Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, irv said:

Thanks. :bc: 

My big concern is my furnace, fridges and freezer. I figured once one appliance ran a cycle I would just unplug it and run the extension cord to another and repeat but if I go with XCR's suggestion, then there will be no need for that. I'll just make sure to have any non essential things off then listen/watch. 

I am hoping this works out as I can now forget about spending some big bucks on home size standby genny. 

Should. Shut fridge and freezer off. Get the house a couple degrees warmer then ya want. Then kill the furnace breaker or red switch and put the others on. When house cools, rinse , repeat.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

My big concern is my furnace, fridges and freezer. I figured once one appliance ran a cycle I would just unplug it and run the extension cord to another and repeat but if I go with XCR's suggestion, then there will be no need for that. I'll just make sure to have any non essential things off then listen/watch. 

I am hoping this works out as I can now forget about spending some big bucks on home size standby genny. 

Cheapest is direct

second is the back feed

most expensive is electrician-wired switch of some type

How far is your gen from the dryer plug???

That gen will run EVERYTHING he's got at the same time. Furnace, fridge and heater are not big WATTAGE.

I tested my little 1200 watt two-stroke gen, and it ran a big fan, an electric drill and a trouble light ( 120 ) volt 100 watt, all at the same time. I couldn't knock the little fukker out!!!   

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

You will also need an adapter to go from 230v cord  , to dryer outlet.

Thanks. :bc: I still think I'll call my buddy who I use to work with who is a control tech/electrician just in case rules/codes are different up here? I know my wife would be more comfortable as well if I had him here explaining/doing things for us. 

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

Cheapest is direct

second is the back feed

most expensive is electrician-wired switch of some type

How far is your gen from the dryer plug???

Likely 15 feet give or take? I'll set the genny basically outside on our back patio where the old dryer vent hole is like I did with the one I borrowed. The dryer plug is just inside there but is now located on another wall but still in the same laundry room. 

Just now, irv said:

Thanks. :bc: I still think I'll call my buddy who I use to work with who is a control tech/electrician just in case rules/codes are different up here? I know my wife would be more comfortable as well if I had him here explaining/doing things for us. 

Backfeeding the dryer vent is as illegal as shit. It is that way because the Average American is a stupid prick. When one dosnt kill the main breaker it ends juice up the wire till it either hits the break in the wire ( if wire is on your property) or the fuse at the pole.

He will prolly tell you " it,s illegal , but everyone does it. It's kinda like speeding.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, irv said:

Likely 15 feet give or take? I'll set the genny basically outside on our back patio where the old dryer vent hole is like I did with the one I borrowed. The dryer plug is just inside there but is now located on another wall but still in the same laundry room. 

OK, just be aware that those heavy cables cost a few bucks, and you may need a plug or two. No big deal. 

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Backfeeding the dryer vent is as illegal as shit. It is that way because the Average American is a stupid prick. When one dosnt kill the main breaker it ends juice up the wire till it either hits the break in the wire ( if wire is on your property) or the fuse at the pole.

He will prolly tell you " it,s illegal , but everyone does it. It's kinda like speeding.

I didn't know that but it makes sense now how XCR was stressing to shut the main breaker off.

My friend may not now then?? I know I asked him to hook me a up switch for my furnace before and he refused. He's the smartest/most knowledgeable guy I know but he can be  a little odd/different at times. Even if I promise/ensure him that I'll shut of the breaker, he still might not want to help me out?  

Thanks for the info. That goes to XCR and Polaris as well.

I appreciate the help guys! :bc:

16 minutes ago, irv said:

I didn't know that but it makes sense now how XCR was stressing to shut the main breaker off.

My friend may not now then?? I know I asked him to hook me a up switch for my furnace before and he refused. He's the smartest/most knowledgeable guy I know but he can be  a little odd/different at times. Even if I promise/ensure him that I'll shut of the breaker, he still might not want to help me out?  

