stuff you may have forgotten you miss in modern cars and trucks

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Aside from from trucks , do any suvs have low range? I'm sure the wrangler does but what else 

4Runner does a lot of semi new Toyota/Lexus have it FJ, gx470. I know I’ve seen it in other I just can’t think of any off the top of my head

• Like 1

I still have a truck with the little vent windows.  I also grew up with them.  I never thought they were real cool and still don't.

I am a fan of the floor hi beam button.  That's about it though.  Some old vehicles I appreciate the nostalgia but get real, they were junk.  Cool junk, but junk.

Early 90's sleds on the other hand... 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Manual locking hubs, 1/4 glass windows , reg cab long box thats doesn't require special order, 

remember regular cab short box trucks?

@fortune46x 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Cat45 said:

Floor dimmer swiches and window wing vent

my first truck had a starter pedal on the floor

of all the things I've owned and foolishly parted ways with in my lifetime, that was by far my dumbest move to date. 

:bashhead:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

remember regular cab short box trucks?

@fortune46x 

my first truck had a starter pedal on the floor

of all the things I've owned and foolishly parted ways with in my lifetime, that was by far my dumbest move to date. 

:bashhead:

Never seen a starter pedal. What kinda truck was it?

For the most part, pre WWII, there was a big button to the right of the gas pedal. You put in the key, turn it to 'run' (no start option) and press the button with your toe. You could give it little gas with your heel, usually had to do that. There was no solenoid in those days, that switch in the floor carried the full current from the battery to the starter. 

If you didn't have the key, or it was off, the starter would still kick over if you pressed the button. 

There was probably a manual choke too. Pull knob out some, all the way if it's cold out. Push it in a little at a time as you drove the first few miles. 

Part of the reason there were no cup holders is that your hands were pretty busy just driving in those days. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Catalina said:

For the most part, pre WWII, there was a big button to the right of the gas pedal. You put in the key, turn it to 'run' (no start option) and press the button with your toe. You could give it little gas with your heel, usually had to do that. There was no solenoid in those days, that switch in the floor carried the full current from the battery to the starter. 

If you didn't have the key, or it was off, the starter would still kick over if you pressed the button. 

There was probably a manual choke too. Pull knob out some, all the way if it's cold out. Push it in a little at a time as you drove the first few miles. 

Part of the reason there were no cup holders is that your hands were pretty busy just driving in those days. 

That's pretty cool, I'm familiar with 60's+ cars but never been around stuff that old

1 hour ago, Catalina said:

Hard to play with your phone while driving the older iron with a hands on driving experience.

Vehicles are too easy to drive today which I feel has led to far too much distracted driving.  

Maybe they should teach student drivers in cars with three on the tree 

a fucking radio that you turned a knob for tuning and volume! These new ones SUCK!

Remember when trucks were waaaaaaay cheaper than cars? I do! reg cab 8 ft. box were the norm! none of this short box pussy shit, unless it was a Hot Rodded truck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastsleddr said:

a fucking radio that you turned a knob for tuning and volume! These new ones SUCK!

Remember when trucks were waaaaaaay cheaper than cars? I do! reg cab 8 ft. box were the norm! none of this short box pussy shit, unless it was a Hot Rodded truck!

Good one!  COST!  My god...it's out of fucking control. 

Funny thing is, we've been doing some estate sale shit here this last month.  Guys showing up with their pristine beds all rhino lined up...and bringing cardboard and carpet scraps to slide stuff in and out so not to mar up the liner.  Shit....I feel like I should be kind of embarrassed about my truck bed....sure, it's an expensive, limited, four X mall crawler also but, my bed is a fucking wreck!  Because...IT"S USED AS A GOD DAMN TRUCK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Zambroski my sister backed into the driver side doors on my 2005 1500HD a couple years back and thought I’d be pissed - I said ‘now it’s got some character to go along with the rust!!’.  A few weeks later I see a guy driving down the road with bashed in doors and thought to myself ‘that guy must have a sister too’!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

@Zambroski my sister backed into the driver side doors on my 2005 1500HD a couple years back and thought I’d be pissed - I said ‘now it’s got some character to go along with the rust!!’.  A few weeks later I see a guy driving down the road with bashed in doors and thought to myself ‘that guy must have a sister too’!

:lol: 

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked nice vehicles.  I bought an old 1500 a few years back while building my home for a work truck.  As long as it started and ran, I dodn't give a fuck what happened to it.  Kept my pup in there once during a winter day while we were framing and she ripped the shit out of the headliner and console.  I just ripped it all out and put it in the burn barrel.  LOL..."character".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Good one!  COST!  My god...it's out of fucking control. 

Funny thing is, we've been doing some estate sale shit here this last month.  Guys showing up with their pristine beds all rhino lined up...and bringing cardboard and carpet scraps to slide stuff in and out so not to mar up the liner.  Shit....I feel like I should be kind of embarrassed about my truck bed....sure, it's an expensive, limited, four X mall crawler also but, my bed is a fucking wreck!  Because...IT"S USED AS A GOD DAMN TRUCK!

Sign deliver service?

IMG_20200813_155137-scaled.jpg

50 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I don’t miss anything on my older trucks other than the ride height. The late 90’s pick ups sat a lot lower than they do now 

My lifted 90's half ton is the same size as a new Ranger midsize truck.

