Check your account email address ×

Random Photo Thread

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Nice view.  What’s your path to being a Captain? Are you anchored up and boats come to you to refuel? 

We are anchored up due to weather. We have a load for St Paul & our sister ship is up there now waiting on a weather window to sail to Dutch. We will either discharge to our sister ship when they arrive and then head home or we will head to St Paul and discharge there. No one knows yet.

I'm currently sailing as 2nd Mate/Tankerman and I have my 500ton Mate's license with my TOAR Mate endorsement. As of yesterday I have been at sea for 240 days which equates to 360 sea days for my license upgrade. If I've read the USCG rules properly I can submit this time and automatically get my 1600ton Mate's license without testing.  I am also eligible to test for my 500ton Master license. And I should also be able to test for my TOAR Master endorsement but I'm not 100% sure on that part. 

To answer your question about Captain, I would not feel comfortable sailing as master of a fuel barge/ATB without a few years sailing as a mate. There is so much to learn about handling the vessel and also developing good judgement. I have to remember than my cargo, if spilled, would be devastating to the local ecosystem and therefore caution is the better part of valor. I'll get there but not for a season or two more. Now if it were an offshore supply vessel or something like that then I would feel comfortable after 6months or so.

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

We are anchored up due to weather. We have a load for St Paul & our sister ship is up there now waiting on a weather window to sail to Dutch. We will either discharge to our sister ship when they arrive and then head home or we will head to St Paul and discharge there. No one knows yet.

I'm currently sailing as 2nd Mate/Tankerman and I have my 500ton Mate's license with my TOAR Mate endorsement. As of yesterday I have been at sea for 240 days which equates to 360 sea days for my license upgrade. If I've read the USCG rules properly I can submit this time and automatically get my 1600ton Mate's license without testing.  I am also eligible to test for my 500ton Master license. And I should also be able to test for my TOAR Master endorsement but I'm not 100% sure on that part. 

To answer your question about Captain, I would not feel comfortable sailing as master of a fuel barge/ATB without a few years sailing as a mate. There is so much to learn about handling the vessel and also developing good judgement. I have to remember than my cargo, if spilled, would be devastating to the local ecosystem and therefore caution is the better part of valor. I'll get there but not for a season or two more. Now if it were an offshore supply vessel or something like that then I would feel comfortable after 6months or so.

Cool deal and good for you.  Definitely an intriguing and adventurous career.  I’m sure the experiences and stories are endless.  

• Gold Member
30 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Cool deal and good for you.  Definitely an intriguing and adventurous career.  I’m sure the experiences and stories are endless.  

Thanks man, it's been pretty fun. Although 8months at sea in western Alaska is just too long. Next season I'm taking 4-6 weeks off.

13 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Thanks man, it's been pretty fun. Although 8months at sea in western Alaska is just too long. Next season I'm taking 4-6 weeks off.

What’s the long term work schedule look like? 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

What’s the long term work schedule look like? 

We deliver fuel to the remote villages of western Alaska, without it they die. This job will definitely be here long-term. The typical schedule is thaw to freeze but the company I work for has a history of keeping crews much later than other companies. For instance we should have been doing haul outs 4-5 weeks ago in late Oct or early November.

It has been lightly snowing here for the past several days. I've been hopping for a break in the weather to get some shots, but that hasn't happened.

Burke Mountain, VT from this afternoon.

20201208-PANO0021-Pano-2.jpg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, ckf said:

It has been lightly snowing here for the past several days. I've been hopping for a break in the weather to get some shots, but that hasn't happened.

Burke Mountain, VT from this afternoon.

20201208-PANO0021-Pano-2.jpg

Dude!! That's awesome

Hit the duce today on a rip to Niagara falls.. never even a check engine light,..💪💪💪

IMG_20201208_093909732_HDR.jpg

Edited by Rigid1
  • Like 2

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Hit the duce today on a rip to Niagara falls.. never even a check engine light,..💪💪💪

IMG_20201208_093909732_HDR.jpg

I've lived in CNY my whole life and I've never seen Niagara Falls. How pathetic is that?

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Dude!! That's awesome

Thanks Tony. Of course I had someone message me and ask if I had one like that of it's sister mountain, Jay Peak. I was planning on Jay, but the light snow never let up so I didn't want to drive an hour for nothing. Burke is only 20 minutes away.

Just now, Kivalo said:

I've lived in CNY my whole life and I've never seen Niagara Falls. How pathetic is that?

Very. That's like living in NH and never going up Mt Washington. Sad really...

15 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Dude, it's a couple hours, go, especially now,..tour busses can't run, nobody is there!! I took the kids over the summer on a weekend, not a soul

IMG_20200712_111819234.jpg

IMG_20200712_113624082_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold Member
36 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Dude, it's a couple hours, go, especially now,..tour busses can't run, nobody is there!! I took the kids over the summer on a weekend, not a soul

IMG_20200712_111819234.jpg

IMG_20200712_113624082_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Yeah I really need to do that

11 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Yeah I really need to do that

I went there when I was a little kid, probably in the 70’s. I bet it looks a lot different now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Where abouts in cny? I was born in Auburn but live in Cicero now

Cicero is CNY (central New York) I'm in Cicero too..:bc: