Check your account email address ×

Will your favorite restaurant or watering hole survive?

ckf

I don't see many restaurants in tourist areas surviving this. When they are allowed to open it will probably be at 50% or less capacity.  If that goes on through the summer they won't be able to make enough to survive. 

My buddy owns a bar in northern wi (pelican lake) Seating at the bar for 20?  Tables for another 20?   Serves some food but nothing fancy.  He's shut down, obviously.  Applied for a small biz loan and got nothing.  Miller, coors and bud all came in to get his beer stock and each gave him a 500$ credit.  They needed the beer for big stores and also didnt want it to go bad between now and when he could open again.  Has 1 employee on the payroll thats collecting unemployment. The others he paid in cash.  Costs him 3000$ a month to be closed and 6K a month when he's open. He had a good winter season due to great snow (hes on the trail) but that got eaten up soon after. He's sold all sorts of stuff to make his payments and only has a small reserve left.  He hope he makes it but the damage done will be tough to recover from. 

• Sad 1

Take out won’t pay the bills.

Even at 50% the loss of 50% of liquor sales will doom a restaurant fast.

When a martini is 10-12 dollars the profit margins are higher than the dinner you ordered.

Edited by Mainecat

Any business that thinks it is going to be business as usual right after this , is fooling themselves.  In one way or another we will all be effected.   I know a lot of people who are thinking it is going to be like a light switch back to normality. 

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Mine will. They have been doing a lot of take out, and for a select few of us that qualify they run a speak easy in the back. :true:

One of my buds told me his guy leaves the back door open for a few select locals. Other than that he’s closed lol.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jammin said:

My buddy owns a bar in northern wi (pelican lake) Seating at the bar for 20?  Tables for another 20?   Serves some food but nothing fancy.  He's shut down, obviously.  Applied for a small biz loan and got nothing.  Miller, coors and bud all came in to get his beer stock and each gave him a 500$ credit.  They needed the beer for big stores and also didnt want it to go bad between now and when he could open again.  Has 1 employee on the payroll thats collecting unemployment. The others he paid in cash.  Costs him 3000$ a month to be closed and 6K a month when he's open. He had a good winter season due to great snow (hes on the trail) but that got eaten up soon after. He's sold all sorts of stuff to make his payments and only has a small reserve left.  He hope he makes it but the damage done will be tough to recover from. 

Unless he has a big local business alot of those bars are closed this time of year anyway until summer stuff starts kicking off. thats a hard business to be in up there. 

Most of the restaurants here in town are closed right now because of the virus.  The pizza joint is back to doing takeout on the weekends.  Honestly it's probably a blessing for the other 3 places to be closed during the off season. There's only 1200 residents and I doubt that is enough to support 4 restaurants. 

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You gonna go for 45,500+ today Lardy the Loser? 

project runway crying GIF

That reminded me to look at the numbers..  unless the server craps out we will hit a million posts today.  

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Unless he has a big local business alot of those bars are closed this time of year anyway until summer stuff starts kicking off. thats a hard business to be in up there. 

Local is decent but rely's on winter and seasonal owners for bigger money. He chose not to serve 10-15$ meals cuz he makes little on that. He needs butts in seats drinking. The 3 bars around him closed like you said from end of March until mid April but my bud didnt.  He stayed open while the others vacationed / took time off and picked up all that business for 6 weeks.  You can own the building, business, inventory, a new 2 .5 car garage, a new 2nd floor 2 BR living quarter for 150K if you are interested. 

Just now, jammin said:

Local is decent but rely's on winter and seasonal owners for bigger money. He chose not to serve 10-15$ meals cuz he makes little on that. He needs butts in seats drinking. The 3 bars around him closed like you said from end of March until mid April but my bud didnt.  He stayed open while the others vacationed / took time off and picked up all that business for 6 weeks.  You can own the building, business, inventory, a new 2 .5 car garage, a new 2nd floor 2 BR living quarter for 150K if you are interested. 

Send me a link... :news: 

13 minutes ago, ckf said:

That reminded me to look at the numbers..  unless the server craps out we will hit a million posts today.  

And @Zambroski is to thank with near 100k posts.  He's the new Webba but less tough and funny 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Iowa is allowing take out drink sales in bars who serve food.   When ordering take out I order a 12 pack with it.

Many won't survive.   I agree that this is a slow time up north so some might get thru with the past 2 good sledding seasons.   Won't take long in the spring fishing and summer vaca season being closed to make someone go under.

We got a letter stating we should not go to our cabin until May 26th.   That means no rentals as well.   No rentals means dramatically reduced bar business for the fishing opener.  

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/travel.htm

Might be some cheap properties come up if this goes thru the summer and someone can't make payments because no rental income. 

Edited by Highmark

Our towns all doing take-out and every night the lines are long, I think they will do just fine.  There are a few that have larger banquet facilities that are probably going to hurt on the tax front if they don't get some property tax relief.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Iowa is allowing take out drink sales in bars who serve food.   When ordering take out I order a 12 pack with it.

Many won't survive.   I agree that this is a slow time up north so some might get thru with the past 2 good sledding seasons.   Won't take long in the spring fishing and summer vaca season being closed to make someone go under.

We got a letter stating we should not go to our cabin until May 26th.   That means no rentals as well.   No rentals means dramatically reduced bar business for the fishing opener.  

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/travel.htm

Might be some cheap properties come up if this goes thru the summer and someone can't make payments because no rental income. 

I expect most of the in our area will not survive. I hope my favorite survives. They're open from Memorial Day weekend to mid October. With Baxter State Park shut down until July 1 that's going to really hurt them.  

Our town has some pretty good restaurants that do well even though it's a tourist town. The locals keep them going and when the boaters, sledders, atvs roll thru they get a big boost. They're all open for takeout and how long they can sustain that will remain to be seen. There's a new mini brew by the locks that they spent a fortune on and unless they have deep pockets I can't see surviving as they just opened not long ago.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, T1R9sledder said:

I expect most of the in our area will not survive. I hope my favorite survives. They're open from Memorial Day weekend to mid October. With Baxter State Park shut down until July 1 that's going to really hurt them.  

Really hope my favorites in the Vilas county area make it.   Unlikely since I have about 15-20 favorites. :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Take out won’t pay the bills.

Even at 50% the loss of 50% of liquor sales will doom a restaurant fast.

When a martini is 10-12 dollars the profit margins are higher than the dinner you ordered.

its why they pushed here to allow to go beer and wine sales to help some.  That must have pissed off the grocery and convenience stores.  

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Any business that thinks it is going to be business as usual right after this , is fooling themselves.  In one way or another we will all be effected.   I know a lot of people who are thinking it is going to be like a light switch back to normality. 

Yep.  Some will not be able to return and others just won’t right off the bat.  It’s gonna take some time to recover.

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

Eeyore GIF by memecandy

:lol:

1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

You gonna go for 45,500+ today Lardy the Loser? 

project runway crying GIF

:lol:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Well, that’s outstanding!  How many “fingers” have been given out?  :lol:

47 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

And @Zambroski is to thank with near 100k posts.  He's the new Webba but less tough and funny 

*yawn

My friend owns 6 or 7 restaurants in Wisconsin. I haven’t talked to him in awhile. I imagine it’s difficult, but he’ll weather it. I watched him build it up from nothing and really struggle in the process. He’s a problem solver.