Check your account email address ×

Did GM employ the most retarded engineers in the history of modern man?

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I’m working over a 1994 6.5 diesel and there are some really fucking stupid decisions that were made. Just overtly dumb like they were intentionally trying to put bugs in shit.

I had one of them things. 94 K3500 diesel. I don’t remember a lot of problems with the motor in the 200 something thousand miles that I owned it. But I used to have to replace the caliper on one of the front brakes at least once a year.

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I had one of them things. 94 K3500 diesel. I don’t remember a lot of problems with the motor in the 200 something thousand miles that I owned it. But I used to have to replace the caliper on one of the front brakes at least once a year.

I got this one for $1500 and fixed the reverse that wasn’t working. It’s actually a pretty nice truck. Just needs a little loving. 

8D2A6AA8-C54F-4C27-873E-158AB6515EB2.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I got this one for $1500 and fixed the reverse that wasn’t working. It’s actually a pretty nice truck. Just needs a little loving. 

8D2A6AA8-C54F-4C27-873E-158AB6515EB2.png

mine was a cab chassis that was part of the fleet that I bought when I had the portable toilet company. He had some local fabricator make him a 600 gallon vacuum tank that mounted on the back, but he never put any baffles in it. You would come to a stop sign in the thing would just sit there and be rocking back-and-forth like a boat does when it’s docked and another one goes by and leaves a big wake.   😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

mine was a cab chassis that was part of the fleet that I bought when I had the portable toilet company. He had some local fabricator make him a 600 gallon vacuum tank that mounted on the back, but he never put any baffles in it. You would come to a stop sign in the thing would just sit there and be rocking back-and-forth like a boat does when it’s docked and another one goes by and leaves a big wake.   😆

:lol: I just rented my excavator to a guy that pumps septics....I was thinking about how much baffling it must take to mitigate the tank sloshing. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Baby dmax has a belt driven oil pump. 

You have to drop the transmission to service it. 

WT actual F? 

all quiet on that front for now, but give it time. our first one died in 100 miles, then a month to get a crank sensor. you better need a diesel if you buy one

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pretty sure the 3.5 NA in my MKX has that setup…so far so good…knock on wood.😂

I have 2 vehicles with them, they were bought close together time wise and I didn't find out about the water pump issue till later. 

• Like 1

I’m sticking to gas after the terrible time I had with a diesel sprinter. 3 month wait times for servicing. Not all Mercedes dealers service them. Mega expensive ESP Mobil 1 oil. The ridiculous countdown incorporated into the cpu WILL leave you stranded. Fuck diesels. 

On 8/29/2022 at 2:41 PM, Matt said:

Baby dmax has a belt driven oil pump. 

You have to drop the transmission to service it. 

WT actual F? 

And it runs in an oil bath. 

Edited by spin_dry

GM should still be making their 3800 engines.  All I think of with these new turbocharged gassers is an expensive repair bill.  Even Toyota has issues with their new one.

For a truck I'm sticking with the 5.0 liter or the new 7.3 liter gas in a 3/4+ ton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

I was just trying to think about any possible advantage and I guess if you wanted to be able to have the wastegate fully open during a low load condition maybe the vacuum operation is better? 

No idea what the advantages are, but you get full vacuum at all operating speeds.

I just drive them.....

48 minutes ago, ICG said:

No idea what the advantages are, but you get full vacuum at all operating speeds.

I just drive them.....

Right but you can control a wastegate very accurately on boost as well without any additional accessories aside from a wastegate solenoid. The only issue is you cannot have boost pressure lower than the wastegate spring under any load unless you vent it through another recirc valve electronically. 

5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

GM should still be making their 3800 engines.  All I think of with these new turbocharged gassers is an expensive repair bill.  Even Toyota has issues with their new one.

For a truck I'm sticking with the 5.0 liter or the new 7.3 liter gas in a 3/4+ ton.

3800 were great. many of the replacements are not

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

Almost Every turbo has a wastegate and most are operated on pressure not vacuum. There’s no such thing as negative pressure :lol: that’s an oxymoron , moron 

Variable Geometry Turbos do not have waste gates...

Used in Duramax since 2004.5 LLY, Cummins, & Powerstroke since mid 2000s.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

My Pops had a 94 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.5 Turbo diesel.

that thing was a bitch to start and remember it being kind of a pig .

He put alot of towing miles on it tho

I had a 97 half ton Silverado. It sounded like trash can lids smashing together on a cold morning.

Edited by Steve753

7 hours ago, soeaster said:

Variable Geometry Turbos do not have waste gates...

Used in Duramax since 2004.5 LLY, Cummins, & Powerstroke since mid 2000s.

The more I read the more I realize diesel setups are definitely not the norm , can’t believe they use an aerocharger :lol: it doesn’t work on sleds or harleys but apparently works well on diesels 

22 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I dunno, Ford making an engine with an internal timing chain driven water pump would be my pick.

agreed because i had to spend the money to replace one.   non servicible PTU on the same vehicle was another winner.  

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:15 PM, sleepybrew said:

i was watching the war play out due to programming of door latches and such. jd making tractors like cars, except they are 100 miles from service and service comes to you. the farmers are hacking the jd system and jd is pissed!

yup  FKM!  i dont recall where i saw it but i saw a video of farmers having to take their tractors to hackers that can get in to these programs, or buy the programs to do it themselves since JD isnt standing by their customers. it looks to me like they are losing more and more business to the other manufacturers. a lot less green than red around here these days.    serves them right to lose out.

29 minutes ago, old indy said:

yup  FKM!  i dont recall where i saw it but i saw a video of farmers having to take their tractors to hackers that can get in to these programs, or buy the programs to do it themselves since JD isnt standing by their customers. it looks to me like they are losing more and more business to the other manufacturers. a lot less green than red around here these days.    serves them right to lose out.

Caterpillar isn't any better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, old indy said:

they must be totally out of touch. the logistics of having all that shit on a farm tractor is ridiculous