***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

I keep going back and forth on getting a smoker grill of some kind, or a Big Green Egg.  

Only have a little propane tabletop camping grill that has served us many meals over the years.  

A little challenging to cook for 3 on it at times but we get it done anyway.  

15 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I keep going back and forth on getting a smoker grill of some kind, or a Big Green Egg.  

Only have a little propane tabletop camping grill that has served us many meals over the years.  

A little challenging to cook for 3 on it at times but we get it done anyway.  

I really like my pellet grill/smoker. :thumb:

33 minutes ago, ckf said:

I really like my pellet grill/smoker. :thumb:

Hard to beat the ease of use and pellets have gotten much cheaper around here lately.

Liking the Masterbuilt, but still gonna use my GMG as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dz246 said:

Hard to beat the ease of use and pellets have gotten much cheaper around here lately.

Liking the Masterbuilt, but still gonna use my GMG as well.

I love the ease of use for sure.

Ribs turned out great!

IMG_20200621_184133-01.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

those look great.  smoked some half chickens tonight for dinner. Bold rub and memphis so the chicken had some heat to it.  

I used a little competition 181on a few to give them a little zing.

19 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

those look great.  smoked some half chickens tonight for dinner. Bold rub and memphis so the chicken had some heat to it.  

We used the Cookin Pellets that you suggested. Great smoke flavor compared to what I had been using :bc:

Boneless chicken breasts are on the Camp Chef set to low smoke (170ish).  I'll bump it up to high smoke (220ish) after an hour of low smoke. :bbq:

i think those by far give a better smoke,  i'm using a traeger hickory blend as the wife wanted to try something different and it does not penetrate much even though hickory base it should be more.  I'll be back to the cookin pellets once this small bags done if not sooner.  Prob use these on things like chicken wings and reverse sears where I am not as much looking for a big smoke

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i think those by far give a better smoke,  i'm using a traeger hickory blend as the wife wanted to try something different and it does not penetrate much even though hickory base it should be more.  I'll be back to the cookin pellets once this small bags done if not sooner.  Prob use these on things like chicken wings and reverse sears where I am not as much looking for a big smoke

I read somewhere that some of the cheaper pellets are flavored hardwood and not the hickory, apple or whatever they call it.

On 6/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, ckf said:

I read somewhere that some of the cheaper pellets are flavored hardwood and not the hickory, apple or whatever they call it.

Traeger use to do that. I use lumberjack competition blend pellets mostly. Good for anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

As you know I’m clueless about smoking so for something like this what temp do you smoke at and for how long?

225 till it's done. Biggest issue with a butt is the stall.  when the fat breaks down it can sit for hours at the same temp.  Your trying to get to 195-200 degrees so you can bump the heat and wrap it in some foil to get through the stall but the best is when it gets through it on it's own.   2 hours per pound so usually i do a smaller one and make it an 8-9 hour smoke.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

As you know I’m clueless about smoking so for something like this what temp do you smoke at and for how long?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

225 till it's done. Biggest issue with a butt is the stall.  when the fat breaks down it can sit for hours at the same temp.  Your trying to get to 195-200 degrees so you can bump the heat and wrap it in some foil to get through the stall but the best is when it gets through it on it's own.   2 hours per pound so usually i do a smaller one and make it an 8-9 hour smoke.  

I bump mine up by 25 degrees instead of wrapping if I want to hurry it up. I like the bark for pulled pork.

• Thanks 1