Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

34 minutes ago, krom said:

Mike isn't exactly a fan of those shocks...

But AC was retailing them for $99.95, before jumping the prices on them..  I'd venture a guess that they cost less than $15 to manufacture at that time given the number of times they got marked up (manufacture to ac, ac to dealer, dealer to customer)

years back one of the parts folks accidentally told me how little they paid for a 2 stroke 90 atv piston....  it was under $5

Worked for a large Japanese electronics company before I retired early. Ran the IT department, and in one of our pricing modules there was code that took the landed cost of parts and multiplied by a factor of 20 to come up with a retail price for our dealers. Nice mark up

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

so, it looks like we're back to the SnoPro days @Not greg b@taperk600 @krom

based upon what Greg told me about his first ride I'm thinking...

Base ZR 129 uses 95lb ski springs (10.5"L) and a 90/250 dual rate FTS spring (8.25") 

RXC uses 120lb ski springs (10.5 p/n 3703-704) and a two piece FTS spring with a 170/250 rate (3704-039 & 3704-036) 

Being that they're using basic 2" non resi IFP's... change the base model over to the 120lb ski springs and for the FTS spring the old tried and true 210lb straight rate 7.5" SnoPro spring (pn 1704-822)

then adjust valving and rebound for the IFP's with Carver from there.  idk about the torsions yet... :)

I run 120lb'ers on the stock 500 rather than the 140's but had Mike give them a bit more rebound on the last service.  tried the dual rate on the stock 500 FTS IFP but abandoned it when I switched up to DSC's and went back to the straight 210lb

The ski springs are $38 each and the SP FTS spring is $70 so imo it's cheap enough to try it.

I doubt carver would even rebuild those cheap ifp. It would cost more money to have them rebuilt than to buy a new set from cat. They are not decent ifp like the fox zero pro used 10 years ago on the 500. Cat really needs better shock package between the ifp and the atac. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

I doubt carver would even rebuild those cheap ifp. It would cost more money to have them rebuilt than to buy a new set from cat. They are not decent ifp like the fox zero pro used 10 years ago on the 500. Cat really needs better shock package between the ifp and the atac. 

Probably, but it's pretty obvious to me the springs are the weak sauce in the pot of soup.  But Catextron catered to the Doo and Poo crew by softening everything. 

What springs do they come with?  I'll look tomorrow but I can assure you they're 'cushy'. 

#metoo 

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Probably, but it's pretty obvious to me the springs are the weak sauce in the pot of soup.  But Catextron catered to the Doo and Poo crew by softening everything. 

What springs do they come with?  I'll look tomorrow but I can assure you they're 'cushy'. 

#metoo 

I doubt changing springs on those shitty dampners will do much of anything. Guys tried that on the limited center arm and the shock would blow out. They were using the crappy shock in it. The fix was to throw it away and put a qs3 on it from the rr. The front arm is that single wound 90/250 they have used since beginning of time not the 2 piece dual rate the xc has. The biggest issue going to be that front arm. 

Edited by Not greg b

44 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Are they even rebuildable?

The wife's TNT doesn't have rebuildable shocks on it.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Not even sure. The part number on the front arm comes up as the same shock they have been using since 2017 on the front arm. Looks like a qs3 off a limited will fit the rear arm. 

Looks like the 2025 product guide is out. Someone is posting teaser pictures of the 858. Looks like a new shock package called the ac5 what ever that is. And they are making the 858 sticker the size of a billboard. Krom have you got that information in your hands yet?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

I doubt changing springs on those shitty dampners will do much of anything. Guys tried that on the limited center arm and the shock would blow out. They were using the crappy shock in it. The fix was to throw it away and put a qs3 on it from the rr. The front arm is that single wound 90/250 they have used since beginning of time not the 2 piece dual rate the xc has. The biggest issue going to be that front arm. 

bet you $291 you're wrong... 

wager?

bring it down, well rip it apart

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

20 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Looks like the 2025 product guide is out. Someone is posting teaser pictures of the 858. Looks like a new shock package called the ac5 what ever that is. And they are making the 858 sticker the size of a billboard. Krom have you got that information in your hands yet?

Demo's of 858 are on the line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

31 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Not even sure. The part number on the front arm comes up as the same shock they have been using since 2017 on the front arm. Looks like a qs3 off a limited will fit the rear arm. 

IFP's have always been rebuildable, and can be revalved by knowledgeable minds... unlike that KYB junk BRP puts on all the way up to the X package.  

35 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

yeah... but you may as well get one with rebound adjustability

help me spend your $  :roflcrying:

34 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Demo's of 858 are on the line.

A run of green ones was done a week or 2 ago.

It wasn't too long ago you said the 858 would be last to be built, after the media sleds.. 

On 1/2/2024 at 9:05 PM, ZR6000RR said:

Already told this..858 being last on the line. Still playing with lots of items, I'm guessing. Crn, or crm, or what ever is your pronoun, that's the story I was given from some pretty high in the food chain. Got it? 

Wrong as usual 

Edited by krom
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

maybe I'm the only one who recalls all the time, effort and posts about how people tried to improve the 2010 SP 500 suspension and shocks without buying DSC's and Float's?  the recipe hasn't changed, just the shape of the pot...

:dunno:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/snopro-500-rear-skid-improvment.572812/?post_id=6220986&nested_view=1#post-6220986

https://www.arcticchat.com/threads/sp-500-suspension-adjustments.329483/

maybe people just expect shit to work straight out of the box for them regardless of what they weigh or how/where they ride today... lame  :handjob:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe I'm the only one who recalls all the time, effort and posts about how people tried to improve the 2010 SP 500 suspension and shocks without buying DSC's and Float's?  the recipe hasn't changed, just the shape of the pot...

:dunno:

The shocks used on the sp500 were a 1000 times better than these cheap ifps. Favaritos has shattered a metric crap ton of them. That will probably be my end result. I am not sinking any money into the suspension on this until there is a viable option to get rid of those things. I could probably get a both front shocks brand new for about 100 bucks for spare tires. 

Edited by Not greg b

3 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The shocks used on the sp500 were a 1000 times better than these cheap ifps. Favaritos has shattered a metric crap ton of them. That will probably be my end result. I am not sinking any money into the suspension on this until there is a viable option to get rid of those things. I could probably get a both front shocks brand new for about 100 bucks for spare tires. 

the body or the guts?  

granted mine are thirteen years old but I've never had an issue

The shocks aren't any worse than the late 90's early 2000's fox stuff..  Other than the IFP  o-ring everything will interchange with fox.  They use the same powder metal pistons as fox did etc.

Edited by krom

3 minutes ago, krom said:

The shocks aren't any worse than the late 90's early 2000's fox stuff..  Other than the IFP  o-ring everything will interchange with fox.  They use the same powder metal pistons as fox did etc.

but when utilized in an under sprung sled... they're probably junk

shocks just absorb, springs carry the weight and take the hit in conjunction with the chassis

if the chassis can take it, up the spring rate

as I see it... 

36 minutes ago, krom said:

A run of green ones was done a week or 2 ago.

It wasn't too long ago you said the 858 would be last to be built, after the media sleds.. 

Wrong as usual 

You cant read for shit. Still wont feel sorry for you. Not worth a tissue. 

Just now, ZR6000RR said:

You cant read for shit. Still wont feel sorry for you. Not worth a tissue. 

On the line this morning. Were shut down for holidays. Might have had some to start, but? Fuck OFF!

You are so stupid, that you quoted yourself, saw you quoted yourself, and hit submit anyway???

image.thumb.png.a920d3094596330ad10d320c12a673e2.png

8 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

On the line this morning. Were shut down for holidays. Might have had some to start, but? Fuck OFF!

Just like everything else you say, that is wrong too.  They did a build of green ones last week or the week before

Edited by krom
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, krom said:

you are so stupid, that you quoted yourself, saw you quoted yourself, and hit submit anyway???

image.thumb.png.a920d3094596330ad10d320c12a673e2.png

Fuck! What? You sucking AOC off?