Check your account email address ×

Random Photo Thread

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Neat they don’t scatter away. Do you feed them year round? I usually throw some food out dec to Feb here and there. This year I tried to place the food near tight trees so it possibly knock some antlers off when they ate it but had no luck. 

They are comfortable with the open field to escape I guess. I feed until they stop coming. Usually they are done coming by now. Once the snow leaves its rare to see them. Then late November they start coming around again. This coming winter should be the good one since the field will be corn again. The corn scraps from harvest bring them to the field all winter. Sometimes there will be 20 or more standing out there.

I'd like to get a set of sheds. I've seen the antler fences in Youtube videos and considered trying it. I have lots of temp fence here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

They are comfortable with the open field to escape I guess. I feed until they stop coming. Usually they are done coming by now. Once the snow leaves its rare to see them. Then late November they start coming around again. This coming winter should be the good one since the field will be corn again. The corn scraps from harvest bring them to the field all winter. Sometimes there will be 20 or more standing out there.

I'd like to get a set of sheds. I've seen the antler fences in Youtube videos and considered trying it. I have lots of temp fence here.

Cow palace restaurant , derby vt. There is an elk farm out back.

cpr.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Cow palace restaurant , derby vt. There is an elk farm out back.

cpr.jpg

thats a new entryway since i was there last.    i smashed my XLT right into that elk farm fence on night.........

whipped around the corner in the lot next door coming off the trail, hit a big bump from a plow and instead of railing the corner,, i flew right straight into the fence about two feet in the air!!         :ashamed: 

• Haha 1

We hear one at night around the house. He’s been coming around once in a while for quite a few years now. Never saw him but he has a big voice.

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

We hear one at night around the house. He’s been coming around once in a while for quite a few years now. Never saw him but he has a big voice.

This little fella is STILL sitting in that little cave 25 feet from my house. My 6 month old lab was 4 feet away and it never flinched :lol:. We hear one too in the summer late at night but like you I'm sure it's bigger than this guy. 

50 minutes ago, HSR said:

This little fella is STILL sitting in that little cave 25 feet from my house. My 6 month old lab was 4 feet away and it never flinched :lol:. We hear one too in the summer late at night but like you I'm sure it's bigger than this guy. 

Very cool...

Not my photo but very cool…..

World’s oldest loons again return to Seney

From Damon McCormick of Common Coast Research & Conservation:

With Seney’s pool system finally thawing after a lingering winter, yesterday the two oldest documented Common Loons, known as ABJ and Fe (“Fay”), were confirmed as returned to the refuge. ABJ was banded during nighttime capture as a five week-old Seney chick in 1987, and thus his age is known precisely: He will turn 35 this June. In contrast, his long-term partner Fe was first color-marked in 1990 as a successful Seney mother; because the youngest age of verified Common Loon reproduction is four, Fe will be at least 36 this season.

While Fe was observed yesterday on F Pool, her long-term nesting territory with ABJ, he was feeding on an adjacent impoundment. It is likely, however, that the two will shortly recouple and undertake their record 26th consecutive year as a breeding pair. If this occurs, they will be seeking to add to their lifetime productivity of 32 hatched offspring, another record for the species. Some of these past chicks have later returned to Seney as breeding adults and subsequently acquired their own nesting territories; for example, as of last season the D Pool female, known as Z4, was a 16 year-old hatched to ABJ and Fe in 2005.

The ongoing success of the venerable F pair is set against a 45% decline to the broader refuge Common Loon population over the past decade, and a pattern of very poor chick productivity in recent years. While periodic outbreaks of type-E botulism on northern Lake Michigan are responsible for at least part of the decrease in the number of resident adults annually occupying Seney pools, a project by Common Coast is currently examining whether this decline may also be due to on-refuge factors.

Thanks to Jen Wycoff of Visitor Services, volunteers Jim and Jody Patton, and other Seney friends for collectively confirming the Easter return of ABJ and Fe.

PHOTO: The male Common Loon known as ABJ, newly returned to Seney National Wildlife Refuge from oceanic wintering grounds, feeds along the retreating ice perimeter of I Pool on April 17th. Photo by Lima Bean

1B9811B8-63A3-4EDB-A45B-655E448E28DA.thumb.jpeg.060b9d02e657d6ae463a84597edb4f13.jpeg

• Like 4

Paul Bunyan Bridge Builders spinning cable wires across the Straits of Mackinac. Like Great Lakes Folklife Center for more historical photos of Michigan and the Great Lakes.

8C8543E1-3554-479D-B26F-206689ECEFE4.thumb.jpeg.f06d08cdadc64ff8d2703d1aeafbd3cf.jpeg

• Like 5

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Paul Bunyan Bridge Builders spinning cable wires across the Straits of Mackinac. Like Great Lakes Folklife Center for more historical photos of Michigan and the Great Lakes.

8C8543E1-3554-479D-B26F-206689ECEFE4.thumb.jpeg.f06d08cdadc64ff8d2703d1aeafbd3cf.jpeg

They got some YouTube videos of the construction of that bridge. I’ve watched some of the videos on there of building Chrysler building and chopping red woods down etc. Those guys we’re crazy back then no safety shit at all.

• Like 1