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I don’t miss anything on my older trucks other than the ride height. The late 90’s pick ups sat a lot lower than they do now 

That's incredibly easy to fix, the only vehicle we have that isn't lowered atm is my wifes.

For your new ride... https://www.crownsuspension.com/2019-silverado/sierra-1500/

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

That's incredibly easy to fix, the only vehicle we have that isn't lowered atm is my wifes.

For your new ride... https://www.crownsuspension.com/2019-silverado/sierra-1500/

What do you have that is lowered?  Had to lower my Escalade to go with the whipple, long tubes and other goodies.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Aside from from trucks , do any suvs have low range? I'm sure the wrangler does but what else 

Up until a few years ago, pretty much all GM’s did. I think there are a few that don’t have a two speed case now but even the 2020+ Z71 Tahoe and Suburban does. 

• Like 1

Funny thread, for a guy that’s been working on cars for 25 years now. 

I don’t miss carburetors. Even though I know how to work on them. 

I don’t miss distributors either. Especially points. 

While the newer creature comforts are not necessary I see a LOT more people that prefer them once they have had them, than not. 

The new shit really isn’t that much harder to work on, IMO. It’s just different. For instance, I’ll take changing plugs on a new Camaro over say even a 93 Camaro ANY fucking day. 

I had a brand new truck every 2-3 years from this time in 2011 until last May. I went back to a 2006 Silverado so that I could concentrate on paying our house off and building my shop at home. I miss a LOT of the features of my 2017 Silverado that I got rid of last May. Even though driving the 2006 isn’t really all that bad. But, I am also slowly adding some of the features from the newer truck to the older one as time/money allow. New vehicle tech doesn’t bother me at all but it’s my job to not let it. 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Up until a few years ago, pretty much all GM’s did. I think there are a few that don’t have a two speed case now but even the 2020+ Z71 Tahoe and Suburban does. 

The thing is most all crossovers do not have an actual transfer case and so many dealers and manufacturers call them SUVs. The term SUV has been whored to death.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Deephaven said:

What do you have that is lowered?  Had to lower my Escalade to go with the whipple, long tubes and other goodies.

currently, Tahoe, old V70R, wife's Saab was and most every performance car I've ever owned.  big fan of good suspension and brake mods going way back.

11 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Funny thread, for a guy that’s been working on cars for 25 years now. 

I don’t miss carburetors. Even though I know how to work on them. 

I don’t miss distributors either. Especially points. 

While the newer creature comforts are not necessary I see a LOT more people that prefer them once they have had them, than not. 

The new shit really isn’t that much harder to work on, IMO. It’s just different. For instance, I’ll take changing plugs on a new Camaro over say even a 93 Camaro ANY fucking day. 

I had a brand new truck every 2-3 years from this time in 2011 until last May. I went back to a 2006 Silverado so that I could concentrate on paying our house off and building my shop at home. I miss a LOT of the features of my 2017 Silverado that I got rid of last May. Even though driving the 2006 isn’t really all that bad. But, I am also slowly adding some of the features from the newer truck to the older one as time/money allow. New vehicle tech doesn’t bother me at all but it’s my job to not let it. 

I don't miss a rat's nest of vacuum hoses under the hoods.  I like the seats in my 06 Tahoe much better than everything GM has done since 2007.  

They should really bring back I tops... or T tops :lmao:

ttopcamaro1287684182-1.jpg

9 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

The thing is most all crossovers do not have an actual transfer case and so many dealers and manufacturers call them SUVs. The term SUV has been whored to death.

100% on the 'SUV' comment

The OEM domestics did a great job of convincing morons they weren't buying station wagons back in the early nineties - which is really what they are.  Personally, I love station wagons and have been sad to see most of them killed off by American manufacturers as I grew up driving them and still have one.  The CTS-V and Magnum SRT wagons were cool cars in my book.  

Drove one of these through high school, dad bought it new and I only destroyed one transmission doing Reverse to 1st drops.  Used to pack eight friends in it, a keg of beer and drive around on the lake in winter with it.  My younger brother finally destroyed it long after I was out on my own, seems a rod went through the side of the block when he accidently hit neutral at WOT while manually banging gears on the column shifter.  :lol:

4492457394_89b0b09657_b.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

currently, Tahoe, old V70R, wife's Saab was and most every performance car I've ever owned.  big fan of good suspension and brake mods going way back.

I don't miss a rat's nest of vacuum hoses under the hoods.  I like the seats in my 06 Tahoe much better than everything GM has done since 2007.  

The OEM domestics did a great job of convincing morons they weren't buying station wagons back in the early nineties - which is really what they are.  Personally, I love station wagons and have been sad to see most of them killed off by American manufacturers as I grew up driving them and still have one.  The CTS-V and Magnum SRT wagons were cool cars in my book.  

Drove one of these through high school, dad bought it new and I only destroyed one transmission doing Reverse to 1st drops.  Used to pack eight friends in it, a keg of beer and drive around on the lake in winter with it.  My younger brother finally destroyed it long after I was out on my own, seems a rod went through the side of the block when he accidently hit neutral at WOT while manually banging gears on the column shifter.  :lol:

You building a demo derby car now?

47 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The seats in my 2006 Silverado are more comfortable than the ones I had in any of my newer trucks but they don’t war as well either. 

The PTU in every GM compact/midsized utility vehicle can be shifted into/out of awd, that I can think of. Cant get the mpgs you need if it’s always in awd.