Check your account email address ×

Basic lawn tractor recommendations????

44 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, Harvest Equipment in Newport is a big JD dealer. They have a bunch of stuff in stock. Everything from small mowers to big ag equipment. They did quote me the same price as HD on the mower. I sent them an email last night to see if they were also offering a free cart like HD. Haven't heard back from them yet. I'll probably still buy from them if I go JD even if I have to pay extra for the cart.

guy who owns the biggest JD dealer in maine told the big perm to just go to the HD and get the free cart.  the jd dealer does the assembly and service and theirs no real margin for them in them so they don't care if you buy it at the HD esp if you can get a freebie.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Mostly flat without any rough terrain. I have a small hill that will take 2-3 passes, but that's it. I wouldn't mind a 46" mower for the neighbors, but I think the 42" would work better for me. Since I'm buying it for me I'm leaning toward the 42".

I think Rigid is certainly the expert here but, IMO, I think most mowers will probably work fine for you for many years.  Still, if you can nab a higher grade model via Craig’s or classifieds for the same price, I’d go that way.  

If you are buying new from a chain store,  I’d pay attention to deck thickness and ease of working with it (getting it off and on, blades and belts) The deck is what really takes some tough abuse.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think Rigid is certainly the expert here but, IMO, I think most mowers will probably work fine for you for many years.  Still, if you can nab a higher grade model via Craig’s or classifieds for the same price, I’d go that way.  

If you are buying new from a chain store,  I’d pay attention to deck thickness and ease of working with it (getting it off and on, blades and belts) The deck is what really takes some tough abuse.  

Yup, ALWAYS get the welded deck option..(if available on your mower choice)

This is the 1 I have now, 4 years old, however mine has a 23 HP Kawasaki engine, this one is a 21.5 HP Kawi. I paid $3,300.

Our Price
Shipping Info
Model: 17AWCBYA056
$3,899.99
$3,749.99
Sale Price Ends in 12 Days

In-Stock
Ships Monday, May 27th

Edited by XCR1250

• Platinum Contributing Member

@ckf, go buy this, looks like he is about 30min from you..offer him $1500, I'd go as high as $1800. I'll hook you up with a sulky so you can ride instead of walk,..that mower is 10 times anything your looking at, will last a home owner lifetime

IMG_20190524_100911317.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just checked the local dealer. They just have the Zero turns in stock so that isn't going to work. I just heard back from a dealer that has a Cub Cadet XT2 LX 42 in stock. Is the XT2 that much better than the XT1? Is the Cub Cadet better than the Deere?

The XT1 and XT2 are basically same.  I believe the XT2 comes with bearings vs bushings for the front axles and also electric blade engagement so you just pull out a knob on the dash instead of moving a manual lever on the side.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I don't have  very big lawn, but I also do my neighbors from time to time and his lawn is about an acre. I'm looking for a basic lawn tractor to mow with. I've been looking at the John Deere E120 and the Cub Cadet XT1 LX46.  Any recommendations?

Cub Cadet was bought out by MICHIGAN TOOL AND DIE about 20 years ago. MTD makes a ton of equipments under different names.

We have an original Cub Cadet about 45 years old. Built like a tank...still running.

I have a Cub Cadet 50" from Home Depot, 12 years old . It has been brutalized on my place. 

Cub Cadet like John Deere has at LEAST three lines. The cheapest ( CONSUMER ) lines are the ones you see at Lowe's, HD. 

That having been said, my HD Cadet is still running. The engine and transmission are still working. A real problem with it though is if the POWER belt from the engine to transmission needs replacing!! It is a horror show!!! I had to heat and bend 3 ears they have on the PTO clutch to remove the belt. Luckily I had torches. If not you have to literally lift the engine to remove/replace the belt. 

I've also had to repair/replace some other smaller parts. However, my place is very rough in places, and the machine has been roughly used. 

Would I buy another one...……...yes, but I have welding, cutting , and tools to fix them. If the engine goes, I'm screwed though. 

I think if you have a smooth, decent area to cut, the Cub Cadet would be ok. 

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

in the basic lawn shit are they all not more or less the same mtd with a diff hood and paint ? 

Not really.   Deere makes all their higher end dealer models in Horicon, Wi while all the Home Depot less expensive ones are made in a TN Deere facility.  

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

30 years ago cub made a great tractor, id rather have a 30 year old cub than a 3 year old cub..

I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for 25 years, Deere and cub are piles of shit. Simplicity makes a very good tractor

There's no doubt Simplicity makes good units but the price reflects that also. I have a 2000 Scotts rider which was made by John Deere and sold at Home Depot. I use it to mow my home and cottage, I have beat the living shit out of that thing and it just won't give up. I'm actually impressed with how well it has held up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ckf said:

I don't have  very big lawn, but I also do my neighbors from time to time and his lawn is about an acre. I'm looking for a basic lawn tractor to mow with. I've been looking at the John Deere E120 and the Cub Cadet XT1 LX46.  Any recommendations?

Robo mower.  

5 hours ago, ckf said:

Robo mower.  

5 hours ago, ckf said:

Robo mower.  

4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Whatever you do dont buy a Deere especially and E series, Giant pile of shit, I wouldnt buy a cub either also a pile of shit.. Simplicity makes a great tractor..Check out the Hustler Raptor or Dash also..

Maybe the box store specials, but I have an x730 and its built like a tank.  Last tractor Ill ever need.  Get something with pressurized oil circulation so the motor doesnt lose lubrication on the hills.   I would rather buy a used higher grade mower than a new piece of shit mower. 

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 1

Buy an MTD made unit and just make sure that it has an external oil filter. Grease it where there are fittings and call it a day. Craftsman et all at the 2k price point are cheaply made but they work fine. I've had expensive units before and they make work a bit better most people buy them to show off to their neighbors. Save your money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I have ya fucking ree-tard.  Let me guess. You have one for your 1/10 acre lot and its just awesome.

Sorry fucktard. My lot is over an acre.  On the river and I can walk downtown.  

I built if before I was married.  Pro-tip.  If you keep your wife satisfied, you get to keep all your shit. 

17 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Maybe the box store specials, but I have an x730 and its built like a tank.  Last tractor Ill ever need.  Get something with pressurized oil circulation so the motor doesnt lose lubrication on the hills.   I would rather buy a used higher grade mower than a new piece of shit mower. 

the box stores only have access to the E series, a Deere dealer will have the X series, which is better by far than the E series, But not even close to being built like a tank.. Your mower weighs 863lbs, mine is 1495lbs, lifetime warranty on frame, deck too.. Deere pisses me off because what they do to their customers with parts.. A Deere owner bends right over and takes it up the ass on parts, and what you paid for that tractor is absolutely outrageous..

• Like 1