Check your account email address ×

Meme thread

I still have all of my old vinyl and can't decide what to do with them. I'm guessing there are 200+.

60's, 70's, 80's rock, country and some pop. I'm thinking about packaging them all up with my Techniques turn table on craig's list or ebay to see what I can get. I think my Harmen Kardin receiver is down there too but it's been dead for 30 years.

• Like 1

• Replies 39.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SSFB

• motonoggin

• Anler

• awful knawful

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

OUCH!! And to think I traded about 5 or 6 Kiss albums for practically next to nothing way back. :wall:

Is there a site/place where one can see what some of these old albums are going for? Luckily I didn't get rid of all them. 

Its all about the art work and limited releases and stuff like that, kind of like books and first editions. Say a record company releases an album and it sells big so they do a second run but change the album art, or maybe they change the art for a European release. The first run sleeves are the ones the collectors want.  Shit like that.

My buddy has become a professional auction hunter/picker. He doesn't know everything about everything but he's met people who know and they guide each other when they find stuff. At this particular auction, he met a guy there that he had seen buy albums at another auction. That guy gave him $140 for one of the albums in the box and educated him on some of the others.

I have no interest but for some people its a big connection to their youth and that's really what we all want back....lol

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Its all about the art work and limited releases and stuff like that, kind of like books and first editions. Say a record company releases an album and it sells big so they do a second run but change the album art, or maybe they change the art for a European release. The first run sleeves are the ones the collectors want.  Shit like that.

My buddy has become a professional auction hunter/picker. He doesn't know everything about everything but he's met people who know and they guide each other when they find stuff. At this particular auction, he met a guy there that he had seen buy albums at another auction. That guy gave him $140 for one of the albums in the box and educated him on some of the others.

I have no interest but for some people its a big connection to their youth and that's really what we all want back....lol

Interesting.

Thanks, Tim. I am hoping, now that I have time, to get out to a few auctions/yard sales/flea markets and the like to see what is out there. I still collect baseball and hockey cards but most of my collecting has been through ebay. Like most collectors, I am hoping to hit pay dirt sometime but I know I need to get out there and learn/look around for that to happen.

I have quite a few albums still kicking around so someday I'll have to look them up to see if any have any value? I've read a bit where some old video games/consoles and the like sometimes fetches decent bucks so I also need to look into that further to see if my son has any of value? Seems real early for any of that stuff to have value but I guess the market says otherwise.

Thanks for the info.:bc:

A good portion of my albums have only been played once. I recorded it to cassette and used the cassette. The album is in a sealed plastic liner and the album cover is in a heavy vinly case.

album.thumb.jpg.44c2bb27d24a671d958b1595f6524c14.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snake said:

First time in my life I heard Back in Black was on an 8 track.

X2.  You know what is fucked up? I first heard Aerosmith when I was in high school. Fuck I’m 61 years old now and they’re still performing. :lol: 

The coolest thing about albums (vinyl) was the art that went on them. You just dont get that anymore. Everything is a single now, nobody makes an "album" 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Anler said:

The coolest thing about albums (vinyl) was the art that went on them. You just dont get that anymore. Everything is a single now, nobody makes an "album" 

True but on the bright side you dont have to buy an entire album to get one track. Hell you dont have to buy any album anymore.  :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Anler said:

My brother had this album when I was a kid and it came with a rolling paper inside...scandalous!!  🤣

B20C4228-B944-4BA6-8179-BB618B269B42.jpeg.509e6f5581e79ef979bece9e9f5eb79f.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

True but on the bright side you dont have to buy an entire album to get one track. Hell you dont have to buy any album anymore.  :bc:

I know :bc: 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My brother had this album when I was a kid and it came with a rolling paper inside...scandalous!!  🤣

B20C4228-B944-4BA6-8179-BB618B269B42.jpeg.509e6f5581e79ef979bece9e9f5eb79f.jpeg

Wasnt it like a giant rolling paper? I remember being at a party and a couple of the neighborhood weed dealers rolled up a quarter pound into a joint. I think it was the rolling paper inside that album. Anyway that joint got so clogged up with resin it didnt make it half way. So i heard... :news:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ckf said:

I wish I did. I never gave them a second thought after I switched to CD's :sad:

I still have well over 1000 albums - I think a few over 1300 to be exact.  All are in mint condition and protected by a heavy plastic cover.  Many of my favorite albums themselves are protected by those special anti-static covers.  I probably have 50 Japanese albums pressings.  I also have about 100 45's too.  I've never thought about selling them.  Probably could get some good coin if I knew where to do it.  Haven't listened to them in ages - largely because by toddler (at the time) grabbed my turntable by the tonearm and broke they stylus off the cartridge.  That was a $3500 cartridge :wall: that I didn't feel like replacing and still haven't.  This occurred about 12 years ago.  I have a shit ton of good stuff.

• Like 3