Check your account email address ×

First wedding

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

This is a little less than what we paid..............As far as I know. :lol: Not including remodeling the entire house for out of state guests.

I stayed out of the planning as much as possible, I thought all those women would be choking each other by the time it was all said and done.

200 guests, nice venue, good food & booze.

We went to a wedding Friday, if you are going to do it, do it right. Offering your  guests crappy food, cheap booze, cash bar, is tacky. Amazing how some people will come and give nothing or 25 bucks to the bride & groom.

My youngest daughter wants to get married at our camp in the near future. Which works for me except for all the blackflies that will show up uninvited.

NFW am I ever paying for a big wedding for my daughter,  mine including the honeymoon and engagement ring was about $12k.  Got married on the beach in St Lucia so much easier than all the bullshit and had a reception for 70 or 80 friends and family when we got back at a local restaurant.  

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

NFW am I ever paying for a big wedding for my daughter,  mine including the honeymoon and engagement ring was about $12k.  Got married on the beach in St Lucia so much easier than all the bullshit and had a reception for 70 or 80 friends and family when we got back at a local restaurant.  

My wife and did the same...but in Florida. :bc:

I paid for 2 the same year,  2012.  I got off cheap.  Youngest daughter wanted a wedding.  $20k later she had a very nice AK style wedding at a beautiful riverside lodge.  Oldest daughter wanted to elope.  She and her hubby flew to Bora Bora and got married on the beach.  We had a reception for them when they returned about a month later.  We gave them $5k which they reluctantly took.  

You can't go wrong either way Snake.  In the end a wedding adds about 1-1.5 years to your retirement plans.  Not a big deal unless you have lots of girls. :bc:  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

I did the same exact thing but was in Antigua. On the beach just before sunset! Used the rest of the money from my parents for the house we bought :bc: 

Edited by Skidooski

5 hours ago, Cold War said:

This is a little less than what we paid..............As far as I know. :lol: Not including remodeling the entire house for out of state guests.

I stayed out of the planning as much as possible, I thought all those women would be choking each other by the time it was all said and done.

200 guests, nice venue, good food & booze.

We went to a wedding Friday, if you are going to do it, do it right. Offering your  guests crappy food, cheap booze, cash bar, is tacky. Amazing how some people will come and give nothing or 25 bucks to the bride & groom.

We are planning on 150.

Open bar for the duration, with the Premium pkg booze.... Crown and Grey Goose caliber as opposed to Canadian Mist and Orlov.... :lol:

I also went to a judge. Then honeymoon is a cheesy motel. She left 2 days later and never saw her for 6 months.

44 minutes ago, Snake said:

We are planning on 150.

Open bar for the duration, with the Premium pkg booze.... Crown and Grey Goose caliber as opposed to Canadian Mist and Orlov.... :lol:

I also went to a judge. Then honeymoon is a cheesy motel. She left 2 days later and never saw her for 6 months.

When my buddy got married, he found out all us groomsmen and ushers were going golfing the next morning.  Whatever time we show up to golf, here comes that crazy fucker to golf with us because his new wife is hung over and he didn't want to go to gift opening.  :lol:

16 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Average cost of a wedding in 2016 was $32,640.

No thanks.  

Thats about what my 1st one cost in 1994. FIL paid for most of it only for us to get divorced 4 years later. Current wife and I were both on our second marriages so we did it on the cheap, said fuck all that noise... 

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Thats about what my 1st one cost in 1994. FIL paid for most of it only for us to get divorced 4 years later. Current wife and I were both on our second marriages so we did it on the cheap, said fuck all that noise... 

I think if I'd ever have to get married again, I'd go to the court house followed by a hog roast.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I think if I'd ever have to get married again, I'd go to the court house followed by a hog roast.  

Ditto.

Wife was denied what she wanted, so I have no issue with this at all. Just don't expect more than the basic involvement from me.

26 minutes ago, Snake said:

Ditto.

Wife was denied what she wanted, so I have no issue with this at all. Just don't expect more than the basic involvement from me.

Well aren't you a sweetheart. :lol:

18 hours ago, ckf said:

My grandmother offered my cousin $25K for a down payment on a house or $10K for her wedding years ago, she took the $10K :wall:

Wow. 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

We are planning on 150.

