Check your account email address ×

Solar and wind energy is a failure.

irv

• Platinum Contributing Member

require absurdly large tracts of land, disrupt animal habitats, kill hundreds of thousands of birds and bats, and despoil natural landscapes

Pump jacks and oil derricks are all sights of beauty. They really enhance the natural landscapes!

:lol:

Edited by Steve753

52 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Look at all the wild life here roaming around in the natural habitat coexisting with oil field in the US!

17DF6A5E-1C72-4848-AEB3-8BF306BE3579.jpeg

From what I've seen most oil fields are in remote locations and unless you go looking for them you won't really see them, large solar farms also seem like a waste but I do like the idea personal solar panels, I've had them on my fish house for a few years and now most of my friends have them, it's really nice not running the generator out on the ice. When home wind generators were becoming popular I looked hard at them, but to buy a good one plus the maintenance didn't make sense. The decision I'm debating is whether to have a battery storage or just sell the overage to the co-op and wait for battery technology to catch up.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, big_phil said:

How about the fact that solar panels take more energy to produce than the amount of energy they can provide throughout their life cycle.

Maxeon Solar Technologies, a major PV module producer based in Singapore, revealed the results of a third-party energy payback performance evaluation of its Maxeon 3 panels in its 2021 annual sustainability report. 

Energy payback is the period required for a renewable energy system to generate the same amount of energy that was used to produce the system itself. The assessment considers the cumulative energy demand over all the life cycle stages of solar panels and considers local grid efficiencies for different global locations. 

The test found that Maxeon 3 solar panels had an energy payback period ranging from 0.13 to 0.45 years for ground mounted module, and 0.27 to 0.92 years for a residential rooftop system. For ground mounted panels, the energy payback period can be as little as 47.5 days. 

Spread over the 40-year performance warranty on the panels, the energy output exceeds the input more than 100 times over its lifetime, marking a significant milestone for the sustainability of PV technology.

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/07/05/energy-output-is-over-100-times-the-input-needed-to-manufacture-solar-panels/

• Gold Member
53 minutes ago, big_phil said:

How about the fact that solar panels take more energy to produce than the amount of energy they can provide throughout their life cycle.

That was true a long time ago.  Not the case today or remotely close to an accurate statement

1 hour ago, big_phil said:

The system my parents installed in 1980 was like that, the systems my friends have installed have paid for themselves in less than 4 years and would be less than 6 without subsidy.

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Let’s us all know when the solar panels spill and cause catastrophic environmental harm.

I'm sure the manufacturing and disposal of solar panels has no negitive effects on the environment. 

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I can’t believe how misinformed people are about solar. 

I think a lot  of that has to do with mistrust in anything the government tries to push 

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Let’s us all know when the solar panels spill and cause catastrophic environmental harm.

4 hours ago, $poorsledder$ said:

How are the solar panels at your place doing?

Just say'n...

:owned:

:lol:

Another Mainecunt beatdown .

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

They are recycled.

What percent of solar panels are recycled?

Image result for are solar panels recyclable

Only about 10% of panels in the US are recycled—it isn't mandated by federal regulations, and recycling the devices is currently much more expensive than just discarding them. But the materials in solar panels coming offline each year could be worth an estimated $2 billion by 2050.Aug 19, 2021

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

The system my parents installed in 1980 was like that, the systems my friends have installed have paid for themselves in less than 4 years and would be less than 6 without subsidy.

Absolutely true.

Problem is, most people don't have the land to install a PV array that could net them benefits like that.

Solar array and wind tower owners are then the "big energy" companies. Forced on the masses.

Problem is that the cost to the end user of energy nets zero financial benefit from wind and solar.

Might as well buy your energy from "big oil" at a fraction of the cost.

I'll probably go off grid in the next couple years. 20kw of solar and batteries, natural gas generator as backup. I can make it work.

Only possible because I have 30 acres and a natural gas line to my home.

Very few have that luxury....but fuck them that don't?

I say no to "fuck the pleebs, let them pay more"