Check your account email address ×

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

Bottom line is the stigma on asbestos isnt going away. Nobody is going to buy products with asbestos. Architects are not going to write specifications for use of asbestos building products. In fact pretty much EVERY construction specification explicitly says NO ASBESTOS CONTAINING PRODUCTS SHALL BE USED. Most states and local governments have environmental enforcement departments and regulations. 

Can you really imagine manufacturers taking the risk of reintroducing asbestos back into the marketplace? who the fuck would do that? There is far too much liability. But they will use it for certain applications that asbestos is best suited for. Most likely industrial applications where its properties are unmatched and immediately human safety is the main objective. Just like it already has. And because they lifted the ban tells me that some industry association already put the science and data before the EPA which proved why it was necessary. 

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

so do it then, if you think it's perfect safe. video tape it, so we can watch. 

The point was made.  It shows just what type of ass you can make of yourself.  Its too bad that you're not unique in that area.  You and others like you fall for this type of shit daily from the media.  GRUBERED.

come on racer, show some balls and trust here. analer and a few others have it right, and everyone else, wrong :lol:do you need some help finding some samples? 

Health Risks of Asbestos Exposure by Skin Contact

Asbestos exposure is a known carcinogen and is known to cause diseases such as mesothelioma or lung cancer many years after initial exposure.

Mesothelioma and lung cancer have a long latency period before the diseases manifest themselves while the asbestos fibers are causing damage within the body.

Direct contact between asbestos and the skin poses a risk of the material entering the body or the blood stream, and there has been a strong link between skin contact with asbestos and mesothelioma of the abdomen known as peritoneal mesothelioma with the most common mesothelioma diagnosis being pleural mesothelioma.

Other consequences of Asbestos skin exposure include:

• Burning, itching sensation
  • Prickling pain or tingling
  • Redness, rashes

https://mesowatch.com/asbestos-skin-exposure/

7 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

what's next? allowing lead back in paint? i guarantee many in here would be ok with it. sorry, i'll take the epa (former epa, that is) and other expert opinions of things over businesses and trumpsters any day of the week.  

Unlike asbestos lead IS TOXIC. So, no they arent going to re-introduce lead back into products. Because its poisonous. And i make a lot of money removing lead. $$$$$ :bc:

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Bottom line is the stigma on asbestos isnt going away. Nobody is going to buy products with asbestos. Architects are not going to write specifications for use of asbestos building products. In fact pretty much EVERY construction specification explicitly says NO ASBESTOS CONTAINING PRODUCTS SHALL BE USED. Most states and local governments have environmental enforcement departments and regulations. 

Can you really imagine manufacturers taking the risk of reintroducing asbestos back into the marketplace? who the fuck would do that? There is far too much liability. But they will use it for certain applications that asbestos is best suited for. Most likely industrial applications where its properties are unmatched and immediately human safety is the main objective. Just like it already has. And because they lifted the ban tells me that some industry association already put the science and data before the EPA which proved why it was necessary. 

:lol:

you really are an idiot. like businesses are going to put "DANGER: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS ASBESTOS" large enough for the racers of the world to see, and understand it.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

come on racer, show some balls and trust here. analer and a few others have it right, and everyone else, wrong :lol:do you need some help finding some samples? 

Health Risks of Asbestos Exposure by Skin Contact

Asbestos exposure is a known carcinogen and is known to cause diseases such as mesothelioma or lung cancer many years after initial exposure.

Mesothelioma and lung cancer have a long latency period before the diseases manifest themselves while the asbestos fibers are causing damage within the body.

Direct contact between asbestos and the skin poses a risk of the material entering the body or the blood stream, and there has been a strong link between skin contact with asbestos and mesothelioma of the abdomen known as peritoneal mesothelioma with the most common mesothelioma diagnosis being pleural mesothelioma.

Other consequences of Asbestos skin exposure include:

• Burning, itching sensation
  • Prickling pain or tingling
  • Redness, rashes

https://mesowatch.com/asbestos-skin-exposure/

This is some lawyer propaganda. Asbestos is not known to cause cancers of the skin. Mesothelioma is the marker disease for asbestos and the latency period is like 30 to 40 years. 

In comparison. If you work with asbestos and dont smoke you only have a 5% chance of getting cancer. If you smoke and dont work with asbestos you have a 20% chance of getting cancer. If you smoke and work with asbestos you have a 90% chancce of getting cancer 

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Unlike asbestos lead IS TOXIC. So, no they arent going to re-introduce lead back into products. Because its poisonous. And i make a lot of money removing lead. $$$$$ :bc:

so other experts who counter your arguments, have it all wrong eh?

24 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

ah, here we go with another "well he worked in x for y years, so he knows everything about z. paleez.  i understand what he is saying, but it doesn't guarantee the bad shit won't happen because of less regulations and the EPA shedding responsibility. 

Oh ok well your zero experience with it at all negates his years of experience because you say so :lol: 

Just now, Snoslinger said:

you really are an idiot. like businesses are going to put "DANGER: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS ASBESTOS" large enough for the racers of the world to see, and understand it.

Ive got over 1000 hours of training and certification on asbestos. Licensed by 3 states. Sit on an advisory panel for work standards in industry that advises regulators and contractors associations and and on the board of directors for a contractors association that negotiates with labor unions and lobbies legislators governing regulations. 

Your resume? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Nazipigdog said:

Ive got over 1000 hours of training and certification on asbestos. Licensed by 3 states. Sit on an advisory panel for work standards in industry that advises regulators and contractors associations and and on the board of directors for a contractors association that negotiates with labor unions and lobbies legislators governing regulations. 

Your resume? 

He stayed at a holiday inn last night.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Being in the asbestos business for 30 years now, not all asbestos is necessarily dangerous and its only dangerous if you breath the microscopic fibers for long periods of time. Just about every house or building built before 1980 has or had asbestos in some form in it. We were all exposed to it our whole lives and still are. It was and is in everything. 

Why? because it is a fantastic product for what it is used for. Its chemically resistant, fireproof, non-corrosive, super strong. And the reality is they have not found suitable replacement for it in some extreme applications. One could argue its a life safety issue in some instances where its heat and fire resistance is unmatched. I know first hand that the EPA lifted the ban years ago for certain items for that reason. 

So before you sissy faggots get all panicky you should educate yourselves a little bit on the subject. 

giphy (5).gif

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

so other experts who counter your arguments, have it all wrong eh?

Well being youre a liberal and believe in science and shit you should go to the OSHA construction standard 1929.1101 or EPA NESHAPs guidelines and get your info from there. 

If asbestos was a known skin hazard every single person in my industry would be affected. None are. We are not required by any regulatory body to wear impermeable suits while handling asbestos. In fact in some states that dont have their own state regulations you dont even need to handle some forms of asbestos building materials as asbestos. Anyone can remove it and throw it in the garbage. 

But you are getting off topic trying to look righteous here. Lifting the ban on certain products will have zero affect on your life or anyone you know. 

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Your resume? 

:lmao:

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

FUCK TRUMP....

EPA is now allowing asbestos back into manufacturing

Source: The Architect's Newspaper

One of the most dangerous construction-related carcinogens is now legally allowed back into U.S. manufacturing under a new rule by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). On June 1, the EPA authorized a “SNUR” (Significant New Use Rule) which allows new products containing asbestos to be created on a case-by-case basis. 

According to environmental advocates, this new rule gives chemical companies the upper hand in creating new uses for such harmful products in the United States. In May, the EPA released a report detailing its new framework for evaluating the risk of its top prioritized substances. The report states that the agency will no longer consider the effect or presence of substances in the air, ground, or water in its risk assessments. 

This news comes after the EPA reviewed its first batch of 10 chemicals under the 2016 amendment to the 1976 Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which required the agency to continually reevaluate hundreds of potentially toxic chemicals to see whether they should face new restrictions or be removed from the market. The SNUR greenlights companies to use toxic chemicals like asbestos without thinking about how it will endanger people who are indirectly in contact with it. 

Asbestos, once seen as a magical mineral, was widely used in building insulation up until it was banned in most countries in the 1970s. The U.S. is one of the only developed nations in the world that has placed significant restrictions on the substance without banning it completely. New data revealed that asbestos-related deaths now total nearly 40,000 annually, with lung cancer and mesothelioma being the most common illnesses in association with the toxin. That number could rise if new asbestos-containing products make their way into brand new buildings. 

Read more: https://archpaper.com/2018/08/epa-asbestos-manufacturing/ 

so just curious MC was Trump president in 2016 when this Amendment requiring review was passed

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Your resume? 

Ouch!!

17 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

spot on the BK of johns-manville pretty much made sure no ones going back to using known risks

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

so just curious MC was Trump president in 2016 when this Amendment requiring review was passed

I really should have read that post better. Its already full of shit because it again refers to asbestos as a toxic chemical, which it is not. It is a mineral that is mined from the earth. A fibrous mineral. And is not toxic. If anything the evaluation may have involved using an asbestos product to handle toxic chemicals. which it has been used for in the past. 

16 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Well being youre a liberal and believe in science and shit you should go to the OSHA construction standard 1929.1101 or EPA NESHAPs guidelines and get your info from there. 

If asbestos was a known skin hazard every single person in my industry would be affected. None are. We are not required by any regulatory body to wear impermeable suits while handling asbestos. In fact in some states that dont have their own state regulations you dont even need to handle some forms of asbestos building materials as asbestos. Anyone can remove it and throw it in the garbage. 

But you are getting off topic trying to look righteous here. Lifting the ban on certain products will have zero affect on your life or anyone you know. 

so yeah, you are the top expert. btw, i know a bunch of people who smoke that never got cancer too. i guess that means cigs are safe? 

6 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

I drilled into some block wall here at work and vermiculite came pouring out. I had no idea what it was. Am I going to die now?

YES! Actually the EPA said several years ago that vermiculite is now considered asbestos. It may or may not contain asbestos but the methods used to detect its content are not very reliable so they just say its asbestos. It was used for house attic and wall insulation quite extensively and I cant tell you how many calls I get from home owners freaking out about it once they find out its in their house. IMO completely harmless. 

26 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Your resume? 

do you want to eat some asbestos too, professor asbestos? 

Just now, Snoslinger said:

so yeah, you are the top expert. btw, i know a bunch of people who smoke that never got cancer too. i guess that means cigs are safe? 

NO, and i am not saying asbestos is "safe". Im saying that you dont know the circumstances regarding the lifting of the ban on certain items because it has been done before. You are the one presuming that the market is now going to be flooded with asbestos products and everyone is going to die because of TRUMP.  :lol:

Dont you think I would be a little concerned if they were just going to reverse all asbestos regulation being as I make my living from that? Why would anyone pay to have asbestos removed if they were going to start putting it back in buildings? :lol: