Check your account email address ×

stuff you may have forgotten you miss in modern cars and trucks

some of us old timers were having a laugh about 'things' they no longer utilize in modern cars and trucks

one of the things on my list was the vent/fly windows on the front doors, another said metal switch knobs you can use with a glove on - and a real ashtray and cigar lighter and one of the younger guys said (hilariously) - a back seat you can have sex in.  

what's on your list?

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Smoker windows, manual locking hubs with a floor shift 4x4 not some button, crank windows, the lack of electronic shit ie traction control, lane departure etc., A actual freakin key to open and start the car.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Floor dimmer swiches and window wing vent

Drove my 88 f350 today... two best things about that truck... and the two bench seats with no head rests.

I'm gonna say the visibility out of the older vehicles. Big windows small or no pillars. you cant beat it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Drove my 88 f350 today... two best things about that truck... and the two bench seats with no head rests.

I'm gonna say the visibility out of the older vehicles. Big windows small or no pillars. you cant beat it.

Forgot about the headrests, i hate them in my super duty 

Not having all of the extra junk under the hood, just open the hood and there is the engine and easy access to everything under the hood to work on.

Glass headlights

Just a regular dash board without all of this computer crap hooked up to everything.

A real full size spare tire

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Floor dimmer swiches and window wing vent

Floor dimmer switches suck ass driving a stick shift which 1/2 of them are, and no fucking cup holders WTF.  80's-90's shitboxes that I still drive lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, Cat45 said:

Never had a problem with the dimmers but the lack of cup holders really did suck. Had to keep the road beers between your legs

Yep now try drinking beer while driving your stick shift with on coming traffic at night. It's fucking bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vehicles sure have a lot of luxury doo dads.  Fireball 440, you just need a self driving vehicle.  Problems solved. :D

I do agree with the airflow and buttons.  There is not a simple way to keep fresh air in the cab.  They tell you that it saves gas to not use outside air.  Whatever.  The temp controls automatically turn on the compressor with most of these systems.  I rarely needed to run the compressor with actual airflow.  Sure it was hot for a bit if you had her parked in the sun, but get moving and things were good. 

I had one heck of a time with my last vehicle finding one that didn't have touchscreen controls for a majority of functions.  Seems like you are always waiting on those things.  First you have to take your eyes off the other crazies on the road to find the function and then you wait for the screen to adjust.  It's a real PIA in winter too.

New vehicles are quiet with all the insulation and soft surfaces.  It sure makes them hard to clean up if you actually use them for anything.  I used to just throw my junk into the vehicles.  It was fairly easy to clean up the mess later.  I can see why companies making floor liners and seat covers are doing well with new vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
55 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Floor dimmer switches suck ass driving a stick shift which 1/2 of them are, and no fucking cup holders WTF.  80's-90's shitboxes that I still drive lol.

I hate that about my fox gotta jam the cup between the seat and ebrake :lol: pain in the ass

• Gold Member

I just thought of another one as I’m trying to work. New cars when you open the door in gear they kick themselves into park. Absolute pain in the ass when your trying to back onto a frame machine and see where your tires are at. 

25 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I just thought of another one as I’m trying to work. New cars when you open the door in gear they kick themselves into park. Absolute pain in the ass when your trying to back onto a frame machine and see where your tires are at. 

We have 2 Malibu's in the fleet that the door won't open from the inside when it's in reverse. PITA when backing them into their spots.

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

We have 2 Malibu's in the fleet that the door won't open from the inside when it's in reverse. PITA when backing them into their spots.

Some of the crap they come up with is just stupid.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Fireball 440 said:

We have 2019 & 2020 Ford Escapes and the things will damn near drive themselves.

My moms edge will park itself it’s really strange seeing the wheel move by itself. My wife’s car will steer itself down the highway for awhile before it makes you put your hands back on the wheel. I don’t care for all this tech non sense myself but it isn’t going away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

My moms edge will park itself it’s really strange seeing the wheel move by itself. My wife’s car will steer itself down the highway for awhile before it makes you put your hands back on the wheel. I don’t care for all this tech non sense myself but it isn’t going away.

I am so glad I am not an auto tech any more, although the EV stuff fascinates me.

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I am so glad I am not an auto tech any more, although the EV stuff fascinates me.

yup, I don’t envy mechanics at all. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that end of it. EV stuff is pretty neat but I’m guessing a nightmare to do mechanical repairs on.