Check your account email address ×

Dodge new electric truck… less stupid than a lightning?

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, akvanden said:

Nope, the gas engine on the ramcharger isn’t hooked up to the driveline - purely for power generation.

I believe large mining equipment have been doing this for years.   

• Like 1

Wonder if this will have an option to let idle while parked to charge the batteries while you're off doing something else. Sounds better than having to find a charger (if you really needed/preferred to run off pure batteries for the 125 mile or so range they have).

We worked on a hybrid vehicle for a customer quite a few years ago.   It was based off a articulating contour following chassis I had a patent on.   We went away from this design because they were just getting into the EV products and didn't have tech and proven components to continue.   This products EAU couldn't pay for new components solely for itself.   The next biggest issue we ran into at that time was using an electric/hydraulic pump to cycle a hydraulic cylinder to articulate the frame.   We were ground sensing dozens of times per second and the inrush on the electric/hydraulic pump was too great for the generator/battery to keep up.   Really cool project though. 

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My 19 Ram has 49,800 miles on it, stays outside and is still minty.  Ask Snake about his 2010 F150.  :lol: 

The truck it's self or the the pile of truck I sweep off the driveway every morning? :lol:

• Haha 4

And the pile of Ford dust falls on the stains the pile of GMC dust left on the tar so don't try that game either.

Traded my only Ram with over 300k on it... rust free. Back in the day but oh well...

• Like 1

• Gold Member

So a standard range lightning battery size or Tesla model S battery size plus a gas engine and 130kw generator attached…..   Sounds cheap and a light weight.  Doesn’t really make much sense TBH.  

38 minutes ago, Snake said:

The truck it's self or the the pile of truck I sweep off the driveway every morning? :lol:

And you go out a buy another truck that has the least amount of aluminum offered from the big 3.

:lol:

Wow .. how original.  Diesel / Electric has been used for ages...

BMW I8 used 4 electric motors, regenerative braking, all wheel drive, a small turbo charged engine and s battery pack ..It was a maintenance nightmare 

Stomp the accelerator, the car would pull everything the battery pack had and instantly the gasoline engine would start to generate more power.    .   . The car accelerated at it's  maximum capacity.

Hybrids, and diesel electric is nothing new.  Wow Dodge is jumping in the band wagon...

I'll stick with my dumb diesel car and Range Rovers.....

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, ICG said:

Wow .. how original.  Diesel / Electric has been used for ages...

BMW I8 used 4 electric motors, regenerative braking, all wheel drive, a small turbo charged engine and s battery pack ..It was a maintenance nightmare 

Stomp the accelerator, the car would pull everything the battery pack had and instantly the gasoline engine would start to generate more power.    .   . The car accelerated at it's  maximum capacity.

Hybrids, and diesel electric is nothing new.  Wow Dodge is jumping in the band wagon...

I'll stick with my dumb diesel car and Range Rovers.....

Ya.  It’s going to be the BMW I3 of the pickup world.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

And the pile of Ford dust falls on the stains the pile of GMC dust left on the tar so don't try that game either.

Traded my only Ram with over 300k on it... rust free. Back in the day but oh well...

How do you get rust stains out of concrete?  Asking for a friend.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Considering the current Ram turns into a failing rust bucket at less than 50k, not sure 200k is a logical comparison.  It should be easily done, but no way in hell I'd trust stellantis to pull that off.

I'd never buy another truck that has a steel body.  The salt and deicer just dissintegrates the steel.

8 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

How do you get rust stains out of concrete?  Asking for a friend.  :lol:

I'd never buy another truck that has a steel body.  The salt and deicer just dissintegrates the steel.

I've used CLR and a scrub brush.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

And you go out a buy another truck that has the least amount of aluminum offered from the big 3.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Snake said:

18 minutes ago, Snake said:

2011 with 185,000... winter use only. Should be a pile according to...

20231115_144503.thumb.jpg.3168fa161844573670319466fbb71bed.jpg

20231115_144456.thumb.jpg.0a59998e8de3fa91770edb9342a0b895.jpg

Hood, front fenders and bumper covers aluminum. Doors, roof and rear quarter steel.

That isn't a piece of shit Chrysler.  Our Jeep with 40k on it, which gets washed regularly as we have a wash card, was rusting at nearly every seam.  Buddies ram is the same, neighbors Pacifica way worse.  My Audi with that on it looks brand new.  Treated and washed comparably.

50 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

That isn't a piece of shit Chrysler.  Our Jeep with 40k on it, which gets washed regularly as we have a wash card, was rusting at nearly every seam.  Buddies ram is the same, neighbors Pacifica way worse.  My Audi with that on it looks brand new.  Treated and washed comparably.

Oh... it's that 'special steel'... :lol: