Check your account email address ×

***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

51 out at 4:30am in February something just doesn’t seem right about this 😞 

It's been in the mid 40s here all night. The clubs have been closing their trails this morning :(

• Sad 1

• Gold Member
37 minutes ago, ckf said:

It's been in the mid 40s here all night. The clubs have been closing their trails this morning :(

I don’t mind the warm down here it’s kinda nice but it sucks when it happens up there mid winter. It looks like only the very northern tip of Maine is staying somewhat cold today. Hopefully this Friday’s storm is a good one🤞

Edited by 800renegaderider

On 2/25/2022 at 6:30 PM, Mainecat said:

Almost 14 hours in the plow truck and it just finally stopped snowing. 12” of powder 11 degrees.

It takes me about 2 1/2 hours to plow, snowblow, and shovel our place. 

I couldn't do 14 hours if someone put a gun to my head. 

After 14 hours I would be backing into every car, tree, stonewall out there!!  

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Buy some real tools.  That is absurd.  Great excuse to spend money on something fun!

STFU!! You don't know my place, you fucktard. Doing my fukkin place is like doing about 20 regular driveways. STFU!! 

Actually, my place is WORSE than 20 driveways because it's dirt, and gravel!! STFU, you bitch!!!  

I posted pics, you big 800 PUSSY!!!  

I don't know, but driving all day to find good sledding is kind of self-defeating.

I mean like WTF!! I know how much fun sledding is, but just how much time, money and energy should you spend for a day or two of sledding???

Woofie drives all the way from Ct. to Jackman, Maine.  Can the average guy do that with gas going crazy?  At some point, sledders will say nah, it's not worth it. I don't know, maybe not. 

I just remembered that I have seen VERY FEW sleds and trailers going by this season. I'm on a busy road that connects to the highway, but I've not seen many trailers/sleds this year. 

Actually, I hope I'm in a position to head up to Pittsburg next season. 

I'll see how things go, and if things are looking good, I'll try to find a new sled, and head up. 

I can hardly find any new sleds on-line in my area!!

Am I doing something wrong, or are they all sold out??????

I think I would like the YAM VIPER. Something quiet, smooth and dependable. 

There's NONE around!!! 

11 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

STFU!! You don't know my place, you fucktard. Doing my fukkin place is like doing about 20 regular driveways. STFU!! 

Actually, my place is WORSE than 20 driveways because it's dirt, and gravel!! STFU, you bitch!!!   

Pave it moneybags.  Problem solved.  Then buy good tools.

11 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

I don't know, but driving all day to find good sledding is kind of self-defeating.

I mean like WTF!! I know how much fun sledding is, but just how much time, money and energy should you spend for a day or two of sledding???

Woofie drives all the way from Ct. to Jackman, Maine.  Can the average guy do that with gas going crazy?  At some point, sledders will say nah, it's not worth it. I don't know, maybe not. 

I just remembered that I have seen VERY FEW sleds and trailers going by this season. I'm on a busy road that connects to the highway, but I've not seen many trailers/sleds this year. 

Busiest year ever in the past 10 BY FAR.

13 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Pave it moneybags.  Problem solved.  Then buy good tools.

Busiest year ever in the past 10 BY FAR.

In southern NH?  

The saga continues with my house building plans. We spent a week in Nova Scotia to see about building materials etc and talking to the builder. We started off with one model that has doubled in price, looked at another and realized we'd have to spend more to build a garage and the 3rd one has gone up significantly. We are waiting for a quote from the builder for a turnkey build . He won't be able to start till next spring and hopefully material costs come down a bit by then.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Not sure what it is that fascinates me about construction photos of the Mackinac Bridge.  I have always been in awe of the engineering of the job ... and knowing that from design beginning in January 1953 to opening of the bridge to traffic on November 1, 1957. And as if that time frame of only 4 years wasn't impressive enough, all of the highly complex calculations were done with mathematicians and engineers using slide rules and pads of paper - no computers to do the structural analysis. Even the calculation of when and how tight to cinch down each bolt and adjust the final tension of each cable was done that way. About 40 years later I attempted to use a finite element analysis program to make some of the same calculations, and found it daunting - but also found that the computers could barely have calculated any more precisely - from the dimensions of the beams to the building of the cables, strand by strand.  This bridge is not just a monument to those who built it, but also those who figured out HOW to build it.  If we take good enough care of it, there is good reason to think it will still be there for my great-great-grandchildren of the cross safely, just as my grandparents did back in 1958.

B34897F0-A27F-4C71-8E63-CB37A7E2383D.thumb.jpeg.0ba6783c31cf1981c48cdf6742823c8c.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 5:41 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not sure what it is that fascinates me about construction photos of the Mackinac Bridge.  I have always been in awe of the engineering of the job ... and knowing that from design beginning in January 1953 to opening of the bridge to traffic on November 1, 1957. And as if that time frame of only 4 years wasn't impressive enough, all of the highly complex calculations were done with mathematicians and engineers using slide rules and pads of paper - no computers to do the structural analysis. Even the calculation of when and how tight to cinch down each bolt and adjust the final tension of each cable was done that way. About 40 years later I attempted to use a finite element analysis program to make some of the same calculations, and found it daunting - but also found that the computers could barely have calculated any more precisely - from the dimensions of the beams to the building of the cables, strand by strand.  This bridge is not just a monument to those who built it, but also those who figured out HOW to build it.  If we take good enough care of it, there is good reason to think it will still be there for my great-great-grandchildren of the cross safely, just as my grandparents did back in 1958.

B34897F0-A27F-4C71-8E63-CB37A7E2383D.thumb.jpeg.0ba6783c31cf1981c48cdf6742823c8c.jpeg

I also am amazed at what goes into building something like that. 

They say that the Empire State Building is so well-maintained it could last hundreds of years.  

15 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

It took several months but I finally found a mini z that was reasonably priced so I went and picked it up this afternoon. Kids gonna have a good Christmas surprise next year if I can keep it hidden long enough.

01A6042A-D8C9-4351-81AD-9601D674B034.jpeg

whats scary is you prob had t pay for that what I paid for my sons new in 2004

Edited by Angry ginger

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

whats scary is you prob had t pay for that what I paid for my sons new in 2004

I actually got a real good deal on it paid $700 but I did look for months for one because I refused to pay 2-3k for one. It got listed and I got to the guys house the second he got home from work. Runs good normal scrapes for a 98 but no cracks in plastics no seat tears mechanically seems good beside needing a brake band. If I get ambitious over the summer I might paint the thing and slap some new decals on it. Next winter can’t come soon enough 👍 

47 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I actually got a real good deal on it paid $700 but I did look for months for one because I refused to pay 2-3k for one. It got listed and I got to the guys house the second he got home from work. Runs good normal scrapes for a 98 but no cracks in plastics no seat tears mechanically seems good beside needing a brake band. If I get ambitious over the summer I might paint the thing and slap some new decals on it. Next winter can’t come soon enough 👍 

i thinki paid 1300 new for my sons it was an 03 i bought in 04 when i ordered my snowcheck.  crazy to see the pries on some of this,  same with people getting more than i paid for my brand new sled trailer in 03 20 years later.   

• Like 1