Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

1 minute ago, Doos said:

4lb flats are tough to get right. You really have to smoke for a bit then dump in a bath of beef broth, and cover. 

Do you have a Costco close? Their prime full packers are pretty good, and priced pretty well. You can always freeze the point if it’s too much, great for chili whenever you get around to it.

Packers are so much easier to cook....

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yep, and more fun too. 

Have you tried one of the Snake River Farms Wagyu packers yet? Bit of a splurge but amazingly good, the cost limits me to about one a year. 

10 minutes ago, Doos said:

Yep, and more fun too. 

Have you tried one of the Snake River Farms Wagyu packers yet? Bit of a splurge but amazingly good, the cost limits me to about one a year. 

Haven’t yet....my dad and I bought a whole wagyu 1/4 though. It’s being butchered within a week. It’s 1500lbs in the hoof right now and our quarter is gonna be 240lbs of beef in the paper. I’m stoked to get it

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

Just now, f7ben said:

Haven’t yet....my dad and I bought a whole wagyu 1/4 though. It’s being butchered within a week. It’s 1500lbs in the hoof right now and our quarter is gonna be 240lbs if need in the paper. I’m stoked to get it

Nice. It’s amazing how different it is, even feels different.

43 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The closest Costco is 2 and a half hours away. I'll check with the butcher tomorrow to see if he offers the fl brisket when he has it. He gets $6/lb for the brisket.  He raises all of his own beef, pork and chicken.  

35 minutes ago, Doos said:

Nice. It’s amazing how different it is, even feels different.

I can’t wait to try it

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

The closest Costco is 2 and a half hours away. I'll check with the butcher tomorrow to see if he offers the fl brisket when he has it. He gets $6/lb for the brisket.  He raises all of his own beef, pork and chicken.  

The point helps keep the flat moist with all that fat rendering down. Also burnt ends are fantastic. It’s worth it to find a whole

23 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I can’t wait to try it

The point helps keep the flat moist with all that fat rendering down. Also burnt ends are fantastic. It’s worth it to find a whole

Walmart might have a packer, but we have been avoiding the place.  It's become the weekly  / daily amusement park for some families,  lol. 

This little one will let me get my feet wet, lol

21 minutes ago, ckf said:

Walmart might have a packer, but we have been avoiding the place.  It's become the weekly  / daily amusement park for some families,  lol. 

This little one will let me get my feet wet, lol

Just shoot her up and rub her down and then wrap before you hit the stall and sauce it for the final hour. You know the drill. Plan on trying to give it 8-10 hours at 220. Get the temp to 200f

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, dz246 said:

Just heard about these the other day. Gravity fed charcoal unit for around 500. Reaches temps of 700. Kind of peaked my interest.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series™-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

Update..... :lol:  

Found a deal at Cabelas for the larger 1050 model, $100 off and free shipping. 

masterbuilt 1050.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dz246 said:

Update..... :lol:  

Found a deal at Cabelas for the larger 1050 model, $100 off and free shipping. 

masterbuilt 1050.JPG

Cool, a Guinea pig, lol.  Looking forward to hearing how it works. :lol:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Cool, a Guinea pig, lol.  Looking forward to hearing how it works. :lol:

Yep, been using pellet grills for several years. Be a slight learning curve. Think I've watched every YouTube video about it... :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dz246 said:

Yep, been using pellet grills for several years. Be a slight learning curve. Think I've watched every YouTube video about it... :lol:

I did the same thing with the pellet grill :lol:

23 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Don’t they have fucking charcoal or wood in Mexico???!

Yeah, just tear it off of the side of the house. LOL A bit of lead based paint for flavor.

Edited by Big Crappie

33 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

This little propane grill is the shit with the cast iron. Get her hot,1/3 pounders 2 minutes on each side. Its like pan seared with out having to clean a pan.

F8DF3686-D190-43F5-A158-DF4691DACE6B.jpeg

516D85D3-FDB2-4B53-B781-E9FF15925DAF.jpeg

2711BB23-1A4C-40EE-A9C8-4466E711F3FB.jpeg

Good god man, scrape the last meat off before you grill.

42 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Good god man, scrape the last meat off before you grill.

It is wire brushed quick after it gets to 600 degrees. It cast and is seasoned.  That grill gets cleaned good when it catches on fire,it’s science.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It is wire brushed quick after it gets to 600 degrees. It cast and is seasoned.  That grill gets cleaned good when it catches on fire,it’s science.

Weird, I have 2 grills with cast grates and never get those black grill marks. I do mop some veg oil on the grates each time.

Just now, Big Crappie said:

Weird, I have 2 grills with cast grates and never get those black grill marks. I do mop some veg oil on the grates each time.

Do you get them up to 600 deg?