Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

1 hour ago, Rw06GT said:

We used to go to Templeton farm when we had the place in east Calais. I'd take a nice afternoon and drive down there before ordering from someplace online.

Looks like they're set up for selling from the front porch for now.

http://www.templetonfarm.com/php/farmstore.php

Thanks! I also found a place just over the border in NH.  They were closed today when we went by, but their website looked like they carry everything that I'm looking for. They raise most of it themselves and buy from other local farms. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Woodtick said:

I use these. They can take some abuse and don’t flex or bend when fully loaded. The lip around the edge keeps the wife from yelling at me  from dripping and spilling.

A28DF074-6B78-4912-8EAB-7E58B2728E5B.png

Same here.  Use the heavy sheet pans and heavy duty foil from Gordons food service.  Meat goes on the grill, foil in the garbage, pan is ready for the final product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, ARTIE KATZ said:

Same here.  Use the heavy sheet pans and heavy duty foil from Gordons food service.  Meat goes on the grill, foil in the garbage, pan is ready for the final product.

After using heavy duty foil the regular stuff just won’t do...thanks for the suggestion BTW...simple and effective.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

After using heavy duty foil the regular stuff just won’t do...thanks for the suggestion BTW...simple and effective.

We don't bother with the regular foil anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTIE KATZ said:

I was buying both from Gordons, finally got smart and now just buy the HD.  18" x 1000' I think, heavy box when it is new. Lasts about 4 months.

We have the standard width and the extra wide.

Boneless country style ribs are up to 152° after an hour on low smoke (170°), and another hour on high smoke (220°) .  From what I read these modes sacrifice holding a consistent temps for more smoke.  

So far so good with the Camp Chef.  It seems to do everything that I wanted it to. The hot grill area created by sliding the heat deflector does a good job in the middle of the grill. It would be hard to cook several full size steaks at the same time due to the smaller fire area compared to a gas grill that covers most of the grates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ARTIE KATZ said:

I was buying both from Gordons, finally got smart and now just buy the HD.  18" x 1000' I think, heavy box when it is new. Lasts about 4 months.

They sell heavy gage foil at other big box stores,you just have to hunt and peck in the isle.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ckf said:

Boneless country style ribs are up to 152° after an hour on low smoke (170°), and another hour on high smoke (220°) .  From what I read these modes sacrifice holding a consistent temps for more smoke.  

So far so good with the Camp Chef.  It seems to do everything that I wanted it to. The hot grill area created by sliding the heat deflector does a good job in the middle of the grill. It would be hard to cook several full size steaks at the same time due to the smaller fire area compared to a gas grill that covers most of the grates.

Look for inexpensive welding blanket  to throw on top of the smoker. You will hold heat better in low ambient conditions. Bhen makes fun of my electric smoker. It’s 100% insulated,similar to a refrigerator.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Look for inexpensive welding blanket  to throw on top of the smoker. You will hold heat better in low ambient conditions. Bhen makes fun of my electric smoker. It’s 100% insulated,similar to a refrigerator.

We've thrown away a bunch of welding blankets over the years. My old man used to be a boilermaker.  One of the companies that I remember him working for when I was young was CBI Chicago Bridge & Iron.  Have you heard of them?

• Thanks 1

Just now, ckf said:

We've thrown away a bunch of welding blankets over the years. My old man used to be a boilermaker.  One of the companies that I remember him working for when I was young was CBI Chicago Bridge & Iron.  Have you heard of them?

Go to pm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Wonderful job presenting a clean plate for us to view CKF!!!!

The cornbread was the icing on the cake. 99 cent Jiffy mix. :lol:

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Wonderful job presenting a clean plate for us to view CKF!!!!

Indeed!  x2.  If you are gonna present to the forum, do that shit RYTE!  Nobody wants to see a backyard slop plate.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

got my Utz rubs so i need to pick a butt or ribs up for this weekend.  I'll prob head to the meat shop this afternoon to see what they have.  

Mine are in town, but I haven't picked them up yet.  This will be my control cook to compare the UTZ rubs to.