for wear resistance and break-away resistance of the seals.

• Like 2

I got shafted in 2 ways on this trip. One the shafts weren’t coated and two the fucker came home on a rope. Sled had like 300 miles when it came home on a rope 

IMG_3465.png

Edited by Not greg b

4 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

IMG_2975.jpeg

When Arctic Cat decided to copy Fox shocks but use a coated shaft that was a shock rebuilders dream.  The number of shafts replaced with a chromed shaft after the coated shaft pitted was very profitable.  👍

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm fairly certain the coating is mainly on their for marketing, but also for wear resistance and break-away resistance of the seals.

But pitted easily and take the seals out.

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I’m sure it does have some negligible performance advantages but the biggest one is gold looks a lot cooler and “higher end” than black.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I got shafted in 2 ways on this trip. One the shafts weren’t coated and two the fucker came home on a rope. Sled had like 300 miles when it came home on a rope 

IMG_3465.png

RXC?

9 minutes ago, Doug said:

But pitted easily and take the seals out.

The chrome or the Kashima?  I'm assuming you are referring to the chrome.

Edited by racinfarmer

11 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

IMG_3465.png

If the shafts were coated you would’ve never pretzeled the bulkhead

5 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

If the shafts were coated you would’ve never pretzeled the bulkhead

If you looked ahead, you would not have wrecked your sled.  Heard that a few times. Kind of a life lesson actually. 

2 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

If you looked ahead, you would not have wrecked your sled.  Heard that a few times. Kind of a life lesson actually. 

There was no bulk head damage in that photo. Fucking engine wouldn’t run. 800 ctech reliability 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

RXC?

This would be the QPQ treated shafts they use to use that would be pitted after 2-3 years.  With them I'll take the chrome.

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

There was no bulk head damage in that photo. Fucking engine wouldn’t run. 800 ctech reliability 

More like, idiot not breaking it in properly. Just a hunch.

5 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

You know what is really fun?

Getting 100 miles on a sled, overriding the break in mode, and pinning it WFO for a mile+ at a time.

Probably while running a little on the warmer side of happy to boot.

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

RXC?

The chrome I was recently informed the shafts should be gold plated lol

12 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

You would be shocked. When you hold it on the chip at like 50 and it comes out of stage one it lights right up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palu49 said:

Yes I should have said measurable. Maybe I’ll buy 2 shock dynos and run a black ano and kashima QS3R on them side by side for an hour wide open and record temps and oil cleanliness at the end. Bet there’s no or almost no difference and that’s at an extreme condition. Vince VanSlyke talks about there being negligible performance difference between the two on Gunners podcast and he’s part of the people selling it.

Interesting that that’s not what your argument was, here’s more kashima bodies with chrome shafts though.

IMG_2975.png

I have no idea how kashima compares to black anodized, I'm not an expert on any of this stuff on any specific level I just understand the theory behind it.   Black anodized is a coating though also, I'd imagine it is more slippery than bare aluminum 

58 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I have no idea how kashima compares to black anodized, I'm not an expert on any of this stuff on any specific level I just understand the theory behind it.   Black anodized is a coating though also, I'd imagine it is more slippery than bare aluminum 

I took a rattle can of high heat grill paint to my shock shafts. I will probably see a difference. The kung fu coating does make a slight difference but at the end of the day for trail riders it doesn’t matter. 

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

I took a rattle can of high heat grill paint to my shock shafts. I will probably see a difference. The kung fu coating does make a slight difference but at the end of the day for trail riders it doesn’t matter. 

Likely doesn't, but it's cool bling because it is a sign of high end components.  I'm not picking any sides in this fight I was just arguing on principle because there was some flawed logic going on and I can't let that go.

You need to the put the shock in the grill to bake on the coating for supreme hardness.  Go til it's that golden color I'm pretty sure that's how fox does it 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Runs 91-92 at 8250-8300 rpm held wide open for like 1/2 a mile.

Well im not to surprised its over revving with the stock weights.. Very seldom does Cat put enough weight in the clutches stock.. Are you running everything stock on your sled?  And clutch work or exhaust or any mods? If not its time for some adjustable weights maybe?  I never even ran the stock weights in my RXC.. Matter fact I sold them.. I have some stuff done to both clutches and I knew right off I would over rev based on those changes.  Hence the adjustable weights from day one.. I believe we want these catalyst to run 7950 RPM WFO?

8 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

If you looked ahead and went 14 instead of 14 maybe you wouldn't have wrecked your sled.

I believe we are seeing very few Kashima shocks is because FOX had a hard time providing them?  The last couple years sleds were late to customers because Cat was waiting on FOX/kashima coated shocks? Can anyone tell the difference? Doubt it very highly..  Maybe some big time pro racers can but the average guy riding down the trail > not a chance..