Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

After 2 hours in the foil they are back on the smoker @225.  If it were just me I wouldn't have wrapped them as I prefer the bark. But.....

:lol:

1/2 hour out of the foil.

20200514_173044-01.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roosting said:

I find I like to let it go for a bit out of the foil (at 225f)and dry the ribs out a bit. Gets that bark back a bit then sauce them up and let that go till it firms up

I do basically the same.  They have been back on for an hour and need a little more time.  I'm going to skip the sauce this time as I put a little in the foil with the honey. 

31 minutes ago, ckf said:

After 2 hours in the foil they are back on the smoker @225.  If it were just me I wouldn't have wrapped them as I prefer the bark. But.....

:lol:

1/2 hour out of the foil.

20200514_173044-01.jpeg

fucking women

10 minutes ago, Roosting said:

I find I like to let it go for a bit out of the foil (at 225f)and dry the ribs out a bit. Gets that bark back a bit then sauce them up and let that go till it firms up

i don't sauce mine till the very end of the cook if at all.  if i do sauce it's usually done on the weber with a bit more heat,  mine being uninsulated doesn't come up real high 

Got some country style ribs for saturday night dinner.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

fucking women

i don't sauce mine till the very end of the cook if at all.  if i do sauce it's usually done on the weber with a bit more heat,  mine being uninsulated doesn't come up real high 

Got some country style ribs for saturday night dinner.  

Right!!!

I'm pretty happy with the temps on the Camp Chef. It was up to 477° when I grilled steak the other night.

11 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Lol, on my phone it looks like your smoking a rat with tail still on it.

Zoomed in it looks really good.

I can see it now that you mentioned it,  lol. 

4 hours ago, ckf said:

Grilled a couple of small pot roasts on the Camp Chef.  It got up to 530f when I was warning it up to grill. 

20200519_171443-01.jpeg

how long to get up to temp.  thats been my concern with dumping the weber and the small traeger in favor of a new pellet grill

14 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

how long to get up to temp.  thats been my concern with dumping the weber and the small traeger in favor of a new pellet grill

Not all that long, maybe 15-20 :dunno:   I'll hit the stopwatch next time I grill.   The slide and grill seems legit as long as you aren't expecting the entire grill area to be as evenly heated as a gasser.  As much of a gadget geek that you are, go for the wifi model unless you can get a killer deal on an older model without wifi.  It's $199 to buy the new wifi controller if you want to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, s pump said:

This UTZ stuff is legit.....that is all.

I've got to go in to town tomorrow to grab the rubs.  The sauces have been great. If I had to pick just 2 out of the 4 it would be the Memphis and Honey Q. Those are the two that I go to the most. One's sweet and the other has just enough of a kick to spice things up.

• Like 2

Did chuck eyes myself tonight and bacon wrapped shrimp

weber kettle was at close to 560f at the vent and probably 700f at the grate according to my temp probe

Steaks were close to perfect. I pull them at 118f center temp

• Like 3

I need some pointers for brisket.  I called a local farm to see if they had any brisket and they had 2 flats left. She said the weight was around 4 lbs. 

Do I want to inject it with something or just dry rub?

16 minutes ago, ckf said:

I need some pointers for brisket.  I called a local farm to see if they had any brisket and they had 2 flats left. She said the weight was around 4 lbs. 

Low and very slow ....I inject with a little beef bullion mixed with some dry rub. A 4lb flat is gone need wrapped to prevent drying out while cooking slow

Edited by f7ben
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ckf said:

4lb flats are tough to get right. You really have to smoke for a bit then dump in a bath of beef broth, and cover. 

Do you have a Costco close? Their prime full packers are pretty good, and priced pretty well. You can always freeze the point if it’s too much, great for chili whenever you get around to it.