Check your account email address ×

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

FUCK TRUMP....

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

Source: The Architect's Newspaper

One of the most dangerous construction-related carcinogens is now legally allowed back into U.S. manufacturing under a new rule by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). On June 1, the EPA authorized a “SNUR” (Significant New Use Rule) which allows new products containing asbestos to be created on a case-by-case basis. 

According to environmental advocates, this new rule gives chemical companies the upper hand in creating new uses for such harmful products in the United States. In May, the EPA released a report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances. The report states that the agency will no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments. 

This news comes after the EPA reviewed its first batch of 10 chemicals under the 2016 amendment to the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which required the agency to continually reevaluate hundreds of potentially toxic chemicals to see whether they should face new restrictions or be removed from the market. The SNUR greenlights companies to use toxic chemicals like asbestos without thinking about how it will endanger people who are indirectly in contact with it. 

Asbestos, once seen as a magical mineral, was widely used in building insulation up until it was banned in most countries in the 1970s. The U.S. is one of the only developed nations in the world that has placed significant restrictions on the substance without banning it completely. New data revealed that asbestos-related deaths now total nearly 40,000 annually, with lung cancer and mesothelioma being the most common illnesses in association with the toxin. That number could rise if new asbestos-containing products make their way into brand new buildings. 

Read more: https://archpaper.com/2018/08/epa-asbestos-manufacturing/ 

Oh no, probably going to be dumping it in our drinking water and forcing school children to breath it too I bet.  FFS.  It's for NEW products on a case by case basis.

Edited by racer254

25 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Oh no, probably going to be dumping it in our drinking water and forcing school children to breath it too I bet.  FFS.  It's for NEW products on a case by case basis.

like this little asshole........

40 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

wow. i'm sure the trumpsters are OK with it, and will tell us asbestos is safe. :lol:

Being in the asbestos business for 30 years now, not all asbestos is necessarily dangerous and its only dangerous if you breath the microscopic fibers for long periods of time. Just about every house or building built before 1980 has or had asbestos in some form in it. We were all exposed to it our whole lives and still are. It was and is in everything. 

Why? because it is a fantastic product for what it is used for. Its chemically resistant, fireproof, non-corrosive, super strong. And the reality is they have not found suitable replacement for it in some extreme applications. One could argue its a life safety issue in some instances where its heat and fire resistance is unmatched. I know first hand that the EPA lifted the ban years ago for certain items for that reason. 

So before you sissy faggots get all panicky you should educate yourselves a little bit on the subject. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Being in the asbestos business for 30 years now, not all asbestos is necessarily dangerous and its only dangerous if you breath the microscopic fibers for long periods of time. Just about every house or building built before 1980 has or had asbestos in some form in it. We were all exposed to it our whole lives and still are. It was and is in everything. 

Why? because it is a fantastic product for what it is used for. Its chemically resistant, fireproof, non-corrosive, super strong. And the reality is they have not found suitable replacement for it in some extreme applications. One could argue its a life safety issue in some instances where its heat and fire resistance is unmatched. I know first hand that the EPA lifted the ban years ago for certain items for that reason. 

So before you sissy faggots get all panicky you should educate yourselves a little bit on the subject. 

if you can't see a problem with what the epa is doing, or allowing, in various cases like this one, you're a bigger idiot than i thought. but then again, your livelihood depends on "clean ups" so maybe this shit suits you fine. we have been doing well without the need for asbestos, so why go back? oh wait, i know, another regulation crippling businesses :lol:

"Though the EPA is easing its regulations against using harmful toxins like asbestos, it will largely be the responsibility of local and state governments, as well as companies and informed consumers to counter these federal moves. Walsh says it’s up to sustainable building-product manufacturers and ultimately, architects to pressure the market."

then there's this...

"According to environmental advocates, this new rule gives chemical companies the upper hand in creating new uses for such harmful products in the United States. In May, the EPA released a report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances. The report states that the agency will no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments."

Edited by Snoslinger

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

if you can't see a problem with what the epa is doing, or allowing, in various cases like this one, you're a bigger idiot than i thought. but then again, your livelihood depends on "clean ups" so maybe this shit suits you fine. we have been doing well without the need for asbestos, so why go back? oh wait, i know, another regulation crippling businesses :lol:

"Though the EPA is easing its regulations against using harmful toxins like asbestos, it will largely be the responsibility of local and state governments, as well as companies and informed consumers to counter these federal moves. Walsh says it’s up to sustainable building-product manufacturers and ultimately, architects to pressure the market."

then there's this...

"According to environmental advocates, this new rule gives chemical companies the upper hand in creating new uses for such harmful products in the United States. In May, the EPA released a report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances. The report states that the agency will no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments."

Dude, didn’t he just say he’s been working with asbestos for 30 years?  Doesn’t he do it for a living?  How do you not think you should be listening to him?

Knock this shit off.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Dude, didn’t he just say he’s been working with asbestos for 30 years?  Doesn’t he do it for a living?  How do you not think you should be listening to him?

Knock this shit off.

It's typical for douche bags like him to think they 'know it all".  Why bother educating or listening to someone with more expertise in the subject when he can be lead around by other ignorant know-it-alls

Just now, Zambroski said:

Knock this shit off.

ah, here we go with another "well he worked in x for y years, so he knows everything about z. paleez.  i understand what he is saying, but it doesn't guarantee the bad shit won't happen because of less regulations and the EPA shedding responsibility. 

Just now, racer254 said:

It's typical for douche bags like him to think they 'know it all".  Why bother educating or listening to someone with more expertise in the subject when he can be lead around by other ignorant know-it-alls

i don't "know it all" about asbestos, you are correct. what i do know is that nothing good will become of this. you're just too fucking dumb to see it. now go eat a hunk of asbestos and stfu.

Just now, Snoslinger said:

then there's this...

You just dont know what you are talking about. For one, asbestos is NOT toxic. You can rub it on your skin, eat it, stick it up your ass, it is not poisonous.

And like I said, the EPA already lifted the ban for certain applications YEARS AGO. Because they havent found suitable replacements and in life safety situations the immediate risk to safety takes precedence over potential long term effects.

and futhermore... OSHA still governs worker protections for handling asbestos. The EPA cant and wont change anything there. Canada still mines asbestos and they still use it is various products. The human risk is almost nothing if the precautions are followed. Just like working with any other material that causes dust. 

The EPA and OSHA just passed a silica standard for construction. WHY? Because breathing of silica dusts cause the exact same problems as asbestos. Nobody is banning silica. 

Are the going to allow the use of asbestos in all consumer goods and construction materials again? No. You are just being a reactionary retard as usual. 

5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

It just gets old.

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

ah, here we go with another "well he worked in x for y years, so he knows everything about z. paleez.  i understand what he is saying, but it doesn't guarantee the bad shit won't happen because of less regulations and the EPA shedding responsibility. 

See, that’s the problem with you bleeding heart liberals, you want a “guarantee nothing bad will happen”.  And for some bizarre reason, think that is possible.  But really even more bizarre than that, you think the Gub’ment strangling tax payers and handcufffing the private sector can make the guarantee for you.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

then there's this...

8 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

"informed consumers"

that is a joke, especially in this place. 

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

How to kill a story: " According to environmental advocates, "

Fuck you dude.

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

You just dont know what you are talking about. For one, asbestos is NOT toxic. You can rub it on your skin, eat it, stick it up your ass, it is not poisonous.

And like I said, the EPA already lifted the ban for certain applications YEARS AGO. Because they havent found suitable replacements and in life safety situations the immediate risk to safety takes precedence over potential long term effects.

and futhermore... OSHA still governs worker protections for handling asbestos. The EPA cant and wont change anything there. Canada still mines asbestos and they still use it is various products. The human risk is almost nothing if the precautions are followed. Just like working with any other material that causes dust. 

The EPA and OSHA just passed a silica standard for construction. WHY? Because breathing of silica dusts cause the exact same problems as asbestos. Nobody is banning silica. 

Are the going to allow the use of asbestos in all consumer goods and construction materials again? No. You are just being a reactionary retard as usual. 

Shut the fuck up, Anlar!!!!!!!  He read an article and it makes him “feels”!!!!  YuR an imbecile Trump, dump, lumper!!!!!

THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!

It’s getting harder for me to do this anymore.

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

i don't "know it all" about asbestos, you are correct. what i do know is that nothing good will become of this. you're just too fucking dumb to see it. now go eat a hunk of asbestos and stfu.

do you know what really killed the asbestos industry? It wasnt regulation, it was the tort lawyers. They bankrupted them. Had asbestos manufacturers implemented worker protections and PPE when they knew the dust was harmful (like they do for fiberglass, silica, gypsum and other dusts) they could possibly be still making the shit. They put asbestos in millions of homes and buildings and ill bet you dont know of one person who died or got sick from asbestos because it was in their home.

Fuck I removed over a thousand cubic yards of asbestos from buildings and schools this year already.  And I am going to do that for the next ten years most likely. $$$$. Thanks joo lawyers!

6 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

LOL.  Perfect example of his experience and knowledge about asbestos.

what's next? allowing lead back in paint? i guarantee many in here would be ok with it. sorry, i'll take the epa (former epa, that is) and other expert opinions of things over businesses and trumpsters any day of the week.