Check your account email address ×

Alternative heat source

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Honestly if you can get it it burns extremely hot and lasts a long time . I had a bud who was a semi pro blacksmith . I would buy big bags from him to toss in my cabin wood stove . We talked about finding some for our super small  trail shelter stove  . Just not super abundant in MN unless you k own a guy who works in the  becker plant or somthing 

Coal has its place. I didn’t work over four decades to shovel coal when there’s better options. The savings isn’t worth it to me. 

27 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Coal has its place. I didn’t work over four decades to shovel coal when there’s better options. The savings isn’t worth it to me. 

A gunny sack would heat that van for a yr 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Honestly if you can get it it burns extremely hot and lasts a long time . I had a bud who was a semi pro blacksmith . I would buy big bags from him to toss in my cabin wood stove . We talked about finding some for our super small  trail shelter stove  . Just not super abundant in MN unless you k own a guy who works in the  becker plant or somthing 

I will add 4-5 bags a winter into the woodstove. Rice burns best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ford_428cj said:

They want everything electric - including cars. They're even banning natural gas on new builds in areas now. Govt can control all electric stuff easy...

Explain to me how the govt can “control electric” but why they can’t “control natural gas” 

this ought to be good 

I’ve never had a heating bill over $140 a month and I’m on nat gas. The stat never goes above 68 degrees either. For those with these ductless split heat pumps,make sure you are saving for repairs and replacement costs. They are right up there with owning a Range Rover out of warranty. Mitsubishi is definitely the best choice if picking a brand. They are all a pain in the ass to work on and get parts. They are a good option for ac if you don’t have duct work or a small addition. They aren’t popular because of how efficient they are. They are popular because of installing costs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Explain to me how the govt can “control electric” but why they can’t “control natural gas” 

this ought to be good 

Forderpo?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

figured it wood ( would ) eventually , They are dirtier then coal.

Wood stoves  burnt hot are clean...

Tighten the air supply, add wet wood, trash.etc and you can see the dark smoke exiting the chimney and SMELL the stench as it lingers.

The operator is the culprit, more so than an EPA approved stove.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Easier to have all under one system. 

Ah no ....you are clueless. It’s just as easy to shut a pipeline off if not easier than to interrupt portions of the grid. I mean I get where you’re going with it but it’s just hot logical at all. 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, f7ben said:

this ought to be good 

I read that and it was a head scratcher.  

republicans hate electricity cause it is very easy to make your own and you are not a slave to a corporation like you are with fossil fuels.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I read that and it was a head scratcher.  

republicans hate electricity cause it is very easy to make your own and you are not a slave to a corporation like you are with fossil fuels.

I mean I guess from a layman’s perspective they think shutting off a whole city is just a flip of a switch. That is overly simplistic and no utility would ever do that willfully unless their infrastructure was at risk of serious damage. Conversely you can simply shut a pipeline flow down immediately without any detriment aside from losing supply. 

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I mean I guess from a layman’s perspective they think shutting off a whole city is just a flip of a switch. That is overly simplistic and no utility would ever do that willfully unless their infrastructure was at risk of serious damage. Conversely you can simply shut a pipeline flow down immediately without any detriment aside from losing supply. 

Shut it down to individuals who don't comply. Can't charge car...and no heat. 

Just now, ford_428cj said:

Shut it down to individuals who don't comply. Can't charge car...and no heat. 

You can do the same thing with any energy source :lol: you can shut someone’s nat gas off remotely with the flip of a switch. 

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You can do the same thing with any energy source :lol: you can shut someone’s nat gas off remotely with the flip of a switch. 

Not if you use wood as a heat source.  That's his point.  Wood is readily available and requires nothing more than hard labor to make into energy, ie heat.

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Not if you use wood as a heat source.  That's his point.  Wood is readily available and requires nothing more than hard labor to make into energy, ie heat.

And anyone with land and access to wood will continue to burn it at their discretion. The government can try all they want and they will never stop that. 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

And anyone with land and access to wood will continue to burn it at their discretion. The government can try all they want and they will never stop that. 

I agree.  And the government hates that freedom that those people have.  The regulations that they have put on the outside woodburners have really made them a pita.  I know the wood/fuel/coal burner that I have cannot be bought any longer in the USA.  Seems that anything that was made simple and easy to use/fix keeps slowly being regulated by the government into complicated POS's

Edited by racer254

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

I agree.  And the government hates that freedom that those people have.

If the government wants people to go electric all they have to do is make it cheap lol , then everyone would abandon everything else instantly