Check your account email address ×

And so it begins.

Ive only been home 1 day and already the shock work is piling up. I serviced and repaired 19 RZR shocks this afternoon. Should be another 16 tomorrow. 

You know its serious when you have to order shock oil by the 5 gallon pales.  

I can whip the little ones out pretty quick but the big ones take a bit of time and a bit more oil. Three bent shafts in the bunch. Two I straightened and one was kinked so i had to replace it. 

I charge $60 each for SxS shocks. $25 to straighten a shaft. $50 for a new shaft.  

I was at it for about 5 hours no stop. 

$1250 in my pocket for my efforts. 

FCE6CB10-6F4E-4A00-8B9B-116C5716E550.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ive only been home 1 day and already the shock work is piling up. I serviced and repaired 19 RZR shocks this afternoon. Should be another 16 tomorrow. 

I can whip the little ones out pretty quick but the big ones take a bit of time and a bit more oil. Three bent shafts in the bunch. Two I straightened and one was kinked so i had to replace it. 

I charge $60 each for SxS shocks. $25 to straighten a shaft. $50 for a new shaft.  

I made a remarkable amount of cash when rebuilding shocks. As it became more specialized I realized that I had to either make a huge commitment to tools and resources or get out. 

47 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I made a remarkable amount of cash when rebuilding shocks. As it became more specialized I realized that I had to either make a huge commitment to tools and resources or get out. 

I service all brands of shock.   Ohlins, Exits, Elkas, KYB’s, Fox, Walkers, etc.  They are all very similar but some take a few different tools. 

Having confidence in my ability is probably the biggest advantage I have. I probably service 250-300 shocks per year these days.  There are not really any shocks that give me any trouble any more.   I started servicing motorcycle shocks and forks a couple of years ago. There are many specialized tools needed for forks. I hate bike shocks and forks. They are not difficult but you need to know all the specs before you can do them properly. 

I give all my customers a 100% money back guarantee for as long as they own the vehicle or until they think the time is up. If they put 200  miles on a set of shocks and they are not doing what we agreed they should do I service/revalve them again for free. If they get 1000 miles and come back I service them again for free. If they get 2000 miles I do them again if the customer is not happy. I tell every customer that my shock work is guaranteed until they decide when the guarantee is over.  I even guarantee my shock work for people who are servicing the shocks just before they are selling the vehicle. The new owner gets my guarantee also. 

The wife and I went to Sullivans for dinner last night. The bill was $250 for the two of us. My wife thought it was a little steep seeing how Im unemployed. I said, “thats one set of RZR shocks. Have another glass of champaign. No big deal.”   

5 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I service all brands of shock.   Ohlins, Exits, Elkas, KYB’s, Fox, Walkers, etc.  They are all very similar but some take a few different tools. 

Having confidence in my ability is probably the biggest advantage I have. I probably service 250-300 shocks per year these days.  There are not really any shocks that give me any trouble any more.   I started servicing motorcycle shocks and forks a couple of years ago. There are many specialized tools needed for forks. I hate bike shocks and forks. They are not difficult but you need to know all the specs before you can do them properly. 

I give all my customers a 100% money back guarantee for as long as they own the vehicle or until they think the time is up. If they put 200  miles on a set of shocks and they are not doing what we agreed they should do I service/revalve them again for free. If they get 1000 miles and come back I service them again for free. If they get 2000 miles I do them again if the customer is not happy. I tell every customer that my shock work is guaranteed until they decide when the guarantee is over.  I even guarantee my shock work for people who are servicing the shocks just before they are selling the vehicle. The new owner gets my guarantee also. 

The wife and I went to Sullivans for dinner last night. The bill was $250 for the two of us. My wife thought it was a little steep seeing how Im unemployed. I said, “thats one set of RZR shocks. Have another glass of champaign. No big deal.”   

That’s awesome, man!  I can do and have done just about all there is to do on motor sports vehicles but, I’ve never cracked my own shocks. I always wanted to but, to stock up on the supplies and learn what works and what doesn’t isn’t worth the down time learning curve when I can send it out to an experienced builder and tell them exactly what I am looking for in my shocks and, they can get it done.  A good “shock guy” is an artist.  An expert in being able to chose the right “innards” for what the rider/driver wants (assuming the rider/driver knows how to ride/drive).

It’s really a shame more people don’t understand the benefit of what a good shock tuning/good revalve-rebuild can do for them.  And with your experience and those prices.....everyone here that’s never had shock work done should GET IT DONE!  

:bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm a bit curious how you straighten the shafts? I guess I always figured they were shot when bent or else they'd leak at the seal or something. Keep in mind I don't know shocks other then older stuff for RC cars :lol:  

8 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nice. not bad for half a days pay and being retired.  :bc:

Edited by old indy

That is awesome. Not sure I’d want to tell to many people that you can make $250.00 per hour working from your garage.   

You might find yourself with unwanted competition. 

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

That is awesome. Not sure I’d want to tell to many people that you can make $250.00 per hour working from your garage.   

You might find yourself with unwanted competition. 

Judging by the amount of work he had lined up those folks were itching for him to get back so HE could work on their shocks. I don’t think he’s got anything to worry about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Judging by the amount of work he had lined up those folks were itching for him to get back so HE could work on their shocks. I don’t think he’s got anything to worry about.

Theres money to be made in shock rebuilding for sure.  Good on Tom.

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

How much money does in tools and how much space would someone need to start putting a dent in that line up.  I’m sure he spent years building up a client base and has a great rep. But compare that $250.00 per hour profit to what a bike mechanic is making and I think a post like that will turn some heads. 

17 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Please don’t engage him in threads like this.  He has literally no earthly idea what he is talking about.  It’s like talking to a middle school kid about business.

• Haha 2

Just now, Zambroski said:

Please don’t engage him in threads like this.  He has literally no earthly idea what he is talking about.  It’s like talking to a middle school kid about business.

Most middle school kids are brighter :guzzle:

• Thanks 1

Great job Tom.

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

What a shocker which path you took.:lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

How much money does in tools and how much space would someone need to start putting a dent in that line up.  I’m sure he spent years building up a client base and has a great rep. But compare that $250.00 per hour profit to what a bike mechanic is making and I think a post like that will turn some heads. 

Why does that bother you?  :lol:

You know what a couple of us invoice for a 10 hour Sunday?  

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

This is a guy that thinks he’s Bill Gates because he makes six figures and lives on a lake. :lol: 

Im sure 250 an hour gives him a little chubby.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Edmo said:

This is a guy that thinks he’s Bill Gates because he makes six figures and lives on a lake. :lol: 

Im sure 250 an hour gives him a little chubby.

It's a river downstream from a sewage treatment plant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Doesn't bother me at all. It's great that he's found a niche.  Just not sure what advantage there is in telling people about it. 

How many people are capable of rebuilding shocks? 

44 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's a river downstream from a sewage treatment plant.

Poor butthurt crusher.  Had to make up stuff about my place because I made fun of your white trash indoor outdoor carpeting yard. 

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Doesn't bother me at all. It's great that he's found a niche.  Just not sure what advantage there is in telling people about it. 

Sure as shit you arn't shitforbrains :bigfinger:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

So you think that because I posted a picture and made a little writeup someone on this forum might steal some of my shock customers?   Hmmm. Thats a very interesting line of thinking for sure. 

• Like 1