Good call. :bc: 

The last wedding we were at half the party was packed into the upstairs bar,  no one wanted to drink cheap booze. The place we found had a working relationship with a local hotel, that provided  transportation to & from. All our  guests, wedding party, had a block of rooms. Made for a good time.

37 minutes ago, Snake said:

Ditto.

Had moms, grandmas,aunts, all throwing their two cents in. I wasn't poking my nose in that hornet nest. I was in charge of getting tux and showing up. :lol:

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Ditto.

We had it and if we were to go back, it would be quite different.  Cut out the guests from the parents and do a destination.  

Just booked our 20th anniv trip to Banff.:bc:

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Good call. :bc: 

The last wedding we were at half the party was packed into the upstairs bar,  no one wanted to drink cheap booze. The place we found had a working relationship with a local hotel, that provided  transportation to & from. All our  guests, wedding party, had a block of rooms. Made for a good time.

Had moms, grandmas,aunts, all throwing their two cents in. I wasn't poking my nose in that hornet nest. I was in charge of getting tux and showing up. :lol:

Same deal, and at a discounted rate to boot.

The wedding party actually stays right at the venue. Honeymoon suite and rooms for the rest.

12 hours ago, hayward said:

Let me guess, new sleds made it number 1 on your list?

Nope, the biggest ripoff is the price of jewelry, especially engagement rings. Tons of young couples get in financial trouble because of the need to try and impress others. They spend money they don't have, on something they don't need, to impress people they don't know. Kinda sad. Like I mentioned earlier, young kids to-day have their real priorities all messed up, because they want it all now, whether they can actually afford it, or not. Nothing wrong with blowing money on bling, when the financial time is right.

Personally, when we started out, the last things either of us wanted to blow hard earned cash on was jewelry and a huge wedding that would cost us a fortune. Instead, we put it towards furniture and appliances, and a down payment on a home.

Others opinions vary,  and that,s ok. We did it our way, and it worked out well for us.

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Nope, the biggest ripoff is the price of jewelry, especially engagement rings. Tons of young couples get in financial trouble because of the need to try and impress others. They spend money they don't have, on something they don't need, to impress people they don't know. Kinda sad. Like I mentioned earlier, young kids to-day have their real priorities all messed up, because they want it all now, whether they can actually afford it, or not. Nothing wrong with blowing money on bling, when the financial time is right.

Personally, when we started out, the last things either of us wanted to blow hard earned cash on was jewelry and a huge wedding that would cost us a fortune. Instead, we put it towards furniture and appliances, and a down payment on a home.

Others opinions vary,  and that,s ok. We did it our way, and it worked out well for us.

We had ours at the church across the street where we lived.  Had an old farmer who was a close friend haul all of us to the reception up through town on a hay wagon with an old tractor.  Had the reception at the local fire house, food prepared by the ladies aide.  My father-in-law was well impressed with the total bill for everything, and the thing is, he'd a had the money to throw a huge shindig, but that just wasn't who we were.  Right out of college, living in a small apartment, both working, think I was making 7.50/ hour as a mason tender and sawmill laborer, and she was waitressing at a diner.  A couple of our friends had weddings after that at fancy places and I remember asking her if she was disappointed that we didn't do that, and it never bothered her one bit.

I did buy a new sled 2 years later.  And yes I think it was more than the wedding cost. :ashamed:

Edited by hayward
  • Like 1

My parents paid for their own wedding, my wife and I paid for ours, I'm expecting the same from my kids.

I'll pay for the bar and help out on stuff but if they want to spend a house downpayment on one day, that's their lesson to learn.

Weddings have become a huge scam. Tell them you are having a big party and the rentals are one price, tell them it's a wedding and it triples.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

My parents paid for their own wedding, my wife and I paid for ours, I'm expecting the same from my kids.

I'll pay for the bar and help out on stuff but if they want to spend a house downpayment on one day, that's their lesson to learn.

Weddings have become a huge scam. Tell them you are having a big party and the rentals are one price, tell them it's a wedding and it triples.

so did you and Tom  adopt over seas or in south America?

23 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

How cute.  You actually think you paid your own way.  Wow.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How cute.  You actually think you paid your own way.  Wow.

Nope. I was born White in Canada to middle class parents. I was already halfway up the ladder. Just had to keep climbing and all was well.

6 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Nope. I was born White in Canada to middle class parents. I was already halfway up the ladder. Just had to keep climbing and all was well.

I don't think you know what middle class is or what paying your own way even means. 

• Like 1