Check your account email address ×

And so it begins.

18 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Poor butthurt crusher.  Had to make up stuff about my place because I made fun of your white trash indoor outdoor carpeting yard. 

We pay good coin for our places here to keep the deadbeats out.  That would be you.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So you think that because I posted a picture and made a little writeup someone on this forum might steal some of my shock customers?   Hmmm. Thats a very interesting line of thinking for sure. 

He doesn't understand the value add side of business.

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So you think that because I posted a picture and made a little writeup someone on this forum might steal some of my shock customers?   Hmmm. Thats a very interesting line of thinking for sure. 

Seems like you’ve got a great gig. High pay, low overhead and you appear to be saying you work when you want.

If you aren’t worried about people knowing, that’s cool 

How many people on this site are capable of doing what you do? What is the maximum investment it would take to buy the equipment?  Could someone do the work in a single car garage? 

Compare your $250.00 per hour profit with what a garage charges, the cost of a hoist etc.  

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

He doesn't understand the value add side of business.

Because anybody can pop open a shock and fill it with washer fluid and seal it back up!  Bam!  Good as new!  All they need is a vice, screwdriver and a shingle to hang!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We pay good coin for our places here to keep the deadbeats out.  That would be you.

Man, you really got butt hurt. Are you having trouble sitting down?

By your house price logic a 500 square foot apartment in Paris or London England are a deal too. 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Because anybody can pop open a shock and fill it with washer fluid and seal it back up!  Bam!  Good as new!  All they need is a vice, screwdriver and a shingle to hang!

Obviously he has nothing to fear from you. 

That’s something everyone on this forum has in common. 

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Judging by the amount of work he had lined up those folks were itching for him to get back so HE could work on their shocks. I don’t think he’s got anything to worry about.

Yep. Each of these customers knew that I would be home Saturday. Some had dropped the shocks off before I actually got home and the others showed up mid day yesterday. 1 was a repeat customer the others were new customers. 

I service shocks for Racers for free. I do it because the local shops charge $100 each for a rebuild with no warranty. My only ask is that the racer pass the word to friends and family and send some paying customers my way. I usually get a few paying customers from each racer I service shocks for. 

Sled shocks are much easier. They are smaller and cleaner. I can typically service 5 to 6 piggyback style shocks per hour when im in my groove. A typical piggyback sled shock takes about 250ml of fluid. A front RZR shock takes about 500ml. A rear takes about 1300ml. 

I pressure wash all SXS shocks before I even touch them. Even if the look clean they get hosed down. The dirt on a sxs shock gets everywhere upon disassembly. 

18 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I took a shock apart once.  I think yer all set .  :bc:

7 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Seems like you’ve got a great gig. High pay, low overhead and you appear to be saying you work when you want.

If you aren’t worried about people knowing, that’s cool 

How many people on this site are capable of doing what you do? What is the maximum investment it would take to buy the equipment?  Could someone do the work in a single car garage? 

Compare your $250.00 per hour profit with what a garage charges, the cost of a hoist etc.  

The minimum equipment to get started is about $500. $1000 for some of the specialty tool for disassembling Elkas, Exits and other exotic shocks. You could easily service shocks from a single car garage. Valving, seals kits and spare parts to be able to keep the majority of shocks going is about $2000. 

Servicing shocks is not difficult. The most important things are to be consistent, measure everything, do not get distracted, if something doesn't seem right it isn’t. 

Although I work out of my own garage I almost never drink while servicing shocks. Its just a respect thing for the customer. No doubt I could drink beer and service shocks but i just don't do it. If anything I wait till Im on the last shock before popping a top. 

3 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I'm a bit curious how you straighten the shafts? I guess I always figured they were shot when bent or else they'd leak at the seal or something. Keep in mind I don't know shocks other then older stuff for RC cars :lol:  

So most shocks have a solid shaft from end to end. As long as the bend doesnt wrinkle the chrome plating it can usually be straightened.

5/8” KYB shafts can not be straightened. They are incredibly hard. Ive tried a few times but it takes so much effort its just not worth it. 

For straightening I have a little jig I put in my vice. There are 2 aluminum supports on one side of the jig and another on the other. I use the jig and spin the shaft to find the high side basically when the shaft quits spinning. I give the vice about half a turn and it pushes the high side straight. I keep spinning the shaft till I cant detect a high side. Once done i roll the shaft on a piece of glass. I can normally get just about any 1/2” or 5/8” shaft straight in a minute or two.  

Bends close to either end are much more difficult to straighten. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The minimum equipment to get started is about $500. $1000 for some of the specialty tool for disassembling Elkas, Exits and other exotic shocks. You could easily service shocks from a single car garage. Valving, seals kits and spare parts to be able to keep the majority of shocks going is about $2000. 

Servicing shocks is not difficult. The most important things are to be consistent, measure everything, do not get distracted, if something doesn't seem right it isn’t. 

Although I work out of my own garage I almost never drink while servicing shocks. Its just a respect thing for the customer. No doubt I could drink beer and service shocks but i just don't do it. If anything I wait till Im on the last shock before popping a top. 

I have a friend that builds off road trucks on the side. Mostly fab work and welding. He has a rule. The tool box has to be closed before a beer gets opened. He doesn’t let anyone drink in his garage while he is working, they have to stand on his driveway.  It’s funny as shit,because he is a big beer drinker. A lot of the stuff he is welding,is safety equipment so I 100% respect his rule.

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I wonder what the round trip would cost for sled shocks?  Chicago to AK?

Four sled shocks without springs will fit into a USPS large flat rate mailing box. I think its up to about $18 to send the flat rate box anywhere in the us. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Four sled shocks without springs will fit into a USPS large flat rate mailing box. I think its up to about $18 to send the flat rate box anywhere in the us. 

How much for kayak shocks?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I have a friend that builds off road trucks on the side. Mostly fab work and welding. He has a rule. The tool box has to be closed before a beer gets opened. He doesn’t let anyone drink in his garage while he is working, they have to stand on his driveway.  It’s funny as shit,because he is a big beer drinker. A lot of the stuff he is welding,is safety equipment so I 100% respect his rule.

I could drink beer and service shocks but I just dont do it. Im not that worried about it but its just not right in my mind that someone would be paying me their hard earned money and I would be getting lit up while working on their shocks. 

Same with weed. I dont smoke weed because im still in a random UA program with my consulting work for BP. When I finally sever that tie I will likely partake in a bit of smoke. I wont be getting high and servicing shocks. Unless they are my own of course. Hahaha

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

On a motorcycle trip out west yrs back I just flat rated my dirty clothes home and bought new shit along the way.

One thing I offer that almost no one else offers is loaner shocks. I have a couple dozen matching pairs of shocks. Mostly front shocks but several rear and center shocks too. The majority are walker and fox shocks. Lots of different lengths and configurations. 

If I have to order parts for a customer I offer them a set of loaners to get them by for a weekend or two.  I know my shocks pretty well so I can give them set that will match their riding style.   Most are completely blown away by this. 

Its kinda fun helping people stay on the snow and not miss out on a riding opportunity. The customers are incredibly grateful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

On a motorcycle trip out west yrs back I just flat rated my dirty clothes home and bought new shit along the way.

Hahahaha. Thats awesome. Good idea too. 

29 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Man, you really got butt hurt. Are you having trouble sitting down?

By your house price logic a 500 square foot apartment in Paris or London England are a deal too. 

II would shoot myself before living in gay Paris or London.  I have no desire to live in the country when we both work in the city.  I would also have a difficult time attracting talent being somewhere else.  It works for me, being on a 60x150 lots is a good size for here, and the homes just south of me on one acre lots go for more than your entire net worth plus daddies portion.  

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I could drink beer and service shocks but I just dont do it. Im not that worried about it but its just not right in my mind that someone would be paying me their hard earned money and I would be getting lit up while working on their shocks. 

Same with weed. I dont smoke weed because im still in a random UA program with my consulting work for BP. When I finally sever that tie I will likely partake in a bit of smoke. I wont be getting high and servicing shocks. Unless they are my own of course. Hahaha

I’m in the same random UA program. My bud is a PipeFitter/ pipeliner. His welding on rigs gets put to the test.

696F8B59-812F-49BC-884E-5359482B65D6.jpeg

To add to the myth that “anybody” could or should be doing this for somebody that wants it done properly; I don’t ride with or know anybody that sends their shocks to anybody not well known for their performance work.  In 2011 or 12.  I was in a pinch.  It was the start of the season and my rear shocks just flat out took a shit.  I didn’t want to wait to ship them to my usual suspect so, I brought them to somebody local that I “heard” could do them.  Done!  One day.  Back in and out on the trail.  First set of three footers and my rear piggy blew out.  Wtf?  So I limp it home and both rears were leaking.  Yup!  “ANYBODY CAN DO THIS!”

Worse part is, I paid just as much as if I went to my regular race shop guy...which is where they went right after this incident.  

Funny part-when I called the guy to tell him about his hand work, he asked if I had them adjusted properly.  :lmao:

And just to be clear. Shock work is feast or famine for me. Some days I will have 16-20 shocks to service. Then I may go a week or two and not service any. 

When I was working a regular schedule I could count on servicing 20-30 shocks a week when I was home. But none when I was away. And it would be mostly winter time work. 

SxS shock servicing has really picked up this last couple of years. I much prefer sled shocks but oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’m in the same random UA program. My bud is a PipeFitter/ pipeliner. His welding on rigs gets put to the test.

696F8B59-812F-49BC-884E-5359482B65D6.jpeg

That is a cool looking rig with some decent parts on it for sure. The axles alone are worth close to $15k and maybe more. 

Wonder how he gets his shackles to stay tucked back like that. That prevents them from rattling.