Check your account email address ×

Love my union

Well, finally had to have the union 'represent' me at work yesterday.

Something happened Wednesday night (a procedural mistake, immaterial to the point).

Boss gave a whole speech in front of the center about it. Then the steward comes up to me and says I was the guilty party.

"They wanted to give you a written warning, I talked them down to a verbal."

Walk in. Tear both management AND the union rep by showing I followed all procedures and one of the fuckups could not have been mine.

Management says, okay, that's it. No worries.

The fucking union never even asked for my story, never asked for my side. Simply negotiated a punishment and called it good.

Until you live it, don't think unions are the greatest thing ever. They will sell you down the road quick as anyone.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Something happened Wednesday night (a procedural mistake, immaterial to the point).

Boss gave a whole speech in front of the center about it. Then the steward comes up to me and says I was the guilty party.

Walk in. Tear both management AND the union rep by showing I followed all procedures and one of the fuckups could not have been mine.

The fucking union never even asked for my story, never asked for my side. Simply negotiated a punishment and called it good.

Until you live it, don't think unions are the greatest thing ever. They will sell you down the road quick as anyone.

Our union is a fucking absolute joke. The company does whatever the fuck they want and the union lays down and takes it. Don’t forget to vote for Biden and Kamella though.....because obviously they best represent the values of steelworkers

52 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Our union is a fucking absolute joke. The company does whatever the fuck they want and the union lays down and takes it. Don’t forget to vote for Biden and Kamella though.....because obviously they best represent the values of steelworkers

Ours is pretty pathetic also. But they pretty much leave me alone and let me run things the way I want. 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Without the union you would have been fired....end of story. 

Just have to know your job and be smart.

My boss has never done my job, I've got 22 years experience, I've got an answer for every fucking question.

I've been pulled in once, for someone else's fuck up. Make them look stupid and leave.

Edited by awful knawful
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Without the union you would have been fired....end of story. 

Don’t forget about those Teamster Wages....what does a Fed Ex driver make...15 bucks an hour? 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I’d be embarrassed to admit that I worked a union job. 

Id be embarrassed to work for anything less than union wage. Tells everyone you arent good enough to make the big bucks. 

Just now, Anler said:

Id be embarrassed to work for anything less than union wage. Tells everyone you arent good enough to make the big bucks. 

Union people tried numerous times to penetrate the ranks where I worked. Unfortunately the social workers workers bought into it. They’ve never stopped bitching about it. The nurses union is a damn strong org. But then again, nurses, PA’s, and APN’s can name their salaries these days. So I’m not sure if their was any real gain. 

Years ago I belonged to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace workers, the union was a joke and worthless in the shop I worked..I made more money doing similar things in a non-union shop, better benies too.

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

For those who need a union to prop them up.

I could never work for union wages.:lol:

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

For those who need a union to prop them up.

I could never work for union wages.:lol:

Well non union is usually alot less and worse or no benefits so if you like working for less dont join a union

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well non union is usually alot less and worse or no benefits so if you like working for less dont join a union

They hold the best people back, way back.

Could never let some lacky  do my talking.:lol:

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

They hold the best people back, way back.

Could never let some lacky  do my talking.:lol:

Not here. There is not one non union shop that could perform a big job around here. There are zero non union shops with enough qualified trades to do anything of any size. And the projects that have gone non union due to price are usually fucked up. In fact so fucked up some of them make the news with the disasters they have created. You get what you pay for

The last company I worked for had 3 plants that were unionized and the rest non union. We actually had quite a few perks that the union guys didn't get. We got bonuses etc and never an issue on how/when you took vacation or needed extra time off.

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

Not here. There is not one non union shop that could perform a big job around here. There are zero non union shops with enough qualified trades to do anything of any size. And the projects that have gone non union due to price are usually fucked up. In fact so fucked up some of them make the news with the disasters they have created. You get what you pay for

You are talking about public funded projects.  I worked in that field many moon ago and you could not pay me enough to stick to that horseshit.

I work with both union and non-union, specifically electricians.  How many do you think can actually read a drawing and land wires on terminals in a industrial automation field?  Very few.

Matters not whether they are union or not.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

You are talking about public funded projects.  I worked in that field many moon ago and you could not pay me enough to stick to that horseshit.

I work with both union and non-union, specifically electricians.  How many do you think can actually read a drawing and land wires on terminals in a industrial automation field?  Very few.

Matters not whether they are union or not.

No I am not talking just publicly funded projects. Trump tower was not a publicly funded project and there are zero non-union contractors around here that are qualified to do a job like that. I am not saying that unions arent a pain in the ass but for qualified trades there is no competition around here. And if you were to attempt to build something of size you would have to import enough qualified tradesmen from other states. 

Now if you are talking plant workers or mindless work then yeah, hire any rent a drunk you can find and pay them shit. But if you are building a high rise, roads and bridges, air ports, water treatment plants, etc... i wouldnt roll the dice on non-union anything, they suck bigly.