Check your account email address ×

Polaris has more to worry about than just being too tippy

Rod

17 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I finally ended up with a new motor, in March. Cleaned up the sled, sold it right away, and have never owned any doo since.

All of my skidoos have been stellar. Only problem i had was with the 2015 etec. The throttle kept cutting out. I guess there was a bulletin for something to do with the fuel pump. Didnt matter I traded it in on the assault. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, I went thru this bullshit with Doo while owning a brand new 1998. Closest I have ever come to murdering someone. LOL

Totally lost season, because of the blame game going around in circles, when it should of been a 5 minute decision, and solution.

Knock on wood, I've blown up sleds at least 8-10 times over the years, and not lost a lot of riding time, and for the most part, sleds were warranteed and I had no out of pocket.  The seasons are short and so dependant on the weather, that lost riding time would have me losing my shit if everyone else was riding.  Last 2 motors blown sucked though.  2017 Polaris Assault 800, should have extended the warrranty, didn't.  First ride of 2019, gassed up at the semi remote place we always go, motor lets go and seizes.  We're 50 miles from camp in the woods, snow is heavy, don't feel like getting towed that far, so get it going on one cylinder and nurse it home.  Dealer says it needs new everything, 7 or 8 grand he quotes me....wtf  I don't remember the exact amount, just that it was insane.  I had just had the shocks done, rebuilt the entire skid with all new bearings, etc.  Ended up selling as is for 5500, basically took a 4 or 5 grand porking.  Didn't want to lose riding time, so bought a 2019 Renegade Turbo 900.  Finished out the season on it and absolutely loved it.  Over the summer, put on a 1.75 track, wider skis and a few other goodies.  At about 4000 miles we were offtrailing 20 miles from the nearest trail and I ended up doing a slow speed rollover and it landed on the throttle wide open.  Takes me 5-10 seconds to climb back up the hill to shut it down.  WeI' get it uprighted, and now it won't start, just clicks.  Hmm.  I get this strange idea that maybe it hydrolocked and I just have to wait for the oil to settle down.  We tear it all down to remove the sparkplugs out in the middle of the woods, nothing.  We're in 3-4 ft of snow, and brother is trying to tow me out, but it was a bitch.  I keep trying to start the motor and sounds like it wants to turn over, yay!  Finally get it fired up and ride home to camp.  Figured the adventure was over.  A week later i'm coming across the field, and the thing locks up again.  I get off and there is a puddle of oil coming out.  Fucked.  Blew a rod right threw the case, completely obliterated the starter in the process.  Dealer says, sorry operator error, apparentely the crank dry seized when I rolled it.  Ski Doo won't warrant that.  11 fucking grand for a new motor, for a sled i paid 12,800 the year before.  I mean wtf.  I ended up getting insurance to cover it because it was an accident.  But they made me drag it to two different dealers for an evaluation before they'd pay.  The whole experience sucked.  Now I have a Backcountry, and hope the hell it doesn't blow up on me, only has 1800ish miles on it now.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Knock on wood, I've blown up sleds at least 8-10 times over the years, and not lost a lot of riding time, and for the most part, sleds were warranteed and I had no out of pocket.  The seasons are short and so dependant on the weather, that lost riding time would have me losing my shit if everyone else was riding.  Last 2 motors blown sucked though.  2017 Polaris Assault 800, should have extended the warrranty, didn't.  First ride of 2019, gassed up at the semi remote place we always go, motor lets go and seizes.  We're 50 miles from camp in the woods, snow is heavy, don't feel like getting towed that far, so get it going on one cylinder and nurse it home.  Dealer says it needs new everything, 7 or 8 grand he quotes me....wtf  I don't remember the exact amount, just that it was insane.  I had just had the shocks done, rebuilt the entire skid with all new bearings, etc.  Ended up selling as is for 5500, basically took a 4 or 5 grand porking.  Didn't want to lose riding time, so bought a 2019 Renegade Turbo 900.  Finished out the season on it and absolutely loved it.  Over the summer, put on a 1.75 track, wider skis and a few other goodies.  At about 4000 miles we were offtrailing 20 miles from the nearest trail and I ended up doing a slow speed rollover and it landed on the throttle wide open.  Takes me 5-10 seconds to climb back up the hill to shut it down.  WeI' get it uprighted, and now it won't start, just clicks.  Hmm.  I get this strange idea that maybe it hydrolocked and I just have to wait for the oil to settle down.  We tear it all down to remove the sparkplugs out in the middle of the woods, nothing.  We're in 3-4 ft of snow, and brother is trying to tow me out, but it was a bitch.  I keep trying to start the motor and sounds like it wants to turn over, yay!  Finally get it fired up and ride home to camp.  Figured the adventure was over.  A week later i'm coming across the field, and the thing locks up again.  I get off and there is a puddle of oil coming out.  Fucked.  Blew a rod right threw the case, completely obliterated the starter in the process.  Dealer says, sorry operator error, apparentely the crank dry seized when I rolled it.  Ski Doo won't warrant that.  11 fucking grand for a new motor, for a sled i paid 12,800 the year before.  I mean wtf.  I ended up getting insurance to cover it because it was an accident.  But they made me drag it to two different dealers for an evaluation before they'd pay.  The whole experience sucked.  Now I have a Backcountry, and hope the hell it doesn't blow up on me, only has 1800ish miles on it now.

Dont feel bad, Ive blown up more shit then the unibomber.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

What was wrong with those 98 cranks anyway? Lack of oil passage I heard?.

My 98 700 looks like it has been apart for sure...1200 mile machine and runs like shit since ive owned it lol ..

Lack of lube for the outer PTO crank bearing. In 99 they added a seal and Isoflex. Fix for the 98's is to drill the oil passage

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, Not greg b said:

The 600 has been good. The 800 ctech has been a nightmare. Everyone I personally know has blown theirs up including my self. One of my friends has been through 2 major crank failures. One on his 19 and one on his 21. Both times just over2,000 miles 

OOOOOOOOOOF :lol:

15 hours ago, ACE said:

ooooof

A2A2C14D-320D-404D-B5D1-280114832548.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Lack of lube for the outer PTO crank bearing. In 99 they added a seal and Isoflex. Fix for the 98's is to drill the oil passage

I never trusted the doo 800 ptek so I never bought one, just 600's and those were all perfect. The 2013 etec 800 I had I sold to my buddy in 2015 and he is still riding it. Has aboot 9000 miles on it, unopened. 

4 hours ago, Anler said:

I never trusted the doo 800 ptek so I never bought one, just 600's and those were all perfect. The 2013 etec 800 I had I sold to my buddy in 2015 and he is still riding it. Has aboot 9000 miles on it, unopened. 

yeah blew one of those too.  needed a whole new motor 

20 hours ago, Ziemann said:

The Patriot engines are built in Osceola, WI....and frankly it is OK to be drunk 90% of the time in this state....so what could possibly go wrong?

It's a job requirement, like being vaccinated.

You aren't a snowmobiler until you have heard one kill itself

26 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

It's a job requirement, like being vaccinated.

You aren't a snowmobiler until you have heard one kill itself

Yeah….nothing like going out with a whimper too.  Makes the term “blown up” seem a smidge emotional.

”Hey….who hit my kill switch?  Wait a second…..

…uh oh.”

:lmao:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah….nothing like going out with a whimper too.  Makes the term “blown up” seem a smidge emotional.

”Hey….who hit my kill switch?  Wait a second…..

…uh oh.”

:lmao:

sort've like death flatulence

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. BRAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP……bbbbbbbbbbnnnmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…’mmmm…..mmm…mmmm..m..mm   

(insert sounds of scurrying through tunnel bag searching for the brand new tow strap you never thought you'd have to use, and a LOT of swearing)

11 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Seen it on a bulldozer that was leaking coolant into the cylinder. When hydro locked, mechanic kept trying to start with starter, it bent a rod. Yes the starter bent the rod.

Ran for a couple days but something was off. Then one night, boom, rod through block.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:17 PM, Anler said:

All of the oem's are trying to be like Polaris nowadays. Polaris is killing it across all product lines. #winning!

Are you kidding? Everything Doo does lately Poo does 1-2 model years later, they obviously have a mole in Quebec. 850 E-Tec > 850 Patriot, 600R > 650, Turbo Summit 850 > Turbo RMK 850

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nacapster said:

Are you kidding? Everything Doo does lately Poo does 1-2 model years later, they obviously have a mole in Quebec. 850 E-Tec > 850 Patriot, 600R > 650, Turbo Summit 850 > Turbo RMK 850

Yeah, like when poo did that adjustable carbide thing, the remote rear suspension controls, copied doo's gps gauge and doo's 650cc motor...SMH

1 hour ago, nacapster said:

The axys sleds have been sled of the year for like 5 years straight. They gave it to the mach this year because it's a $20k sled and does have some cool new stuff but they have been chasing poo in handling and gauge tech for several years now. Oh and hp... :news:

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

The axys sleds have been sled of the year for like 5 years straight. They gave it to the mach this year because it's a $20k sled and does have some cool new stuff but they have been chasing poo in handling and gauge tech for several years now. Oh and hp... :news:

“Gauge tech.”

:lol: