Check your account email address ×

Gasoline is becoming worthless

Gasoline is becoming worthless

You still have to pay a couple bucks for a gallon of gas (more in California, as always), but automakers are discovering that gas-powered cars may be a liability that detracts from their valuations, instead of an asset that enhances values. 

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century—are destined to become money-losers as early as 2030. “We believe the market may be ascribing zero (or even negative?) value for ICE-derived revenues at GM and Ford,” auto analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a Jan. 29 analysis. He lists a variety of factors likely to “transform what were once profit-generating assets into potentially loss-making and cash-burning businesses.” 

In late January, General Motors (GM) said it plans to stop selling vehicles with tailpipe emissions by 2035. That means GM won’t sell any gas- or diesel-powered vehicles, the types of cars that now account for nearly all GM sales and profit. That would require an all-electric fleet, powered off the electrical grid, as with most current electrics, or perhaps through on-board fuel cells powered by hydrogen. While most automakers are developing electric vehicles, GM is the first big one to commit to a full transition. 

Ford (F) hasn’t gone as far as GM, but it, too, plans an aggressive rollout of EVs to complement and replace current models. Most other automakers are doing the same. Dozens of EVs will flood the market in coming years, including a Ford F-150 pickup, the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the GMC Hummer and the Cadillac Lyriq. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gasoline-is-becoming-worthless-210636353.html

• Platinum Contributing Member

Yep they can't even keep up with demand in the middle of summer with A/C units running. Somehow they'll magically fix it all. Looks like the development of EV's that we're doing will be the easy part

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

I want to see 5 million new car owners a year plug into the grid for charging.

Come on unicorn farts... turn that turbine!

:lol:

GM is betting on it in just 14 years.

Edited by Mainecat

13 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Meanwhile, trucks continue to be the best selling vehicles across the US 

Nope!  Sorry, MC has found some satire story to wrap himself around as fact this morning.  We all need to agree.  

What a fucking clown car these twerps are.

• Haha 2

Is everyone in the world really getting to be this dumb that they allow themselves to be manipulated so easily? 

mc, do you have any idea how much diesel fuel a farmer contracts for a year?  My god, start educating yourself instead of getting manipulated by these articles.

54 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century—are destined to become money-losers as early as 2030. “We believe the market may be ascribing zero (or even negative?) value for ICE-derived revenues at GM and Ford,” auto analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a Jan. 29 analysis. He lists a variety of factors likely to “transform what were once profit-generating assets into potentially loss-making and cash-burning businesses.” 

Some social justice warriors at Morgan Stanley got together and deemed the ICE vehicles obsolete in 10 years.  Yeah, ok.  Like @Bontz pointed out, trucks and SUVs are the best selling vehicles.  They also make most of the revenue and profits.  Electric cars have a very short range to be affordable.  Ones with longer range and bigger batteries get very expensive.  A Tesla 3 with the AWD system (for snow) but base package other than that is $47,000.

These statements from auto manufacturers are just lip service to appease the current administration.  When Republicans get back in power they will roll back the CAFE standards and the cycle will continue.

@Mainecat  How many electric cars do you own?

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Is everyone in the world really getting to be this dumb that they allow themselves to be manipulated so easily? 

mc, do you have any idea how much diesel fuel a farmer contracts for a year?  My god, start educating yourself instead of getting manipulated by these articles.

Have you seen the EV farm equipment being developed. Being old has not set me back from seeing the future. Open your eyes sonny boy

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Have you seen the EV farm equipment being developed. Being old has not set me back from seeing the future. Open your eyes sonny boy

Are you barking out your ass while still useing the John Deere tractor you were so proud of several years ago? 

typical McLiar hypocrisy.

• Haha 1

There's over 100,000,000 registered vehicles (cars and trucks) in the US and over 15 million sold each year yet.  ICE's are going nowhere anytime soon.

This isn't accounting for all the OHV's including boats, UTV's, ATV's, lawn mowers etc.... 

Edited by Highmark

Wall street investment firm pumping their green energy stocks to main street so they can make a few billion in profits.....  As already mentioned the grid cannot handle an all EV world while taxpayers take it up the ass in the near term paying for a business model that only works with subsidies and meanwhile dumbshits in gubment now will crush oil exploration and make sure we are all paying $4-5 bucks a gallon for gas.  Fucking stupid just like anyone that believes this shit.  15 years to all electric, no fuckin' way.  40 or 50 years perhaps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

There's over 100,000,000 registered vehicles in the US and over 15 million sold each year yet.  ICE's are going nowhere anytime soon. 

It'll be 2050 before I would get an EV, and I'll be dead by then.  I'm not worried about all the gas stations closing, I am more concerned about our already failing power grid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Wall street investment firm pumping their green energy stocks to main street so they can make a few billion in profits.....  As already mentioned the grid cannot handle an all EV world while taxpayers take it up the ass in the near term paying for a business model that only works with subsidies and meanwhile dumbshits in gubment now will crush oil exploration and make sure we are all paying $4-5 bucks a gallon for gas.  Fucking stupid just like anyone that believes this shit.  15 years to all electric, no fuckin' way.  40 or 50 years perhaps.

Musk and the Toyota CEO who are likely the most knowledgeable men in the world when it comes to the EV business has said the same thing.   I posted an article in another thread.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Snake said:

I want to see 5 million new car owners a year plug into the grid for charging.

Come on unicorn farts... turn that turbine!

:lol:

We are good for 24 million thru 2028 according to the Trump administrations energy department.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailyenergyinsider.com/news/26546-pacific-northwest-national-laboratory-study-examines-smart-charging-strategies-for-electric-vehicles/

Edited by BOHICA

I will never put an EV charging station at my factory before I'm out of here.   You want to drive an EV to work fine but I'm not charging it.   Don't like it?   Fine go work somewhere else.  Not a big worry considering the farthest someone lives from the plant is 20 miles. :lol:  

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I will never put an EV charging station at my factory before I'm out of here.   You want to drive an EV to work fine but I'm not charging it.   Don't like it?   Fine go work somewhere else.  Not a big worry considering the farthest someone lives from the plant is 20 miles. :lol:  

Never say never

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

Never say never

I can on that one.   Everyone in my office hates EV's and drives trucks, suv's or "muscle" cars.   

50 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Mr. I'm From the Future, how many electric cars do you own?  Lots of good ones on the market already to choose from.

Asia Pushes U.S. Supertanker Port’s Oil Shipments to Record

Bloomberg) -- American oil exports from Louisiana’s offshore supertanker port jumped to a record in January as Asian buyers are stocking up U.S. crude for a post-pandemic rebound in fuel consumption.

Eight vessels set sale from the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port, the nation’s only facility that can fully load supertankers, carrying nearly 15 million barrels of crude to South Korea, China and India, according to ship-tracking data compiled by Bloomberg. That’s double the previous month’s volume and an all-time high for LOOP, as the terminal is known.