Check your account email address ×

Brutal Frost Heaves East Conway, NH

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I hit one like that on US 41 near Lake Michigamme last week with a loaded 4 place enclosed.......FUCK!!!

Loaded with cats?

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

It’s frost heave time...

I can't believe the fucktards didn't put up signage on that. 

They will be lucky if someone doesn't get killed there. 

We have a few of those in the outskirts of town around here....most of us know where they are.  I couldn't imagine hitting one at speed.  The city could fix them but, the homeless needed new cots, fresh pillows and hot chocolate so......

The looks like 33 road south of Caddy. It’s hard to keep the truck straight going 55 when it’s dry. Throw in some snow and ice and it’s a bit scary.

Our camp in Dennis Town Maine is less than 10 miles from the Quebec border, on a section of road voted the worst in the state.  At least 5 miles of that kind of shit.  Webba was up a couple weeks ago in his new Raptor and was blistering the section.  :lol: 

Curious, does this have anything to do with how the roads/gravel/dirt were applied before this road was paved? If this were normal, wouldn't all roads around the country, including ours and other countries that seen normal cold winters do this as well? Is that a swampy/wet area during the off season? I'm sure I've encountered areas somewhat over the years up here but nothing close to that that I can recall? 

48 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

There are signs everywhere. They all say Frost Heaves not Holy Shit Huge Frost Heaves.

We have a few "frost heave ahead" signs here in Vermont. Most just say  BUMP.

6 minutes ago, irv said:

Curious, does this have anything to do with how the roads/gravel/dirt were applied before this road was paved? If this were normal, wouldn't all roads around the country, including ours and other countries that seen normal cold winters do this as well? Is that a swampy/wet area during the off season? I'm sure I've encountered areas somewhat over the years up here but nothing close to that that I can recall? 

No, it's not a wet area. The road base just sucks.  Instead of fixing it the right way,  they just repave it every once in a while  

I was just reading a FB post from a lifelong friend on FB this morning. He has an auto repair business about a half mile from the south end of East Conway road.  He said the road was great for his alignment business,  lol

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, irv said:

It's a combination of everything from road building,cost savings and water drainage. If they cheap out in wet areas and don't get the compaction and drainage right the roads frost and heave as the weather changes. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

We have a few "frost heave ahead" signs here in Vermont. Most just say  BUMP.

No, it's not a wet area. The road base just sucks.  Instead of fixing it the right way,  they just repave it every once in a while  

I was just reading a FB post from a lifelong friend on FB this morning. He has an auto repair business about a half mile from the south end of East Conway road.  He said the road was great for his alignment business,  lol

Many years ago Maine would use “Hump” signs. They stopped because they would all disappear and end up in dorm rooms.

• Haha 1