Check your account email address ×

Will your favorite restaurant or watering hole survive?

ckf

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My friend owns 6 or 7 restaurants in Wisconsin. I haven’t talked to him in awhile. I imagine it’s difficult, but he’ll weather it. I watched him build it up from nothing and really struggle in the process. He’s a problem solver. 

i think the chances of people with that number of restaurants having them all survive is thin.  Usually when they start expanding they leverage to get the next one going and when the shit hits the fan they sink each other.   

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i think the chances of people with that number of restaurants having them all survive is thin.  Usually when they start expanding they leverage to get the next one going and when the shit hits the fan they sink each other.   

He built them over a 25 year period. He might shut a  couple down, but he’s well diversified into other stuff 

i see a lot shutting down soon .

most of them don't make that much money to start with .

as far as say MN resorts if they cant open by fishing open they are totally fucked along with all the bar and food and pretty much every biz around them .

I was talking with a bud who contracts around my cabin this weekend and he is just as slammed as before this went down only 2 dropped contracts and 1 was a local bar 2 bathroom facelift gig . at least the local establishments around my cabin  had a way better than average snow season to help cushion the blow.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Anyone who wants to open a bar, pub or restaurant is out of their mind. 

Just drive down the highway and toss your cash out the window.

Always wanted to own one and my accountant begs me every single year not to.   He said if you can't know every single detail of what is going on the employee's will rob you blind.   Sad that happens so often in that business.   

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

i see a lot shutting down soon .

most of them don't make that much money to start with .

as far as say MN resorts if they cant open by fishing open they are totally fucked along with all the bar and food and pretty much every biz around them .

I was talking with a bud who contracts around my cabin this weekend and he is just as slammed as before this went down only 2 dropped contracts and 1 was a local bar 2 bathroom facelift gig . at least the local establishments around my cabin  had a way better than average snow season to help cushion the blow.  

The money in these restaurant/bars is made on alcohol sales.  That’s what keeps them balancing in the black.  That’s been taken away.  Many up here have just stopped the whole “order in/pick up/delivery” deal.  It’s just not worth it.  This is a high tourism area run by liberal retards that have just put this area into an even worse financial spot.  Can’t even get our glorious mayor to appear on film and answer questions.  Cancelled the Grandmas marathon not scheduled until end of June.  LOL!  Death blow.

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Always wanted to own one and my accountant begs me every single year not to.   He said if you can't know every single detail of what is going on the employee's will rob you blind.   Sad that happens so often in that business.   

Listen to your accountant....just buy a big boat if you want headaches and money losses.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  Some will not be able to return and others just won’t right off the bat.  It’s gonna take some time to recover.

:lol:

:lol:

There are just so many unforeseen issues you don’t even realize.  

I wonder how  gun ho a work force that was making 15- 20 dollars an hour, now making 23 staying home is going to be about going back to work? :dunno:

Just now, Zambroski said:

Listen to your accountant....just buy a big boat if you want headaches and money losses.

Check.   Already got that taken care of.  :lol:  I've been a boater since 1997 and I can say I've really enjoyed every one I've owned.   

Just now, Cold War said:

I wonder how  gun ho a work force that was making 15- 20 dollars an hour, now making 23 staying home is going to be about going back to work? :dunno:

$27.78/hr in Iowa with full unemployment.   

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

truth.  Hard business with employees.  You need to be there all the time or you are going to get robbed by your employees. 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

It’s funny you mention that.  I just heard somebody mention that for the first time yesterday that their employees were making more money than when they were working.  It’s NO WONDER they want to keep this thing going.  I thought unemployment was only supposed to cover about half of somebody’s pay but now, with all the extra kick-ins, they’re money ahead?  Sweet fuck!  How did we let this happen?????  Entitlements are hard to take back.

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

one of my cuz ownes a bunch of jimmy johns 

over 3/4 of his stores won't take cash . all have cams but I notice the ones who take cash have a few more on the register 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

one of my cuz ownes a bunch of jimmy johns 

over 3/4 of his stores won't take cash . all have cams but I notice the ones who take cash have a few more on the register 

I suppose any cash business would have its issues.  

Watched a documentary on a bar in a spring break area of Mexico.   They had everything monitored and connected to the till.   All the hard liq bottles had measuring tips on them.   The coolers had scanning methods of knowing exactly what went in and out and tracked against the register as well.   End of the night if the register's didn't match with what was poured and taken from the  coolers it came out of the bartenders wages at those registers.   It was crazy.  

