Check your account email address ×

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

yeah we export like 98% of what we mine and what we do mine is a fraction of what we used to. I believe Russia is that largest exporter in the world IIRC. 

I have actually seen a brochure from a Canadian mining company about how certain types of asbestos arent that dangerous. Trying to reintroduce it to the marketplace. This was probably 10 years ago. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Being in the asbestos business for 30 years now, not all asbestos is necessarily dangerous and its only dangerous if you breath the microscopic fibers for long periods of time. Just about every house or building built before 1980 has or had asbestos in some form in it. We were all exposed to it our whole lives and still are. It was and is in everything. 

Why? because it is a fantastic product for what it is used for. Its chemically resistant, fireproof, non-corrosive, super strong. And the reality is they have not found suitable replacement for it in some extreme applications. One could argue its a life safety issue in some instances where its heat and fire resistance is unmatched. I know first hand that the EPA lifted the ban years ago for certain items for that reason. 

So before you sissy faggots get all panicky you should educate yourselves a little bit on the subject. 

No need for edumuhkashun MC says fuck trump so case closed.

1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

Ive got over 1000 hours of training and certification on asbestos. Licensed by 3 states. Sit on an advisory panel for work standards in industry that advises regulators and contractors associations and and on the board of directors for a contractors association that negotiates with labor unions and lobbies legislators governing regulations. 

Your resume? 

slinger :groin:analer

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I remember as a kid having one of these rock and mineral kits similar to the pic that contained a nice chunk of asbestos. ......I remember fibers and peices of it falling off when I handled it.

I also remember having a maze game that contained a nice amount of mercury that you would tilt and roll the silver mercury around the maze to the finish line. Mom wasn't  too happy when I broke the game open and got the liquid mercury all over the couch and floor...kinda a bitch to clean up.

Ahhh the good ole days .....I somehow survived

:bomb:

Cant even imagine what some of those chemicals were in the old chemistry sets we had....way back when.:whiteflag:

il_570xN.487265119_52bj.jpg.cf.jpeg

I have seen those too. In your high school chemistry class, did you have those black slate countertops? :news:

1 minute ago, Nazipigdog said:

I have actually seen a brochure from a Canadian mining company about how certain types of asbestos arent that dangerous. Trying to reintroduce it to the marketplace. This was probably 10 years ago. 

it was so popular they named a town in QC after it. :lol: 

9385aca1609c5fb97107461d4a814f5a.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Remember when Slinger tried  to educate Tom on the oil industry and safety procedures....fucking dipshit never disappoints! :lol:

Well to be fair, Slinger is only an expert on Russia and Republicans so any topics other than those he is just a blow hard pissy pants. :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

ah, here we go with another "well he worked in x for y years, so he knows everything about z. paleez.  i understand what he is saying, but it doesn't guarantee the bad shit won't happen because of less regulations and the EPA shedding responsibility. 

Lead in paint will be next....it will be ok with the brain dead Trumpers here.

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

As usual the knuckledraggers go after the members that care about the environment. Whatever suits their political lean.

Yeah let’s go backwards...it’s OK

Says the guy holding a grudge from almost 80 years ago...now that is going backwards you goofy old elitist cunt bag.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Lead in paint will be next....it will be ok with the brain dead Trumpers here.

Lead in paint was not that great as modern coatings are massive improvements.  Now Copper sulfate on the other hand would be a welcome return in paints.

5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

FUCK TRUMP....

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

Source: The Architect's Newspaper

One of the most dangerous construction-related carcinogens is now legally allowed back into U.S. manufacturing under a new rule by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). On June 1, the EPA authorized a “SNUR” (Significant New Use Rule) which allows new products containing asbestos to be created on a case-by-case basis. 

According to environmental advocates, this new rule gives chemical companies the upper hand in creating new uses for such harmful products in the United States. In May, the EPA released a report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances. The report states that the agency will no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments. 

This news comes after the EPA reviewed its first batch of 10 chemicals under the 2016 amendment to the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which required the agency to continually reevaluate hundreds of potentially toxic chemicals to see whether they should face new restrictions or be removed from the market. The SNUR greenlights companies to use toxic chemicals like asbestos without thinking about how it will endanger people who are indirectly in contact with it. 

Asbestos, once seen as a magical mineral, was widely used in building insulation up until it was banned in most countries in the 1970s. The U.S. is one of the only developed nations in the world that has placed significant restrictions on the substance without banning it completely. New data revealed that asbestos-related deaths now total nearly 40,000 annually, with lung cancer and mesothelioma being the most common illnesses in association with the toxin. That number could rise if new asbestos-containing products make their way into brand new buildings. 

Read more: https://archpaper.com/2018/08/epa-asbestos-manufacturing/ 

What does this have to do with Trump??

8 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

The way you're acting these days must because you ate lead paint chips into adulthood.

I doubt anyone here is a chemical engineer so not surprising the irrational reactions that are brought up when these topics are introduced. These components were used because of their properties that made them good choices for various applications. No doubt regulation has brought about alot of improvements in many of these instances. Many times science can improve upon them, but it hasnt been able to for all of them. They still use lead shielding in x ray rooms. It doesnt pose a threat to human safety in this application and actually is the safety precaution. Asbestos has properties that still make it the best choice for certain applications too. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Lead in paint was not that great as modern coatings are massive improvements.  Now Copper sulfate on the other hand would be a welcome return in paints.

I disagree, When we had lead in automotive paint, whites covered in one- two coats, now it's 4-6. Then factor in paint was $200-300 a gallon then and $800 for three liters now.  

1 minute ago, Nazipigdog said:

I doubt anyone here is a chemical engineer so not surprising the irrational reactions that are brought up when these topics are introduced. These components were used because of their properties that made them good choices for various applications. No doubt regulation has brought about alot of improvements in many of these instances. Many times science can improve upon them, but it hasnt been able to for all of them. They still use lead shielding in x ray rooms. It doesnt pose a threat to human safety in this application and actually is the safety precaution. Asbestos has properties that still make it the best choice for certain applications too. 

Very true....I seen the other side of asbestos related diseases can do. We were dragged into a lawsuit by a mechanic that worked at a paper mill in one of the towns we have a store in. The guy was dying from mesothelioma. He was exposed to asbestos dust supposedly from brake fiction, clutches, and insulation at the mill in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The kick in the ass for me was the fact we didn't have a store in that area until 2001. We bought the selling store in 2001. His lawyers sued everyone that sold the mill and the mill. I had to hire an attorney with experience in this stuff to get us out of suit. $10K later we were released from the suit that we had nothing to do with. 

Great thread.

Slinger proves again what a complete dumbshit he actually is. Its just amazing that someone can be so wrong about something yet convinced that he is right and smarter than everyone else. 

Then top it off with the biggest hack of all hacks MC.  

:lol2: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Snot arguing with NaziPigDog about asbestos is like him arguing with AKdwarf about the BP oil spill :lol: the hack shitforbrains is :wrong:about absolutely everything 

Edited by Momorider

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

i'll say this, and then i am done with this topic.

do i think everybody who touches asbestos is going to die? hell no. same thoughts i have on many other things, including cigs.

are some forms of asbestos more dangerous than others? definitely.

do i think that the epa, under the trump admin, is going to "cut corners" and make things less safe, to increase profits? HELL YES. 

do i think the general population, especially consumers, are going to pay close attention to the small labels of things going into things they consume and buy? HELL NO

so it's my opinion, businesses are going to start using asbestos again in products, creating more health hazards, and it'll remain "invisible". because those people would have got cancer anyway, or something else caused it. definitely not the heat shields in the new furnace! in the meantime, prices don't drop, but profits increase. so in the end, comsumers get fucked, corporations make more dough. 

Bingo 

I think they should drop asbestos confetti at the Repug convenvention and use asbestos at all Dump properties. 

43 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Great thread.

Slinger proves again what a complete dumbshit he actually is. Its just amazing that someone can be so wrong about something yet convinced that he is right and smarter than everyone else. 

Then top it off with the biggest hack of all hacks MC.  

:lol2: 

Oh wait, it gets better.......snowbeavis is trying to join in.