Get some estimates from a electrician for a transfer switch. 

They also have a new switch-box out, goes right onto your electric meter. Plug your gen right into it. 

Look up the new GENERLINK system. $650.00 from Home Depot. Goes right onto the electric meter, all legal, easy install, runs ALL CIRCUITS in the house. Nice system. 

Look it up!!!!!!!  

If they had it 21 years ago when I put mine in, that's what I would have gotten!!!!! 

GenerLink, it's a beautiful thing. 

8 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

George can fill you in more on those questions but as far as loudness goes, around the same as a good size mower.

I just have a very nosey and annoying neighbor that bitches about everything.

They still hang out their laundry to dry and give me shit for having my cars idle for any length of time if that gives you any indication of what these people are like

I had one of those a 6.5 foot solid privacy fence from back line to street and a get the fuck out of my yard fixed that for good 

12 hours ago, Skeeter21i said:

Need to install a standby generator,  the portable unit just won't cut it anymore. Am being quoted for either a Generac or  a Cummins unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad with either. Pricing is similar between the 2. Generac is 16kw, Cummins is 17kw

Milbank makes the nicest standby units I have seen. Kohler also has some really nice units..Generac....ehhhhh..its the box store generator...The Cummins/Onan is good but you will pay out the ass for service and parts..

7 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Look up the new GENERLINK system. $650.00 from Home Depot. Goes right onto the electric meter, all legal, easy install, runs ALL CIRCUITS in the house. Nice system. 

Look it up!!!!!!!  

If they had it 21 years ago when I put mine in, that's what I would have gotten!!!!! 

GenerLink, it's a beautiful thing. 

This.

7 hours ago, irv said:

The Gen should have came with the plug that goes into the 220/240 inlet in the Gen, it twists in, perhaps 1/4 turn only or less.

I've been running the Gen I have now Gen and a previous one (Sears) into the Dryer inlet since 1966 in 2 different homes, 100's of times never ever had any issues, just be sure to turn off the main breaker as stated previously. Even had the Gen running non-stop 24 hrs. a day for 5 days some years ago when we had a Tornado and all the Power lines were down that long.

PM me for more info if needed or we can talk by phone.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Skeeter21i said:

Need to install a standby generator,  the portable unit just won't cut it anymore. Am being quoted for either a Generac or  a Cummins unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad with either. Pricing is similar between the 2. Generac is 16kw, Cummins is 17kw

Generac makes a good unit, I have a Kohler and knock on wood it's been bulletproof since 2001.

If your going wholehouse just get a 20KW unit and be done with it :bc:

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Generac makes a good unit, I have a Kohler and knock on wood it's been bulletproof since 2001.

If your going wholehouse just get a 20KW unit and be done with it :bc:

Yep,nothing like having every light on in the house,while your neighbors have three candles.:lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irv said:

Do the job right and get a standby unit, unless you only worry about that stuff when you're at home.

8 hours ago, irv said:

WTF! The dryer plug............Jesus dude you're an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by Mileage Psycho
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Because it dangerous and completely idiotic.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

How so? 

Only if you don't turn off the Main breaker..

It’s the way it feeds the panel. It’s will be uneven power in the panel. The Buss bar for the dryer breaker will get hot. 

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It’s the way it feeds the panel. It’s will be uneven power in the panel. The Buss bar for the dryer breaker will get hot. 

Mine never does...I've let it run for many hours, when I shut it down I always check for heat, nothing unusual🤨

Square D That I put in here, house used to have 4 fuses-60 amp, I climbed the pole and cut off the 3 seperate wires, went much larger Tri-Plex, then a weatherhead and staff..I've had many classes in wiring both above and below ground..

Edited by XCR1250

Just now, Woodtick said:

WTF do I know, I'm only a licensed Supervising Electrician in the jusrisdiction that has the toughest licensing test in the country :news:

Who gives a fuck about an unbalanced load........ :lol: