Check your account email address ×

Almost looks like a f150 and a tundra had a baby

BOHICA

arbon fiber is ridiculously strong and should hold up in any side-by-side impact test against aluminum. That is, until you start considering price. Carbon fiber costs substantially more to manufacture, form, and fix than either steel or aluminum. That’s probably why GM plans to limit its usage to only highest trim levels, at least until it can figure out a way to keep production costs down. 

However, according to the Wall Street Journal, General Motors doesn’t want to keep the exotic weave limited to ultra-expensive models indefinitely. It’s considering the widespread implementation of carbon fiber, as the lightweight material would improve fuel economy by cutting down on weight. But selling it to consumers might be difficult. We know that truck buyers are willing to spend more than ever on a pickup but we don’t know if they’ll option for a bed that isn’t steel without it being roped into an appetizing premium package. They certainly didn’t with GM’s plastic composite beds in the early 2000s.

Carbon fiber isn’t the only lightweight material that appears destined for the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado, either. The report indicated that we might soon see more aluminum used in both vehicles’ construction — again, to save weight.

It’s hard not to feel bad for the engineers in this case. You can imagine one of them mentioning the need to lighten General Motors’ fleet before someone said, “Well, we can’t use too much aluminum. Those advertising people made that an impossibility for us. What about carbon fiber?”

Selective availability or not, simply using the material will give GM some serious bragging rights. That’s important in the highly competitive truck segment, where every added feature or extra pound of payload capacity can make a difference.

Honestly I love everything but the wheel wells. Round just looks wrong to me. :dunno: 

Oh well, who care about looks anyway. My lease is up in August so if it's the same old anemic 5.3 I'll consider getting a Ram. Even if they keep it, at least offer the 6.2 in lower trim levels.

I don't think I will get another gm pick up until they get something better than that 5.3L and a decent 8 speed. The 6.2 is good but I'm not paying $60k for a work truck. That's gay. 

24 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

I don't think I will get another gm pick up until they get something better than that 5.3L and a decent 8 speed. The 6.2 is good but I'm not paying $60k for a work truck. That's gay. 

Only thing I've heard is gm is hinting at "improved performance".   I'm guessing the 10 speed will be an option 

42 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

why would you pay 60k for a work truck ? fuck I wont go over a xlt for work trucks and I feel bad at that . now if you are just calling it a work truck and putting it in the company name I get it 

22 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

why would you pay 60k for a work truck ? fuck I wont go over a xlt for work trucks and I feel bad at that . now if you are just calling it a work truck and putting it in the company name I get it 

Because that's how much you have to spend to get the 6.2 in a truck. And I'm not buying a Cadillac for a work truck. 

I was just looking at some new xlt 250s with the 6.2 running around 42500

thinking fuck the 250,  a 150 with a 5.0 is ten g less same trim . the 5.0 I have now with bags is constantly overloaded and abused pretty bad just rolled over 100k with no major issues except the rust forming on wheel wells  

and the 250 is to fucking tall to grab shit out of . why do work trucks need to be 5 or more feet to the top of the bed now days WTF

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I was just at the local dealer on Wednesday and spotted this F350 out back. 

$59k on the window Tag. XLT with 6.2 gas, extended cab.

31E8EA28-D87B-43FF-AF6F-172C99E5FCE1.thumb.jpeg.aee78ce28d1e763c3826fa1c5b94c630.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I was going to post the same thing.

Yeah, those big square wheel wells just never looked right to me.  And it didn't matter how much meat you put in them, they stll just made the wheels look too small...unless you just got stupid wth wheels and tires.

I liked mine but still...round wells would have been better.

DSCN1534.JPG