Check your account email address ×

And so it begins.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

And just to be clear. Shock work is feast or famine for me. Some days I will have 16-20 shocks to service. Then I may go a week or two and not service any. 

When I was working a regular schedule I could count on servicing 20-30 shocks a week when I was home. But none when I was away. And it would be mostly winter time work. 

SxS shock servicing has really picked up this last couple of years. I much prefer sled shocks but oh well. 

I upgraded the Cat fronts with Elka stage 3's this past year and really liked the feel.

I wanted to improve the shocks on my Suzuki Kingquad 450 (2009), great machine but rough ride, but can't seem to find any aftermarkets, elkas, fox etc.

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is a cool looking rig with some decent parts on it for sure. The axles alone are worth close to $15k and maybe more. 

Wonder how he gets his shackles to stay tucked back like that. That prevents them from rattling. 

Rubber washers on the shackle pin. You can make them from a sheet of gasket material. You just stack them in between the shackle and bumber mount, both sides until it’s stiff. 

My next venture for shock servicing will likely be in Havasu. There are so many SxS and off road vehicles down there that need shock work. Guys put high miles on their rigs and the shocks get neglected. 

I went to the local Polaris dealer back in April. I kinda pretended to be a customer who needed his shocks serviced. The service guy looked at me straight out and said $250 each. I said ok wow. What all do I get for $250 each. He said “we box them up and send them to Walker or Fox and let them service them”. i asked if he sends many shocks out for service  he said “every day”  

in october when we go back down I gonna start servicing shocks down there.  It will be fun and keep me busy doing something I like to do  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I upgraded the Cat fronts with Elka stage 3's this past year and really liked the feel.

I wanted to improve the shocks on my Suzuki Kingquad 450 (2009), great machine but rough ride, but can't seem to find any aftermarkets, elkas, fox etc.

Elkas are great shocks.  Some of the best. 

Shocks for random ATV’s are difficult to find. You almost need someone to custom build a set. You need length, stroke and mounting configuration.  Walker will build a set of non piggyback gas charged shocks for about $200 each. 

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Elkas are great shocks.  Some of the best. 

Shocks for random ATV’s are difficult to find. You almost need someone to custom build a set. You need length, stroke and mounting configuration.  Walker will build a set of non piggyback gas charged shocks for about $200 each. 

The walkers from factory poo any good? The seasoned pros from fs or tbp seem to say they are a poor shock.  

Just now, Kev144 said:

The walkers from factory poo any good? The seasoned pros from fs or tbp seem to say they are a poor shock.  

All walker shocks are good for the money they cost. The new velocity series shocks that walker came out with in 2017 are great shocks. 

All walker shocks can be made to be better than they are as delivered on a sled or SxS. A few simple changes inside will make a big difference to a walker shock. 

17 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

All walker shocks are good for the money they cost. The new velocity series shocks that walker came out with in 2017 are great shocks. 

All walker shocks can be made to be better than they are as delivered on a sled or SxS. A few simple changes inside will make a big difference to a walker shock. 

Good to know.  I believe my 18 xcr has the velocity shocks with hi/low speed adjustment? 

3 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Good to know.  I believe my 18 xcr has the velocity shocks with hi/low speed adjustment? 

The velocity shocks have the piggyback reservoir half way down the tube.  On a sled they will be black.  I know the 2020 XCR had the velocities and some 2019's had them.  Not sure about every sled that came with the Velocities.

wal_18_vel_vs2_fiv_com_adj_pig_res_rea_s

24 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The velocity shocks have the piggyback reservoir half way down the tube.  On a sled they will be black.  I know the 2020 XCR had the velocities and some 2019's had them.  Not sure about every sled that came with the Velocities.

wal_18_vel_vs2_fiv_com_adj_pig_res_rea_s

Nope mine are just the regular walkers with hi/low speed adjustment 

8 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Nope mine are just the regular walkers with hi/low speed adjustment 

They may have called those the V1.  First gen Velocity shocks.  They are still good shocks but the clicker knobs/assemblies are fairly delicate.  If a knob gets stiff and doesn't want to move don't force it with pliers.  It will twist off inside and be ineffective after that.  

27 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

They may have called those the V1.  First gen Velocity shocks.  They are still good shocks but the clicker knobs/assemblies are fairly delicate.  If a knob gets stiff and doesn't want to move don't force it with pliers.  It will twist off inside and be ineffective after that.  

They seem fine now, it's just fiddling with the hi/low speed.  Never had that before.  

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

Same guys who think that will transform them into a thoroughbred racer?:lol:

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

My next venture for shock servicing will likely be in Havasu. There are so many SxS and off road vehicles down there that need shock work. Guys put high miles on their rigs and the shocks get neglected. 

I went to the local Polaris dealer back in April. I kinda pretended to be a customer who needed his shocks serviced. The service guy looked at me straight out and said $250 each. I said ok wow. What all do I get for $250 each. He said “we box them up and send them to Walker or Fox and let them service them”. i asked if he sends many shocks out for service  he said “every day”  

in october when we go back down I gonna start servicing shocks down there.  It will be fun and keep me busy doing something I like to do  

$250!! Wow. I was doing it for $45 back in the “90’s and felt guilty. Lol. 

Just now, Snake said:

Is this something you can rebuild AK?

shock.thumb.jpg.6b04f761954fe58e9b71517cd8b2ea46.jpg

Easy peasy. It’s also possible to improve the ride quite dramatically with different orifice size/banding of the bypass circuit, and valving. 

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Thats $180 so with inflation you should feel guilty you were ripping people off :finger: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Momorider said:

Thats $180 so with inflation you should feel guilty you were ripping people off :finger: 

I’d have shoved your shock directly up your ass. You’re a total particle of clinging shit. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I charge $30 for a sled shock.  $60 for a SxS shock.  SxS shocks are easily twice as much trouble.  The big SxS shocks are almost as tall as I am and weigh 70lbs with the spring.  

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

Is this something you can rebuild AK?

shock.thumb.jpg.6b04f761954fe58e9b71517cd8b2ea46.jpg

Yes, simple shock to service and like Greg said the bypass ports can be altered with banding.  I don't typically mess with the banding.  I tig weld the bypass ports closed and redrill them to the proper location and a more appropriate diameter port.  Polaris and Fox completely missed the boat with those shocks.  It was a good idea that had some promise but most customers hated the constant bottoming and they got a bad name right away.  Bypass ports were way to big and in the wrong location for aggressive bump riding.  Very few shock guys want to mess with them but they are easy to service.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I charge $30 for a sled shock.  $60 for a SxS shock.  SxS shocks are easily twice as much trouble.  The big SxS shocks are almost as tall as I am and weigh 70lbs with the spring.  

I remember the early fox units in the mid 90’s. They had horrible quality seals and o rings. I bought my first set from Carl’s cycle for an xlt sks. I think I paid $650 for all 4. They wanted $65 per shock for rebuilding/including shipping. That’s what got me interested in rebuilding. I found a good supplier for better seals and fluid. The shocks lasted 3-4x as long as from the factory. 

@AKIQPilot I just ordered OME rear shocks for my Cammander. Very few longer travel shock options for that Jeep. Bought them from my buddies local shop in Elk Grove. $220 for the pair. RRO is where I bought the lift and they were out of line with the shock price.