Check your account email address ×

Random Photo Thread

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

The wife goes out with birdseed in her hand and they'll land on her hand. They fly up to her as soon as she steps out the door. I think she's the bird whisperer lol

Chickadees and Nuthatch are both fairly tame and will take seed from your hand. :bc:

9 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

An afternoon visitor.  Pileated Woodpecker - largest in North America.  We have a couple nesting pairs close by.

550A4E92-58C4-42BC-8E6B-4C1C41BA0A2F.jpeg

D657ED79-2C05-4097-BC7D-D4CD2C5E00F6.jpeg

A23823C6-3BB0-4B6A-A895-39AF1E4EC243.jpeg

746560A3-6806-4704-8F09-3891205E3FCB.jpeg

Nice!  I've seen one here, but never gotten a good pic. I did see a cardinal here last week. That's only the second one in 7 years. Hopefully he comes back and sticks around for the winter.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

Nice!  I've seen one here, but never gotten a good pic. I did see a cardinal here last week. That's only the second one in 7 years. Hopefully he comes back and sticks around for the winter.

We have several cardinals here.  Didn’t realize they were so rare in Vermont.  

We have 7-8 woodpecker species consistently visiting the feeders.  Pileated are cool because of their size at around 18”.  You cans see how big it is compared to the suet. 

Yes, they are very large. We have Hairy and Downy woodpeckers at the feeders all the time. I need to setup a log perch under the suet feeder to get some pics. I don't think the Cardinals are rare in town as much as they are just outside of town like me. 

We have had the Pine Grosbeaks a few times. Still waiting on the purple finch and redpolls. Both have been seen in VT.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Yes, they are very large. We have Hairy and Downy woodpeckers at the feeders all the time. I need to setup a log perch under the suet feeder to get some pics. I don't think the Cardinals are rare in town as much as they are just outside of town like me. 

We have had the Pine Grosbeaks a few times. Still waiting on the purple finch and redpolls. Both have been seen in VT.

Our favorite but by far rarest bird is the Indigo Bunting.  Maybe see one 3-4 times/year.  

I was in a store last week with a great selection of poles and Shepard hooks so I’m going to upgrade our feeding stations in the spring.  I have too many fat squirrels and semi-tame deer :lol:

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Our favorite but by far rarest bird is the Indigo Bunting.  Maybe see one 3-4 times/year.  

I was in a store last week with a great selection of poles and Shepard hooks so I’m going to upgrade our feeding stations in the spring.  I have too many fat squirrels and semi-tame deer :lol:

Mine is the redpoll. They only come down when the seed crop is bad in northern Canada. I think I have seen them once since we moved here 7 years ago.

I use chili powder in my black oil sunflower seed to keep the squirrels away. Birds can't taste it but the squirrels and chipmunks can,. LOL

9 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

This is at our cottage this past spring/summer, we had a good bird year. We had 4 different indigo buntings and also a first, a red headed woodpecker.4443F8DA-44B0-4D31-9CC9-14C624D3DBB3.thumb.jpeg.6c05075976614f07d01fa30a83603617.jpegD332CF00-1EF0-4BA9-B481-294F536AF028.thumb.jpeg.dcf1215ecae7be94092f4c724269c80a.jpeg803D068A-04DE-4B00-95D2-17483FA3F384.thumb.jpeg.9bd83e0b79acb2dcfd3171a497f6a11b.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Mine is the redpoll. They only come down when the seed crop is bad in northern Canada. I think I have seen them once since we moved here 7 years ago.

I use chili powder in my black oil sunflower seed to keep the squirrels away. Birds can't taste it but the squirrels and chipmunks can,. LOL

I might have to try that.  I do shoot a few now and then :lol:

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

I might have to try that.  I do shoot a few now and then :lol:

Feed stores sell it as squirrel away. It's much cheaper at the supermarket. It seems to stick well the the seed husk of black oil sunflower seed. I've saved way more than the $5 that I've spent so far on the powder. Damn chipmunks would be good for a 40lb bag all by themselves every fall :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, smokin george said:

The boat needed some TLC and the swim platform was in real rough shape. My buddy did a pretty good job bringing the platform back to life

20201113_123439.jpg

20201120_124434.jpg

Looks good George!👍🏼

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Mpg isn't terrible when driving slow to make sure my daughter was within 20 minutes of me.  Ford dream o meter is a bit high. Hand calc was 19.2

I had a 14.9 run on my way out there. Huge difference between 70-75and 85ish cruise

PXL_20201121_183321781.jpg

Little Debbie's all over the steering column

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

fuckers destroyed a bunch of my trim.  they do let you know when your woods starting to rot so I guess theres a positive

Partially correct.

They are doing 1 of 3 things, depending on the damage - searching for food, sounding their territory, or nesting.

Hole in the house is obviously nesting.

Small pecks here and there is either searching for food or sounding their territory (they are very territorial).

Individual boards that are completely destroyed = digging for food.

The fuckers made the north side of our home their mansion.  

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Having owned a cedar sided house, I hate woodpeckers with a burning passion.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

fuckers destroyed a bunch of my trim.  they do let you know when your woods starting to rot so I guess theres a positive

I agree.  They can be a pain.  Usually go after the trim.  Plus they drive the dogs crazy 😀

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Partially correct.

They are doing 1 of 3 things, depending on the damage - searching for food, sounding their territory, or nesting.

Hole in the house is obviously nesting.

Small pecks here and there is either searching for food or sounding their territory (they are very territorial).

Individual boards that are completely destroyed = digging for food.

The fuckers made the north side of our home their mansion.  

Our woodpecker wholes are minimal and almost exclusively in the trim