***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
52 minutes ago, dz246 said:

I usually run it at 250, and wrap when it hits 165-170 internal. 

Dumb question I know but when you wrap it do you leave it on the smoker or pull it? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Dumb question I know but when you wrap it do you leave it on the smoker or pull it? 

I leave it on the smoker most of the time. When the weather is shitty I have brought them in and finished it in the oven. Mine is just about to the stall four hours in to the cook and it's at 155. It will probably stall around 160.

IMG_20200624_134726-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

once it's wrapped it doesn't really matter. But since the smoker is hot might as well keep it on there. In the winter you might want to transfer to an oven to finish.

The meat stops taking on smoke once it passes 140F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, ckf said:

@Jimmy Snacks

Total cook time for the 5lb butt was 8 hours for it to get to 202 degrees. Pretty much set it and forget it with the pellet grill.

i wish my hopper was better so i didn't even have to refill it during the smoke.  I think I am going to have the wife get me the camp chef for my bday.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ckf said:

@Jimmy Snacks

Total cook time for the 5lb butt was 8 hours for it to get to 202 degrees. Pretty much set it and forget it with the pellet grill.

Nice and that’s what I need...the old set it and forget it!😜👍🏼

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i wish my hopper was better so i didn't even have to refill it during the smoke.  I think I am going to have the wife get me the camp chef for my bday.  

I think my Camp Chef holds 22 lbs of pellets. That was my longest cook so far and there was still plenty of pellets still in the hopper when done.  The sliding grill option does make a significant difference for grilling  :bc:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Nice and that’s what I need...the old set it and forget it!😜👍🏼

The ones with Wifi are even easier.  You don't even need to get off the couch to monitor or change the pit/meat temps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think my Camp Chef holds 22 lbs of pellets. That was my longest cook so far and there was still plenty of pellets still in the hopper when done.  The sliding grill option does make a significant difference for grilling  :bc:

The ones with Wifi are even easier.  You don't even need to get off the couch to monitor or change the pit/meat temps.

Perfect!!🤣👌🏼👍🏼

27 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I can't remember where I saw it but someone makes a hopper extension.

Edit: here it is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V9JM3TD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wKm9EbP64M514

Edited by Big Crappie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Not a BBQ or smoker but another outdoor cooking appliance. Just picked it up today!

IMG_20200701_181549.jpg

MVIMG_20200701_194650.jpg

Looks like a quality griddle but why fry hamburgers when you can grill them?

We had similar units for our Boy Scouts back in the day for cooking breakfast mostly. You can get a lot of pancakes and sausages on that bad boy.

4 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Looks like a quality griddle but why fry hamburgers when you can grill them?

We had similar units for our Boy Scouts back in the day for cooking breakfast mostly. You can get a lot of pancakes and sausages on that bad boy.

Look at the sear on the burgers.  I have a burger press that smashes it into the griddle.  Plus I wanted some fried vadelia onions!

Mainly it's just what I had on hand and the griddle was hot from seasoning it.

IMG_20200701_211754.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Look at the sear on the burgers.  I have a burger press that smashes it into the griddle.  Plus I wanted some fried vadelia onions!

IMG_20200701_211754.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love a good fried burger but grilled over open flame is my preference and our gas grill has a side burner to do the onions or I love whole slice of onion directly on the grill.

A guy could cook up one hell of a breakfast on the baby.

18 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Don't get me wrong, I love a good fried burger but grilled over open flame is my preference and our gas grill has a side burner to do the onions or I love whole slice of onion directly on the grill.

A guy could cook up one hell of a breakfast on the baby.

Good both ways, just different.  It's what I had in the fridge. They were good eating and the wife like it too.

Breakfast is going to be my specialty on this thing. Eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, french toast, gonna be fantastic.

• Like 1

Our snowmobile club has a griddle for cooking hamburgers. I love my flame bbq but the those ones we cook at the clubhouse are damn good too. WE use an electric fry pan for the onions. Butter, a bit of oil from the deep frier and worchestershire, awesome on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Good both ways, just different.  It's what I had in the fridge. They were good eating and the wife like it too.

Breakfast is going to be my specialty on this thing. Eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, french toast, gonna be fantastic.

Hash Browns!!! Don't forget Hash Browns!!!! :bc:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

IMG_20200701_211754.jpg

I have been eyeballing one of those as well. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:00 PM, ckf said:

We just got a call from the inlaws raving about how good the pulled pork was last night. They said it was the best that they have ever had, lol

You should try the pulled pork on hoe cakes sometime, PBS has the recipe.