Edited by Highmark

31 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

He built them over a 25 year period. He might shut a  couple down, but he’s well diversified into other stuff 

They aren't worth much when they are running full steam ahead.  They are really struggling now and need whatever customers they can get to stay afloat.

locally it should be alright as everyone drinks beer and vendors are open and we have a very thirsty area.

many restaurants are now offering beer with takeout meals. 

the odd place shouldn't have survived pre shutdown so I doubt they will open again but who knows.  Weirder things happen.

• Advertising Member

This shutdown will cost me 50k at least....and we are small fish really.  Ill survive, but I'll bet that 50-60% die off.  In some ways it will be a cleansing like what we saw in 2008-2009 and the strong "may" survive.  Its going to be a different world and luckily for us we started the BBQ and rub end of things as that is carrying us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

This shutdown will cost me 50k at least....and we are small fish really.  Ill survive, but I'll bet that 50-60% die off.  In some ways it will be a cleansing like what we saw in 2008-2009 and the strong "may" survive.  Its going to be a different world and luckily for us we started the BBQ and rub end of things as that is carrying us.

I noticed the online store traffic and orders have picked up when I was updating last night. :bc:

• Like 2

My buddy that has the detailing shop is taking a shit kicking as far as detailing goes. He's only allowed to sanitize vehicles as far as that goes so it's sanitizing it is. He just bought an enclosed and a bunch of equipment/chemicals/cleaners etc and has gone mobile. He has been contracted to do 200 company vehicles for an outfit and sees a light at the end of the tunnel till things turn around

• Like 2

• Advertising Member
4 minutes ago, ckf said:

I noticed the online store traffic and orders have picked up when I was updating last night. :bc:

For sure.  I have a local store that is closing in on 1,000 bottles for just this year, another sold out of bbq in 2 days (farm mkt).....so the stores that are open are killing it so far.  Gambling on the spices was a very risky thing to do at the time, so lets hope that pays off, because that was about a $23,000 risk I didn't have to take.

Edited by Seatofmypants
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jammin said:

My buddy owns a bar in northern wi (pelican lake) Seating at the bar for 20?  Tables for another 20?   Serves some food but nothing fancy.  He's shut down, obviously.  Applied for a small biz loan and got nothing.  Miller, coors and bud all came in to get his beer stock and each gave him a 500$ credit.  They needed the beer for big stores and also didnt want it to go bad between now and when he could open again.  Has 1 employee on the payroll thats collecting unemployment. The others he paid in cash.  Costs him 3000$ a month to be closed and 6K a month when he's open. He had a good winter season due to great snow (hes on the trail) but that got eaten up soon after. He's sold all sorts of stuff to make his payments and only has a small reserve left.  He hope he makes it but the damage done will be tough to recover from. 

Roadside Pub?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jammin said:

Local is decent but rely's on winter and seasonal owners for bigger money. He chose not to serve 10-15$ meals cuz he makes little on that. He needs butts in seats drinking. The 3 bars around him closed like you said from end of March until mid April but my bud didnt.  He stayed open while the others vacationed / took time off and picked up all that business for 6 weeks.  You can own the building, business, inventory, a new 2 .5 car garage, a new 2nd floor 2 BR living quarter for 150K if you are interested. 

Ah yeah, that's Roadside. We stop there often in summer while atving. He's a good shit.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

For sure.  I have a local store that is closing in on 1,000 bottles for just this year, another sold out of bbq in 2 days (farm mkt).....so the stores that are open are killing it so far.  Gambling on the spices was a very risky thing to do at the time, so lets hope that pays off, because that was about a $23,000 risk I didn't have to take.

If your rubs are half as good as your sauces you will kill it this summer  :yahoo:

• Thanks 1

• Advertising Member
Just now, ckf said:

If your rubs are half as good as your sauces you will kill it this summer  :yahoo:

They are strong, but the issue with them is they aren't pedigreed like the sauces were.  I could walk in anywhere and say that Comp won the 2018 Jack.....can never take that away.  The rubs are different in that everyone can blend a few spices, salt, and sugar together and whammo....."taste this incredible, one of a kind rub!!!" I'm skeptical just because I thought there was no way the BBQ would take off.. and luckily I was wrong.  We will see, they are a great product, but they have some stiff competition.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

The money in these restaurant/bars is made on alcohol sales.  That’s what keeps them balancing in the black.  That’s been taken away.  Many up here have just stopped the whole “order in/pick up/delivery” deal.  It’s just not worth it.  This is a high tourism area run by liberal retards that have just put this area into an even worse financial spot.  Can’t even get our glorious mayor to appear on film and answer questions.  Cancelled the Grandmas marathon not scheduled until end of June.  LOL!  Death blow.

With the exception of Thanksgiving weekend, Why would Duluth attract tourists?  I’ve been there a few times. Not that much to see.