Check your account email address ×

Alternative heat source

Winter will be here soon and with Biden’s oil prices I don’t can’t or want  to buy oil.

Pellet stove or wood stove. I’ve had pellet before but man they are expensive. Initial cost thing. Wood stove doesn’t seem much cheaper.

what to do..

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Winter will be here soon and with Biden’s oil prices I don’t can’t or want  to buy oil.

Pellet stove or wood stove. I’ve had pellet before but man they are expensive. Initial cost thing. Wood stove doesn’t seem much cheaper.

what to do..

Wood works without power. Either way, order one now if you want it before winter. I'm sure that they will be in short supply.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

what to do..

Depends if you have free firewood. Or would you be buying it? 

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Wood works without power. Either way, order one now if you want it before winter. I'm sure that they will be in short supply.

Yeah the power thing can be a issue. Lots of wood stoves with fans now but that’s no biggie 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

This year I’d have to buy a few cord 

If the price of bio bricks hasn't gone through the roof they are a good option if you are buying wood anyway. They burn very clean without a lot of ash to clean out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah the power thing can be a issue. Lots of wood stoves with fans now but that’s no biggie 

As long as it's not a combustion fan,most are circulation fans. If you don't mind getting your own wood and the mess,free heat is the best. I got tired of wood after 20+ years,15 with a Taylor 750 outdoor wood boiler.That fucker could eat 15-20 cord of 3ft green birch a year.Good thing wood was delivered for free then.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have this heat pump/ A/c split system in my place in Pa. They have come a long way and can now be used in pretty extreme Temps.  Love it, super quiet, don't even know it's running and very efficient. But very pricey, initial cost. I knew someone that installed it cheap and plan to get another one this year to cover other side of house. Trying to get away from using my oil boiler which has become super expensive.

It's also supposed to be environmentally friendly, but that had no part of my decision to get one despite my global warming thread:lol:...didn't even realize that til I read this link.

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/articles/what-is-a-heat-pump

I also have a pellet stove in basement, that helps to some degree.

• Like 1

Time is money. I burned wood as a supplement years ago. If you cut it yourself and it’s free it consumes many hours cutting, hauling, cutting splitting and stacking. If you buy log length grapple loads you still need to cut, split and stack. And don’t be thinking your gonna pay what you did 2 years ago. The wood guys are just as greedy as the oil guys.

Oh and don’t forget you still need 5 dollar gas to for your truck to haul the wood and the same for the splitter.

After all this you need to spend at least and hour a day bringing in wood, feeding the stove and cleaning it out.

Figure the hours X 20.00 a hour and see what it costs. You aren’t saving money even if oil is 5 bucks a gallon.

JMO

Edited by Mainecat

33 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Time is money. I burned wood as a supplement years ago. If you cut it yourself and it’s free it consumes many hours cutting, hauling, cutting splitting and stacking. If you buy log length grapple loads you still need to cut, split and stack. And don’t be thinking your gonna pay what you did 2 years ago. The wood guys are just as greedy as the oil guys.

Oh and don’t forget you still need 5 dollar gas to for your truck to haul the wood and the same for the splitter.

After all this you need to spend at least and hour a day bringing in wood, feeding the stove and cleaning it out.

Figure the hours X 20.00 a hour and see what it costs. You aren’t saving money even if oil is 5 bucks a gallon.

JMO

My neighbor just had about 15 tree's dropped. He cut em to 7 footers and brought em over for me. Now the real work begins.

38 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

JMO

All true.

I consider it paid exercise vs lifting weights.

I have natural gas now, so my wood stove is only because the wife likes oven hot.

20 acres of dead or dying pine trees, plus 4 ish bush cord of cut spilt hardwood to feed it and the outdoor wood boiler.

People on oil or propane this winter are going to really feel it.

in Ontario anyway, it is now significantly cheaper to heat with hydro vs oil.

Glad I left the baseboards in and added electric in the garage, shop and bathrooms.

Edited by Voodoo

3 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I have this heat pump/ A/c split system in my place in Pa. They have come a long way and can now be used in pretty extreme Temps.  Love it, super quiet, don't even know it's running and very efficient. But very pricey, initial cost. I knew someone that installed it cheap and plan to get another one this year to cover other side of house. Trying to get away from using my oil boiler which has become super expensive.

It's also supposed to be environmentally friendly, but that had no part of my decision to get one despite my global warming thread:lol:...didn't even realize that til I read this link.

https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/articles/what-is-a-heat-pump

I also have a pellet stove in basement, that helps to some degree.

We put in 3 pumps last fall. 2 smaller ones for additions on the house, and a large one for the rest of the house. Outlay was $13,500, start to finish.

I think our highest electric bill was $650, but even at the prices of oil last winter it equaled a very large savings.

We never had to turn on the furnace one time all winter, them things just kicked out the heat. I was impressed.

• Like 1

When we build the new house we're going with a heat/ac pump on the main floor and one in the basement. On the main floor we'll have a wood burning fireplace and a woodstove in the basement. The current house we have a wood burning fireplace and it's nice to light a fire when friends drop by

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Snake said:

We put in 3 pumps last fall. 2 smaller ones for additions on the house, and a large one for the rest of the house. Outlay was $13,500, start to finish.

I think our highest electric bill was $650, but even at the prices of oil last winter it equaled a very large savings.

We never had to turn on the furnace one time all winter, them things just kicked out the heat. I was impressed.

Yup.. very happy so far and the A/C works very well too. I think you can get them without AC or vice versa. We got this unit late summer and was real impressed on how well it cooled the area it was in but we definitely need another for the other half........and so unbelievably quiet.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Dried cordwood that was 250. To 275. delivered last year is 400.  Now.

Everyone is a capitalist now.   

Everybody just making a living is all it is.  Families to feed, gas to buy, and lodging needs

Edited by BOHICA

I'm running a Harman Accentra Fireplace Insert . . .  Not in love with it... noisy, needs too much tlc.  

PIA to clean it weekly to keep it operating efficiently...

Pellet inserts. Fireplace inserts were mid 3k upwards of 4k. . . Probably more with current conditions.

Really like new Viessmann condensation boiler... 98% efficient..just wish I could get LNG

Have to love expensive oil... maybe I can sell dead timber . . .

• Like 1